Old 12-17-2015, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Star Wars Episode VIII anticipation thread

I strongly suggest we keep Episode VII spoilers out until one month* from its release, which is January 17, 2016. At that point, I say go ahead and discuss full plot details from Episode VII.

We're actually really lucky, since it is only 1 1/2 years until the release of the next movie in the new trilogy. I hope that we don't end up with a delay. I can easily see Rian Johnson requesting a December release date due to time pressures, but I hope Disney holds him to the May 2017 release date. I think they plan to release another Star Wars movie in December 2017(is this true?), so perhaps they will really hold this release date as is.

Without spoiling Episode VII at this point, I can say that one great thing is that when leaving it, the crowd was very eagerly awaiting the next movie. I saw almost no anticipation after the prequel screenings and I have not seen this kind of anticipation since the Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers.

I, for one, can not wait.

*Is a month too long? Would two weeks be better? I'm not sure.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I think they plan to release another Star Wars movie in December 2017(is this true?)
The first Anthology film, Rogue One, is December 2016, and I assume that the next one, young Han Solo probably, will be December 2018, but I guess it may be May 2018. May is traditional for Star Wars, this was only moved to December so it wouldn't be rushed.

Shooting for Episode VIII begins in January, I believe. Rumours and sneaky pics are already imminent.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

I hear Harry Potter is finally going to defeat Darth Vader in this one.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
The first Anthology film, Rogue One, is December 2016, and I assume that the next one, young Han Solo probably, will be December 2018, but I guess it may be May 2018. May is traditional for Star Wars, this was only moved to December so it wouldn't be rushed.

Shooting for Episode VIII begins in January, I believe. Rumours and sneaky pics are already imminent.
I believe they did film some stuff for Episode VIII during 2015. Not a ton, but some.

Yes, principal photography should begin very soon.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

I've got a ticket to see it at 7 AM tomorrow morning on the 80-foot-tall Imax screen at Pacific Science Center - which, according to some clickbait article I saw earlier today, is one of the best screens in America to see it on. (To think it was my second choice - Cinerama sold out too fast.)
Old 12-17-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I've got a ticket to see it at 7 AM tomorrow morning on the 80-foot-tall Imax screen at Pacific Science Center - which, according to some clickbait article I saw earlier today, is one of the best screens in America to see it on. (To think it was my second choice - Cinerama sold out too fast.)
Can I get a ride in your time machine?
Old 12-17-2015, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogance Ex Machina View Post
Can I get a ride in your time machine?
Cinerama Seattle is one of the few surviving Cinerama screens in the world, and it's been significantly renovated since Paul Allen bought it. No time machine necessary. I saw the last Hobbit movie there last year.

EDIT: I just noticed the extra I in the thread title. Consider me whooshed.

Last edited by Smapti; 12-17-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Cinerama Seattle is one of the few surviving Cinerama screens in the world, and it's been significantly renovated since Paul Allen bought it. No time machine necessary. I saw the last Hobbit movie there last year.
I was mostly curious how you have managed to get a ticket for Episode 8. Assuming you mean Episode 7 which is currently in theaters in most of EU and soon in theaters in the US, you might try the other thread.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I am disappointed Lawrence Kasdan is not working on all three movies. I thought that while each movie would have a different director and co-writer, he would be involved in all three scripts. Looks like Rian Johnson is writing VIII and IX alone.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:08 PM

Is it known whether the story for 7-8-9 is already written? Seems like it would have made the most sense to write the full overall story arc, and then divide it into chunks, rather than writing episode 7 and just ending it in whatever state they wanted, with no idea what will happen next.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
Is it known whether the story for 7-8-9 is already written? Seems like it would have made the most sense to write the full overall story arc, and then divide it into chunks, rather than writing episode 7 and just ending it in whatever state they wanted, with no idea what will happen next.
Yes, the basic outline of the story is written.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
Is it known whether the story for 7-8-9 is already written?
George Lucas wrote a treatment for 7-8-9, but it was rejected. Michael Arndt wrote a treatment (I think for the trilogy), but then his screenplay was heavily re-written, mostly adding in all the new Han Solo stuff (I assume the sequence on the freighter, and the attempted rescue, is Lawrence Kasdan's input) so who knows if his treatment for the other films was kept. JJ Abrams wanted The Force Awakens to be mostly stand-alone, in the same way as ANH, which is to say a conclusion of most of the main plot. That leaves Rian Johnson to write almost whatever he wants for his movies, even though Abrams is producing and will have some input too.

In the end, what is known is not much, but from what I've read in the last few weeks, consistency in tone seems to be primarily important to everyone.

(The Anthology movies can have a different tone, though)
Old 01-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Episode VIII is written and will be in full production soon. Episode IX is likely planned in detail since it shares writer with VIII.

Apparently, JJ Abrams has read the script(he is still a producer) and he regrets not directing it. I am optimistic Rian Johnson will do something good.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Release has been pushed from May 2017 to December 2017
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/74225
https://twitter.com/BrettRedacted/st...258048/photo/1

The good news is it doesn't appear to be a production delay--just a marketing one

Brian
Old 01-20-2016, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Boo. I was hoping for a May release. I wonder if they had a film prepared for December 2017 that will be moved elswhere.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:59 PM

I'm interested in the time jump that will occur.

The end of Epi 7 (longest pregnant pause in history) makes you want to see what happened next, but the formula is that we'll jump a year or more later and catch up in the middle of the action. I predict Rey (and certainly Luke) don't even show up for the first 30 to 45 minutes.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:10 PM

Given that Johnson is a vastly superior filmmaking talent than Abrams, I am indeed looking forward to it a lot (while sadly, Colin Trevorrow handling IX means a likely drop, just as it did from V to VI).
Old 01-20-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Boo. I was hoping for a May release. I wonder if they had a film prepared for December 2017 that will be moved elswhere.
I think it's more about moving it away from their other tentpoles. I think Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Pirates 5(?) & Cars 3 are set for that summer.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:20 PM
SDSAB

Here's CNN Entertainment on the 2017 release date being pushed back, and some early pre-production details: http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/21/entert...eat/index.html
Old 01-22-2016, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

My understanding is that Avatar 2 has also moved. Maybe to get out of the way of Star Wars.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:29 PM

That's bullshit, May 2017 is the 40th anniversary. By hook or by crook, they should have kept that date firm for something to come out then. What are they gonna have for that time now, Rogue One on bluray?
Old 02-10-2016, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Episode VIII has started filming
http://collider.com/star-wars-8-film...collidersocial

Brian
Old 02-15-2016, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Official announcement, with a video:
http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wa...inkId=21276840

Quote:
New cast members will include Academy Award winner Benicio Del Toro, Academy Award nominee Laura Dern, and talented newcomer Kelly Marie Tran.
Brian
Old 02-15-2016, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

I like Laura Dern, but for some reason I would never have imagined her in Star Wars.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:29 PM

I wonder how they will handle Captain Phasma in this one. The fact that she was such a pushover in episode 7, given the pre movie hype she got, became infamous. Either they will...

1. Swing the pendulum the other way and give her some bad ass over the top fight sequence where she kicks ass and takes names.

or...

2. Steer into the skid and have her play the fool even worse. If done right it could be really funny.

I don't see an in between really. One is much more likely than two but two could be hilarious.

Last edited by Quimby; 02-15-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

She was the top Stormtrooper, the one with the shiny armor? Is it even a given that she's going to be in the next one? Last we saw her, she was about to be dumped into a trash compactor, on a planet which shortly thereafter failed spectacularly in attempting to contain a star. Granted that we never saw a corpse, but that seems to point towards "presumed dead".
Old 02-15-2016, 08:41 PM
SDSAB

Never say never. I think it's very likely she'll be back.

Here's a very short SW8 production video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQQMLE4FuIQ
Old 02-15-2016, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

I think Captain Phasma is a droid. She can survive anything indefinitely if she's just a computer program in a replaceable mechanical body.

Someone told me one of the new novels negates the droid theory, but I say the books can still yet be misleading, even if they are paying closer attention to canon with them now.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

But if she can survive anything, then why would she be intimidated into treason by just a blaster to her head? Nor am I at all convinced that Star Wars droids have a simple hardware-software duality: Their brains might be just as complicated as ours, and just as hard to disentangle.

I mean, yeah, if they want her back then there's certainly room in the story to do so: She escaped from the compactor and slipped away in some ship or another before the rebel attack began in earnest. I'm just saying that if they don't want her back, they have plenty of excuse to leave her out, too.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
But if she can survive anything, then why would she be intimidated into treason by just a blaster to her head?
Because she's also a traitor and working for the New Republic.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

:BUMP:

It's called "The Last Jedi", announced today.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That doesn't bode well for Kanan and Ezra from Star Wars Rebels.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:43 AM

"Jedi" is both singular and plural.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Yep. I hope Luke does not die in this movie. I kind of think it is 50/50 if he will or won't. It would certainly set up an epic Episode IX showdown between Rey and Kylo Ren(if Kylo Ren kills Luke).
Old 01-23-2017, 11:00 AM

Episode VIII - Revenge of the Alt-Light
Old 01-23-2017, 11:05 AM

Better have Darth Vader.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
I'm interested in the time jump that will occur.

The end of Epi 7 (longest pregnant pause in history) makes you want to see what happened next, but the formula is that we'll jump a year or more later and catch up in the middle of the action. I predict Rey (and certainly Luke) don't even show up for the first 30 to 45 minutes.
Rian Johnson has said VIII will pick up right where VII left off: "I donít want to skip ahead two years. I want to see the very next moment of what happens."

I suppose what the director wants, the director gets. That's the best part about being the director!
Old 01-23-2017, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

This doesn't mean that it is the end of force wielders.
A possible interpretation is that Luke realizes the Jedi approach to the Force is flawed and instead starts a new school of Force wielders.

Brian
Old 01-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
This doesn't mean that it is the end of force wielders.
A possible interpretation is that Luke realizes the Jedi approach to the Force is flawed and instead starts a new school of Force wielders.

Brian
Could be. Honestly, it might be what is best. The Jedi Order, at least in the movies, kind of blows.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:14 PM

Well, in the Star Wars Rebels series, we still have Darth Maul running around, and he knows where Obi-wan Kenobi is, but our heroes only know 'a planet with two suns'.

We just had a two-parter with Saw Gerrera and the team visiting Geonosis to find out what the Empire was building there. They didn't find out, but Saw was still looking.

And this weekend we had a Sabine Wren character development episode where she begins to learn how to wield the Darksabre (Mandalorian lightsabre), which Maul used when he ruled the Mandalorians in the Clone Wars.

So very nearly contiguous with the original Star Wars, we have two Jedi (Kanan Jaris and Ezra Bridger) running around - and Leia has met them. We also have Maul headed for a showdown with Kenobi which seems like it will be mere moments before Ben rescues Luke from the sand people.

And yes, this is Canon. In the Rogue I movie, you had 'General Syndula' being paged, which the director confirmed meant Hera Syndula, of Star Wars Rebels. They also showed Chopper rolling through a scene.

If you have access to Rebels, I'd advise watching this season, even if you found you couldn't get into it before. Well ok, I'd really strongly recommend starting with the two-parter Season 2 ending, Twilight of the Apprentice, Pts I & II.

Last edited by Chimera; 01-23-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Official name = Star Wars VIII The Last Jedi

It is being reported.

ETA: as it was reported up thread, oh, eons ago.

Sigh.

Last edited by WordMan; 01-23-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:14 PM

Something else I found interesting is Disney has started calling the main Star Wars movies "The Skywalker Saga".
Old 01-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Something else I found interesting is Disney has started calling the main Star Wars movies "The Skywalker Saga".
Yes, it is interesting. Maybe Rey is a Skywalker? I figured she really is just a new Force user, even with her mysterious background.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:19 PM
SDSAB

I kind of hope Rey isn't a Skywalker. It's a big galaxy and the major characters don't all have to be related.

I like The Last Jedi as a movie title, but it is a bit ambiguous and doesn't necessarily mean there will be no more Jedi, any more than The Final Frontier was the last Star Trek movie or "The Final Problem" was the last Sherlock Holmes story.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

It's the Skywalker Saga because Luke is still centrally involved, and Kylo Ren is of Skywalker lineage too, so there's plenty to go round without Rey needing to be included. Presumably this episode is more about Luke, hence the title.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:24 PM

Luke walks over to take the light saber, Rey kills him with it.

"One down, two to go"

Then she flies back to see General Organa. They re-use about 3 seconds of Leia greeting someone, then show the door closing and lightsaber sounds.

Door opens. Rey walks out. "One damned Skywalker left."

Last edited by Chimera; 01-23-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Better have Darth Vader.
How? He appears as Anakin in ghost form.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
How? He appears as Anakin in ghost form.
If only they had some sort of... I dunno... cloning technology.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post

That never occurred to me (in relation to RoTJ and Vader's redemption)
Old 01-24-2017, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post

That never occurred to me (in relation to RoTJ and Vader's redemption)
Each of the OT titles have double meanings:

A New Hope = Luke; The destruction of the Death Star (or at least possessing the plans).
The Empire Strikes Back = they find the Rebel base on Hoth; Vader hits out at Luke with his revelation.
Return of the Jedi = Luke is now a Jedi; Anakin returns to the Light Side; the Jedi Knights return to the galaxy.