Ask the guy being treated for anxiety and OCD...

I think I’ve benefited tremendously in terms of learning truth. Nothing is more OCD than logic. But my social abilities have suffered greatly.

If you don’t mind my asking, Lib, how does Mrs. Lib cope with this kind of rigidity in the details of your household? I’m trying to imagine even being able to remember all the rules and preferences and so forth, but I just can’t (and I’m a fairly orderly person).

Does your wife generally try to keep things the way you expect them, or does she throw her hands up in the air in frustration? [Sorry if this is too personal, I mean absolutely no disrespect.]

She tries as much as a Phleg could possibly try, I suppose. And I do love her for that.

She once told me that she expresses her love for me pretty much in the fact that she puts up with me. That got me to thinking, and I realized how fortunate I was. To have met a woman so beautiful and compassionate who is a Libertarian (well, mostly) and a Christian, and who loves me despite all — well, it’s just emotionally overwhelming really.

Still, she is independently minded and very defensive, completely incapable of accepting even the most constructive criticism offered in even the most humble manner. Therefore, as I told my shrink, I would say that she sees our marriage as something to endure. Possibly for some reward or other. Maybe more of an “I’m too old to start over” thing. I can’t be sure because communication is not her strong suit. I have to read her body language and facial expressions to know what she is thinking. And I’m not all that good at it.

All in all, I’d say that she does a damn good job of putting up with me. I’m hoping that, with successful treatment, we can evolve into something more meaningful to both of us than that. For me, love is more than mere tolerance.

Thank you for your thoughtful answer, Liberal. My best wishes to you both.

Oh, … a Phleg? :confused:
(Would that be a person of phlegmatic temperament?)

Yes.