facts is facts

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=752626&page=2

**IvoryTowerDenizen **
Mod Hat On
*DrDeth drop correcting people for using a past character’s name to refer to a role played by the same actor. It’s been done before and there is nothing against the rules about it. It is clear the posters know who they are referring to and don’t need your “corrections”. If you are genuinely confused as to who is being referred to then ask. Otherwise you’re just Jr. Modding and hijacking the conversation.
Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; Today at 03:45 PM…

Like I said: But this is the SDMB, whose motto is “Fighting Ignorance since 1973”.

I dont see what’s wrong about correcting a error when someone makes it. How can correcting a error be “Jr Modding”?

I can see * hijacking the conversation* perhaps but how is Please, let it go. We’re going to call him Adama until he’s killed off. And if Lucy Lawless comes back she’ll be referred to as Xena until we can come up with a cute name for her. We already had Hunter killing Hunter., Sometimes takes me awhile to remember all the characters’ names and I don’t always feel like looking them up just for a quick post. So, I use nicknames of various kinds. We’ve been doing that for years. I was no fan of TwoP, and I hated using their nicknames, but the practice of using nicknames wasn’t invented by them., Fine, from now on I’ll call him Lt. Castillo., and so forth also not hijacking?

again: This is the SDMB, whose motto is "Fighting Ignorance since 1973" not “Stealing other boards Crappy in-jokes”. Especially when those Crappy in-jokes spread ignorance.

As I just wrote to you in a PM to answer your report, your correction of people using a past character’s name was Jr. Modding and a hijack. It is Jr. Modding in that you are trying to dictate what people should and should not post in the tread. The fact that the action was not against the rules and has been done in the past makes even more problematic, as you don’t even have a rules violation to stand on.

I find it difficult to believe that you really thought that the posters were confused by what the character’s name was, so your “corrections” were less than sincere. Finally, since the action wasn’t egregious a simple mod note, not a warning, seemed sufficient to keep the thread on track.

Seriously, DrDeth?!

Everyone knows EJO’s character in Agents of SHIELD is Gonzales. But he’s famously known for playing Adama in the Battlestar reboot. It’s a nickname/term of endearment for a far more substantial and beloved character than who he’s playing in AoS.

It’s just human nature. Let it go. :rolleyes:

I cop to the hijack, but others continued it as much as i did, and wouldnt drop it either.

Were they confused? No. But I was, and others well might have been. See, to me “Adama” is from the 1978 TV series.

I have no issue with a Note. Yes, there was a hijack. *mea culpa. *

But if the Note had said “There is nothing against the rules about using a past character’s name to refer to a role played by the same actor. This has gone on to the point of being a hijack, so all of you stop it” i would have been perfectly OK with it.

However- calling out just my half of the hijack was unfair, especially as my original post wasnt unreasonable and a simple correction.

There is no character named Adama in this show. You mean Robert Gonzales (Edward James Olmos)? **Was that post really a problem? **

The reply of I’m going to call them Adama and Charlie. And NOBODY CAN STOP ME!!! Muahahahahah!!! and so forth was where the real hijack came in.

I think if one person makes a correction and others say they are going to continue that error no matter what- they have equal culpability if not more.

Not likely, he’s on a board wide agenda for truth, justice and the American way.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=18242619&postcount=144

Yeah, I believe in “Fighting Ignorance since 1973” the SDMB way, not bring in shit* from other message boards. Is that so wrong?

• we have plenty of our own, original SDMB shit. We dont need stale second-hand shit.:stuck_out_tongue:

You “corrected” posters twice before anyone responded. It was perfectly clear that the posters knew who they were talking about, so your repeated correction was less than sincere.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=18236404&postcount=17
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=18236634&postcount=22

Some back and forth teasing went on with posters asking you to stop.

Then you posted the same thing again.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=18242053&postcount=63

The hijack was created and sustained by your insistence to correct people where no confusion existed. The Jr. Modding was for telling people how they should refer to characters in thread.

If anyone else continues to discuss it in the thread, report it.

Is that really your concern?

ETA, question was for DrDeth.

As a note- I’m about to head out to an event at my daughter’s school, so if I don’t reply to anyone it’s not because I don’t find this all fascinating. :wink:

(Seriously, I’ll be incommunicado for a few hours)

I don’t see how this is Jr. Modding. Maybe it’s annoying, maybe it’s a hijack, but he’s not correcting people for breaking rules.

I can see that it might be a fine line, but he’s trying to dictate how people should post in a thread by repeatedly calling out people posting the way he thinks is wrong. Not all modding is about rule infractions, so not all Jr Modding is about that either.

(And now I’m really out of here.)

I cop to *annoying *, too. :smiley:

But isnt using that stupid meme from that Other TV Board also annoying?

And I want to say- this thread is mostly tongue in cheek, and thanks for taking it that way.* I wuz wrong, you were right, *we only differ on the details.

Maybe you could concede some of those details? :stuck_out_tongue:

Wait, what? I’m familiar with your posts, and familiar with your complaints, and I don’t buy that for a second. This thread is entirely in line with your history.

Tone is so hard to communicate on teh interwebz. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry.:smack:

I didn’t read the thread and I don’t know whether anybody’s behavior was defensible.

I just need to say that the practice of consistently calling an actor by the name of a character from some other show is insanely, crawl-through-the-screen annoying. It’s insulting to every poster who hadn’t seen that particular show and doesn’t make that association. It’s only a smidgeon below spoilers in a non-spoiler thread. It’s jerkish. Jerkish is against the rules. Heck, it’s trolling, and that’s against the rules too.

You’re not going to do anything about it. I get that. That’s wrong, but not a tenth as wrong as telling people not to scream about the annoying jerks and trolls in a thread.

We also need a thread to complain about people who don’t use the quote function so we can figure out what the hell they’re talking about, but that’s for another day.

Altho I dont feel quite as seriously about this as you do, thank you for the support. It is annoying.

I crossed the line a little bit on that thread, I admit. But I wuz provoked!

It isn’t a stupid meme from that other board. Television without Pity is, as far as I know, no longer a website. The nickname Adama could not have come from there. Why would you even think it did? Adama is immediately clear to everyone on the innerwebs.

The practice of using nicknames or using the actor’s character that he is wildly known for, is not something TwoP invented. We aren’t using anything from TwoP. We’re doing our own thing.

IMHO, would you should have done is simply refer to him as Gonzales. Eventually, most of us will remember his name if he sticks around long enough, but there is no harm in calling him Adama.

If you just hate nicknames at all, well - TV show threads must really bother you. Not just this board, but all boards discussing TV shows.

But didn’t they just introduce his character one episode ago?

That’s no time at all to really catch the character’s name. So of course many will use the character name from the show he’s most known for as shorthand.

Plus, he’ll always be Adama to me. sniff

People knew the character’s name on that show isn’t Adama. They were just making jokes about it. So you weren’t fighting ignorance. You were being this guy.