Agent Carter S01E03: Time and Tide

“Time and Tide”
Directed by Scott Winant
Written by Andi Bushell

New episode! I loved the first two. Can’t watch this one until next week, but looking forward to reading everyone’s thoughts after I have seen it!

Agent Carter S01E01: Now is Not the End / Agent Carter S01E02: Bridge and Tunnel

The death was very convenient for Carter.

Otherwise, I was entertained all the way through the episode.

Dottie from Iowa is a bad guy, mark my words.

I wanna see Loni Stane!

Emm, so far no real movement on the story line, thats all I got.

Declan

Kind of a filler episode IMHO. I don’t think you can afford a filler episode with a 7 week series.

The theft of Stark’s weapons got her into the action and compromised with SSR, and now has been resolved. Okay - so what is the big arc? Obviously Leviathan is the Big Bad, but 3 eps in, we’ve only seen a bit of it/them.

My wife and I agreed the lurker at the docks - who later gunned down the two guys about to link Carter to the recovered Stark goods - had a rather feminine shape and walk.

Dottie? Is that you?

Also - does every Howard Stark invention glow? Not that it wouldn’t be a real cool feature of a bone-breaking massage device, but harder to hide, you know?

They only recovered some of the weapons didn’t they? Some are still at large right? I enjoyed the episode. I am a sucker for scenes when competent characters have to take one on the chin and look stupid for the greater good. I suspect there is a TV Tropes page for that.

Like last week I like how the Jerky agents are shone to be good at their jobs. Having Carter just run circles around them would be boring. Instead she is in a position where she cant trust them because they ave preconceived notions about both her and Stark.

Not sure how this is being called filler. For one there are only eight episodes so none are really filler. In addition, they located (most of?) the stolen weapons, we got back story on Jarvis, and one of the main character Agents was killed. A lot happened.

A lot of set-up happened. This was anything but filler.

I think we’ll see a redirect with Jarvis being suspected of murdering the agent and the informant. He did not like them being loose ends.

Filler episodes are supposed to flesh out characters, while action episodes move the plot or main story line along. So far with three episodes in the can, we got the main character plus enviromental characters on the map. Three tin men , now two. Two potential love interests, perhaps three if we include the waitress and a potential threat, that we don’t know is human or corparate.

So the show is lagging and its being noticed, if they come out with a killer ep next week , cool, but they are going to have to rethink the next series that they come up with, regardless of how Carter does.

Declan

So just an FYI - next week they’re rebroadcasting last night’s episode, since the State of the Union address is at 9. The next new episode won’t be until the following week, the 27th.

I think I missed something. When Peggy walked up to her chief and that other agent right about when they were going back to interrogate Jarvis, she handed him a file that she stole and said she accidentally took that report. What was the report and why did it ruin the interrogation?

I had to rewatch it. It was kind of awkward–I think what happened was that it told Jarvis that the SSR KNEW the car had been reported stolen so their leverage was lost.
(Or was the Chief coming in pretending to be someone else? And Carter calling him by name ruined the interrogation plan?)

No, you have it. Jarvis did report the car stolen, which was something Carter didn’t tell him to do BTW, she just told him to get rid of it - Jarvis is smarter than he’s letting on. But SSR was telling him they couldn’t find the report, and didn’t believe it existed, as part of their interrogation. Remember they said that butlers know powerful people and he’d lawyer up in a second if they leaned on him too hard. So when Carter revealed to him, publicly, that SSR did have the stolen car report, Jarvis knew that they didn’t really have any reason they could go to a judge with to hold him, so he left.

It was a bit of shaky reasoning though - it’s main purpose was to move along the exposition of Jarvis’s past along with letting Carter show herself to be an exceptional agent while her colleagues see her as the exact opposite.

By Carter letting slip that SSR had the stolen car report, it let Jarvis know that they were trying to hide that he had filed the stolen car report. Without the stolen car report to suggest he wasn’t involved with the Roxxon accident, their threat to deport him (and his wife) was credible. With such evidence, it’s not a credible threat; they’d need more evidence.

Furthermore, Stark’s lawyers could rip SSR a new one if they found out that SSR was hiding evidence. So not only did Carter ruin SSR’s bluff, it made it so they’d need to be more scrupulous in going after Jarvis in the future, to prevent Stark’s lawyers from getting even more ammo against them.

I am enjoying this quite a bit. I like it far better than S.H.I.E.L.D. Maybe it is because of the time period it is set in. Love all the old cars and the Philip Marlowe / Sam Spade “feel”.

Hasn’t the exact same cab been driving past the office like 8 times already?

I think this episode put a few questions from the last one to rest:

Jarvis is not Agent Carter’s romantic interest. We heard Anna’s voice, and he’s clearly very devoted to her.

Green suit is almost certainly dead - Krzeminski said they were “still pulling what’s left of him from the truck wreckage.” So his absence from the shot of the milk truck plunging towards the water was an oversight.

It’s still suspicious to me that we have not seen Anna, only heard her off screen. Something is up with that, I just don’t know what. Maybe she actually died instead of escaping the war, and Stark made Jarvis a thing that sounds like her to help dull the pain of losing her?