Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D S03E01: Laws of Nature

“Laws of Nature”
Directed by Vincent Misiano
Written by Jed Whedon & Maurissa Tancharoen

AGH! It’s finally back. I’ve been looking forward to the new season, since last season ended. (Come on Marvel. Give us an Agents of SHIELD cameo in one of your movies!) As much as I have been looking forward to it, I have been avoiding spoilers. So, I have no idea about the status of the Inhumans. Where Jemma is. What’s going on with all of the Patton Oswalts. What Coulson is doing with his body part that used to be a hand. What’s up with Ward and Hydra. Did those crystals change the entire world? Will there be one episode with Skye’s Dad as a common place veterinarian with the most excitement being the birth of puppies? Questions! I can’t wait for the answers. I will get them soon.

You just made my day. Totally forgot this was back on the air!

Off to a good start, I think!

The big spiky-dreadlocks dude was pretty impressive and scary.

I liked the scene on the train with Coulson and Hunter.

I hope May is back next week.

The scene at the end…

I was puzzled at first because I didn’t recognize the woman. When the scene ended I was wondering who this scared woman on an alien planet was, and the whole thing felt like a non sequitur. Finally it dawned on me… Jemma! :smack:

The Five Stages of Grief for Fitz:

1. Denial

2. Science!

3. Digging

4. Screaming at an alien monolith

5. Acceptance

I’m not digging “Casual Friday Coulson.”

Suit up, man!

New Bus :slight_smile:

Declan

I’ll find out in the morning if they’re keeping the practice of releasing the episodes to Hulu the next day. That’s how I’ve always watched and that’s what I need to happen if I’m to continue to watch.

Over the past two weeks I’ve binge-watched both the first and second seasons on Netflix.
We really were too hard on the first season in our Threads here. I actually quite enjoyed it this time around. I enjoyed it the first time, but I always had complaints. The binge-viewing probably benefitted from the fact that I now know what the show is whereas on the first time through I was frustrated that it wasn’t what I thought it was supposed to be.

Another benefit of the binge-viewing, for me this show was always really hurt by the weeks off- especially the long gap from December through January each season. Both the first and second seasons are actually very tight when the episodes are viewed back-to-back over a few days or a week or so.

Looking forward to Season 3!

Whedon has made comments that he doesn’t consider Agents to be part of the MCU (and especially felt that bringing back Coulson undermined the main emotional drama of the first Avengers movie). The Marvel movies and Marvel television are apparently run by separate studios, and there’s been reports of friction between the two over issues such as Coulson’s resurrection and the death/rebirth of SHIELD.

I suppose with Whedon leaving the MCU it’s possible things would change, but to me it seems pretty clear that while the TV is treating the movies as canon; the movies are ignoring the TV show. Definitely impacts my desire to keep watching the show.

So you’re saying Joss Whedon has friction between himself and … himself (as he’s co-creator of the TV show and Coulson’s been on it from the get-go) and also his own brother Jed (showrunner for AoS)? There may be different studios involved, but the overlap between the two production teams belies any split. Yes, Joss has said he, personally, doesn’t consider the series canon for the movies, but that’s clearly wishful thinking on his part given the multiple overlaps - and if he gave a damn about emotional impact, Fury would also still be dead…he may not be the most reliable of narrators, there.

Whedon didn’t kill off Fury and resurrect him, that was the Russo Brothers.

Yep!
Won’t be able to watch until this evening, but I just checked Hulu on my phone and the season 3 premiere is ready and available!

It’s almost like Fitz and Bobbi have swapped roles on the team.

I’m pretty sure I caught a glimpse of her in the preview for next week’s episode.

So to the episode - is there anyone here familiar with the comics who can tell us who Rosalind is, and/or who the Beast-ish Inhuman killer is?

Coulson has Mac’s axe mounted in his office, that’s pretty cool. But Mac apparently will be working on a shotgun/axe hybrid this season.

True, but Whedon was creative consultant on CA:WS and had substantial input into all of that phase of the MCU. And he definitely had creative input into AoS. He’s a tiny bit of a hypocrite, is what I’m saying.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/agents-shield-has-difficulty-going-through-its-inh-226089

According to the AV Club, the beastie guy is Lash, someone who

Hunts down Inhumans whom he has decided are “unworthy” of Terrigenesis - no clue how that his judged.

They only discuss Rosalind as another strong woman character who can be a foil to Coulson like May.

There’s a very knowledgeable Marvel fan who documents as much of the nerdy comic book connections as he can over here if you’re interested.

In any case, spikey guy was Lash, while Rosalind was nobody specific.

Just a side question that’s been bugging me for a while now: Where does SHIELD get its funding? Like, when the agency went tits-up after the HYDRA infestation was revealed, who was providing funds to keep the bus operational, payroll, etc?

Secret accounts, back-room deals with Stark Industries, change from Fury’s couch…stuff like that.

I’m pretty much over Whedon’s whining about Coulson and the studio involvement.
I get that the studio wanted Coulson back and Joss wanted his brother to get a job and basically said “If you are going to do it, at least let me do it right and let my brother help”… but now he just needs to let go.
I think we’re more likely to see Coulson back in the movies (small cameos) now that Whedon is gone.

I actually thought Lash looked… dumb. Are those feathers?

Did we know Lincoln was a doctor?

Popular comic theory is that Rosalind and her crew is a stand in for Abigail Brand and SWORD whose rights might be tangled in with the X-men.

I’d kill for Jemma to try to flag down a ship and have it buzz overhead playing “hooked on a feeling”