2010 Masters Pool

I actually did play in the SDMB league a few years ago. I won the quarter.

Cabrera and Ogilvy could shoot 59’s.

And Ikeda.

And Villegas.

I can’t believe I have the top 3 and am in 4th out of 8! Glad I took $$$ from my friends on the course today! :cool:

I think the beauty of this type of pool is that you get rewarded for not picking chalk. ShibbOleth picked KJ Choi and his 66/1 odds and he is riding him hard. But you can do well by great “actuarial decision making”, aka chalk, like phungi.

The SDSM Masters Pool is close and I think anyone in the top 6 can win with the double points today. I need help from Bill Haas.

Well, that’s possible. But everyone took their share of longshots. It’s just that KJ is the most notable one to pay off. I’m thinking it might have been best to simply put $50 apiece on Tiger and Phil.

Points earned for Round 4 only (double points included)

Gray Ghost 1748
drm 1460
ShibbOleth 1099
Dinsdale 1030
phungi 891
NFM 132
peekercpa 932
Lamar Mundane 0

Final Pool standings including previous rounds.

Gray Ghost 3573
drm 3019
ShibbOleth 2999
phungi 2716
Dinsdale 2602
peekercpa 1792
NFM 1386
Lamar Mundane 0

Congrats to GrayGhost, you’re wager on Kim was your most lucrative.

well you are right $50 on TW and PM would have yielded $3610. but what fun is that??? LOL Plus I specified that you must take at least 5 players.

FTR, a bet on the third favorite (Els) would have not got you back any return. As Lamar Mundane knows very well.

So, 3 of the top 4 finishers were in the top 5 in terms of odds.
1 Mick: 12/1 (2)
2 Westwood: 20/1 (5)
T4 Woods 5/1 (1)

Only 2 more of the top 10 (11) scorers were in the top 10 in terms of odds.
3 Kim 35/1 (10T)
T10 Poulter 33/1 (9)

Of the top 10 in terms of pre tourney odds, five failed to finish in the top 10.

The “longshot” scorers were:
T4 Choi 66/1
6 Couples 110/1
7 Watney 60/1
T8 Yang 150/1
T8 Mahan 33/1
T10 Barnes 300/1

Did anyone have more than one of that group?

Still kinda shocks me that I placed relatively sizeable bets on 3 of the top 4 finishers, and finished 5th out of 8. Not complaining, just still seems weird. I thought I went with a mix of sure things, good possibilities, and longshots. It is just that only one of my good possibilities and none of my longshots paid off. Personally, made me think more about just going heavily with the shorter odds (at least when real money is involved.) There is still the possibility that Tiger or Phil could tank it, but history strongly suggests otherwise. And longshots are only fun (to me) the relatively infrequent times when they pay off.

Oh yeah - thanks for running this. It was fun and added to the weekend. I’d definitely appreciate it - and will participate - if you did this for the next 3 majors. Maybe we could even see how the original 8 do for the entire slam!

Agree with Dinsdale. This was a lot of fun, notfrommensa, and thanks for setting it up. I’d definitely play again through the other majors. (though there’s no way I’d take Kim for the U.S. Open, the way he was hitting the ball all over the place. Fun player to watch though.)

I don’t have the time to do the research, but it seems to me that a lot more longshots do well at the U.S. Open than the Masters.

Thanks again.

Reported.