Picadillo recipe?

I made picadillo for the first time last night, based on a request from TheKid. She used spend a lot of time with a Mexican family (friends with the daughter) and loved pretty much every meal she had there.

It was… okay.

The recipe with very simple - potatoes, gound beef, garlic, onions, tomatoes, poblano, vinegar, tomato juice. It tasted pretty bland.

TheKid said it was much thinner than what she had at her friend’s house. I suggested she ask her friend for her recipe, but they are no longer on speaking terms.

What is your go to recipe?

Try this. I don’t put in any potatoes, although I’ve been in restaurants where the picadillo has potatoes and isn’t tomato-y at all. Your addition of a dash of vinegar is a good one.

I was just wondering what I was going to make for dinner-- you solved THAT for me!! Thanks! :slight_smile:

Make sure you have some nice flour tortillas to scoop it up. (And warm them first! Sometimes on cooking shows, they don’t warm the tortillas–yikes!)

I only use 1/2 green pepper, because its flavor tends to dominate. Use whole one if you like them. Or throw in a red pepper. Or poblano.

I like your recipe, other than the olives and raisins.

When TheKid was explaining picadillo, she was adamant it must have potatoes. It’s difficult to cook like her friend’s mom when there are a bazillion versions (depending on where the family is from), language barriers and I am a boring person who grew up on burgers and fries and is totally not used to cooking latin foods.

She once asked me to make tamales. Yeah, no. Way beyond my ability.

The raisins add a hint of sweetness. Suggest you add a few. Mine is currently simmering on the stove–YUM!

I didn’t put potatoes in mine, but I could have… more to soak up the sauce.

Just ate some on a flour tortilla. Out of this world! The raisins and olives are just little accents in the background. There really is a magical melding of flavors and textures.