Ask the Guy From Northern Ontario.

I lived up the same way for three years and I never heard anyone say not to drive at night. You did have to keep an eye out for critter crossings but not more than normal, I don’t think. I did see the aftermath of a car that struck a moose. Not a pretty sight.

IIRC, Nipissing is pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable, which reduces the humour value somewhat. (Try Nepean, instead.)

I’m curious - between Lake Nipissing, Killarney, French River, Algonquin Park and Georgian Bay being within 100+ km radius, how much time do you spend canoeing/kayaking/fishing/on/in the water?

Cat Whisperer: I’m not a hunter. I hate the Maple Leafs, but I don’t really hate the city of Toronto itself. I prefer Ottawa or Montreal, though.

Tom Tildrum: I do read For Better Or For Worse. Lynn Johnston’s residence in Corbeil is about 45 minutes east of me.

cmkeller: What FloatyGimpy said. Driving at night, particularly on Highways 11 or 17, isn’t especially dangerous (unless there’s a snowstorm. Then all bets are off.) If you’re on a secondary route, like, say King’s Highway 124, or an otherwise twisty, windy road, then yeah, I’d stay off it at night unless I had no choice.

Le Ministre de l’au-dela: I’m not really the “outdoorsy” type. Most of my time on/in the water is spent at my parent’s cottage on the Magnetawan River in the Municipality of Whitestone, and then it’s mostly either swimming, or a small boat ride.

Regina too.

I’m currently at AECL. They haven’t found the guy…

We lived in what was then known as the Tri-Towns (New Liskeard, Haileybury and Cobalt), which name has now been watered down “Temiskaming Shores”. Winters were extremely cold, summer was moderate and the black flies were murder. On a really cold night, you could hear the ice on Lake Temiskaming groaning.

We had a moose in our backyard once. I still hate snowmobiles. North Bay was the big city. We used to talk about going “down South” (ie, Toronto).

We never got “moosed” on Highway 11. We did, however, get “refrigeratored” on the Field cutoff and “Christmas treed” on Highway 11 just north of Thibault Hill leading out of North Bay. Both items had been poorly secured on the vehicle ahead of us.

I remember seeing an 18-wheeler sitting in the middle of one of the small lakes beside Highway 11 in the aftermath of a snowstorm; he had followed a turn for a boat launch. He was lucky the lake was frozen.:eek:

Nitpick: Cobalt is still officially separate from New Liskeard and Haileybury. They were supposed to be part of the new Timiskaming Shores municipality, but ended up rejecting it.

Fun fact about Cobalt, the first game that the Montreal Canadiens ever played in their history was against the Cobalt Silver Kings, on January 5, 1910.

As much as the rest of Canada hates Toronto?
Or does he hate Toronto as much as he hates the rest of Canada?

Hates Toronto as much as the rest of Canada hates Toronto. I mentioned upthread that though I can’t stand the Maple Leafs, I don’t hate the city of Toronto itself.

And probably still a better hockey market than Glendale…

I wonder what happened to the poor guy. I bet you know my ex, he’s one of the bosses.

I’ve only been here for about 6 months; who’s your ex?

I don’t really want to say. You may know him and I don’t want him knowing anything about me and I don’t want to know anything about him. He’s a nice guy though.

Batchawana Bay? You were only an hour from the Soo!

(My sister had a camp there…)

Awe, I won’t kiss and tell. What’s his initials?

My in-laws have a summer cabin in NW Ontario, sort of between Ignace and Atitkoken. Never really been northeast of Sudbury, though. We’ll be up there in July for a week of fishing and hiking!

Oh a question… hmm. How’s the weather up there this year? Is it dry (forest fires)? or wet (mosquitoes)? I have to know what to pack for.

So what do you love most about living there?

Ooh, both good questions. :slight_smile:

It’s quiet, and peaceful. Violent crime where I live is for the most part limited to either the odd bar fight, or domestic situation. Other than that, it’s stuff like break and enter, drunk driving, or drug possession that makes it on to the court page of the local newspaper.

And if I feel I need to get out, I have North Bay, a city of about 55,000 about a half hour to the east; or Sudbury, with more than 150,000 people (at least in the new megacity) about an hour to the west. So it’s not quite like I’m totally in the middle of nowhere.