Fargo S2

Premieres Oct. 12 on FX. Looks like it’ll be a prequel, of sorts: - YouTube

Patrick Wilson is playing the Keith Carradine character from S1 as a young Minn. State Trooper: Fargo (TV series) - Wikipedia. You can briefly see little Molly (I presume that’s her) in the back of his car in the trailer.

Yep. The first season happens about 10-15 years after the events in the movie (it shows the guy who found Steve Buscemi’s hidden ransom money in the snow – the only time the movie is referenced at all in the show). And this season is supposed to be a decade or so before the movie.

They mentioned an incident that happened in Sioux Falls that caused the dad character who runs the diner in season 1 to quit the force. This season is supposed to explore those circumstances in detail.

I was a big fan of season 1, so I’m looking forward to this. I’m a fan of this style of television, too, where each season is a self-contained story. I’ve only seen the first season of True Detective, but isn’t it the same way, where the second season is a completely different story with different characters? Are there any more shows set up like this?

American Horror Story does the same thing; although many of the cast is the same from season to season, the settings, characters and plots differ.

The commercials I’ve seen for this seem to emphasize the large number of name actors in it. The first season had some well-known actors, but that wasn’t the point of it.

I’ll let the whole thing air and then watch it. Did it with S1 and enjoyed it a lot.

Did anyone watch the first episode last night? I thought it was a good start. There are a lot of characters, and not all of them got a lot of time, but it was a good introduction.

Season pass has been purchased. I look forward to watching it tonight.

Hopefully this will be better than season 2 of True Detective. Actually, I don’t see how it could possibly any worse.

I watched it. Looks like they’re getting all the pieces in place. Nice foreshadowing by Nick Offerman’s character. I expect things to start moving pretty quickly.

All the reviews I’ve seen have said that it’s just as good as Season 1 was. The critics might not have seen the whole season, usually it’s around 4 episodes that are sent out, but I’m finding reason to be optimistic.

I did not see the first season, but I really loved the first episode of season two. They really captured the oddball quality of the movie. The only thing I didn’t like here was Jeffrey Donovan’s bizarre accent.

Anyone have any theories about the lights in the sky over the diner?

My far-fetched, way-out-there idea? It’s a secret military base where the special forces are prepping/rehearsing for the doomed Iran hostage rescue.

Except for the annoying split screens and music (what is this, Tarantino?) I liked the episode. It’s still capturing the isolation and loneliness of this area of the country.

I don’t know where the grumpy Nick Offerman character is going. I thought his tirade at the bar was distracting, but maybe it’ll make sense by the end of the season.

Poor Cristin Milioti - she was doomed as the dying mother on How I Met Your Mother and now she has terminal cancer. She sure is cute here. At first I thought it was Mrs. Thurman (the sheriff’s wife) from season one, because of the hair style.

I liked the shot of the blood and vanilla milkshake mixing together - nicely done!

The only negative is “is anyone really as dumb as the Kirsten Dunst character and her husband?” At least Martin Freeman had some charm in his bumbling.

I liked the AV Club review of the episode, where he sees her as a bored woman. She was somewhat excited about the shakeup to her life, as opposed to the husband’s dream of taking over the butcher shop and having a litter of kids. She also might be a bit dim (like many people on Fargo are) but that’s not totally why she was acting weird.

Agreed about the split-screen stuff. That was jarring and oddly un-Coen.

As for Nick Offerman’s character, I’m getting the feeling he’s a proxy for a Walter Sobchak type character. If anyone can pull it off, Offerman can.

I also thought the scenes with Kirsten Dunst and “Todd” from Breaking Bad (AKA: Fat Matt Damon) made them out to be a little too stupid and him too milquetoast beyond anything in Season 1 or the movie.

But these are pretty minor. I’m excited to see how Season 2 shapes up.

Todd sure has put on a lot of weight, hasn’t he? I mean, Breaking Bad only finished about a year and a half ago, but he looks like he’s put on about 3 stone since then. Did he do it for the role?

Did anyone else find themselves wondering for a minute if Otto Gerhardt was supposed to be Wade Gustafson? They’re practically the spitting image of each other.

Todd, that’s Jess Plemons, right? I honestly didn’t recognize him* at all because of the weight gain. I never would have guessed it was him.

*FTR, I also didn’t recognize Kieran Culkin, Ted Danson and or Nick Offerman (until he talked).

I assumed that Jesse Plemons gained weight for the role.

OMG. I lost track of time and I’m running off right now to watch the first episode.

But, I want to tell you that during the off season, I re-watched every episode of this show (as well as The Americans, GoT & Mr. Robot - because I think all those shows are superb) and I want to make a comment about Allison Tolman.

I think she is a wonderful actor. When you watch the scenes with her and Bob Odenkirk. It is just wonderful how she allows him to say whatever he wants to say and she is completely polite and courteous and she agrees with him. But she understands that he is a total idiot and fool and so when it comes to solving the murders, she just ignores everything he says and she proceeds as if he didn’t exist. It’s a wonderful lesson for so many of us who have bosses who are total idiots and fools. The workplace is full of those people.

Bob Odenkirk is no slouch either. I love the way he reacts. It’s as if he feels a little offended and a little symied. But deep down, he realizes that he is a total idiot and fool and so he makes some Harumphing noises and threatens her. But he understands that he has to allow her to go ahead however she wants to proceed.

Those scenes were just my most favorite in the entire show. I really thought they were marvellous. I don’t know how two actors that are really so young got to be so great. It’s a real mystery to me. But I just love it.

I watched episode 1 last night and was very impressed.

The show captured me by the story and interesting characters. It was one of those viewings where time just seems to disappear.

I’d say the episode was comparable, or better to the season 1 opener. I’m definitely looking forward to next week!