Chronos, you've made an ass of yourself.

The message was:

I’m sure a smart person like you will have caught the nuance in tone.

I’m sure a smart person like you would have known about the rules in the first place.

Another word for crossposting-flooding, spamming, etc etc.

Jesus Christ, people. How many times was Omni warned?

No, by taking a snide tone. You’ve done it often enough when you’ve cared to, I think maybe you’d recognize it when you see it. (See? It’s easy!)

It’s not hard, and requires less effort than was spent. Let me show you how to get a message across, sternly, and with civility, then:

[Sample Admonition]
<Insert prohibited behavior here>*is against the rules, and I would expect you, a long-time member of this board, to understand this. Futher *<Insert prohibited behavior here> will result in sanction(s).
[/Sample Admonition]

Clear enough?

Spoofe: He was a jerk by being sarcastic. Here’s why. Given the delicacy of the matter at hand, that’s pretty much textbook.

Granted, his job is to enforce the rules. However, I could be completely wrong, but I doubt that moderators are picked solely for their ability to dispense sarcasm and biting commentary. Rather, I would assume that knowledge of how to appropriately act in a given situation would be key.

This knowledge, in my opinon, was show to be clearly lacking in this instance.

friedo: Did you miss the part where Omni-not said that he hoped the mods would allow a bending of the rules? Obviously, he did know. Your statement is moot in this argument.

Guinistasia: Is that relevant? How many times was he warned? Did the fact that he was warned previously provide excuse for Chronos to act irresponsibly and inappropriately? This appears to be an instance of justifying a wrong with another wrong. Hammurabi lived thousands of years ago. Let the man rest.

Oh, shit.

Like the mods are sarcastic or rude half the time they close or move a thread? Manhattan’s turned it into a minor art, and we have all at some point paused to admire the skill with which someone is eviscerated for some violation.

Cross-posting is annoying, cross-posting just to ask me to think good thoughts about someone I don’t know is more annoying.

I’ll say it: Chronos, good job, and thanks for the grin. Mr. C, you know I love you (in a platonic, completely uninvolved, unemotional kind of way) but I think you’re wrong on this one.

Being a little on the dumb side, I wasn’t quite sure what Guinastasia was driving at. Mr. Cynical just confirmed my interpretation (unless we’re both in error). So, please let me clarify:

The simple answer is zero. For this and other ‘misdemeanors’.

As I said in my previous post:

Not repentant. Simply royally pissed off.

Obie, you know I love you too, man, in an entirely beer-swilling back-slapping fashion. But I still gotta stick to my guns on this one. Perhaps I wouldn’t be so cranked up about it if it weren’t the kind of thing that friends of mine are going through right now.

I still agree that the thread should have been closed. And, honestly, I can dig that the link was deleted. I just really really didn’t subscribe to the language used.

Sorry to have wasted 15 seconds of your precious time reading that kind of drivel. Hope it didn’t fuck up your day too much.

Yeah, I’m still rolling on the floor laughing my ass about it several hours later.

I suppose it can all come down to one’s intepretation of each, but I found them to be pretty much the same. I’m not trying to pile on either omni-not or reprise for their posts. I certainly understand why they felt the urge to make them. That said, if Chronos did become a little sarcastic, perhaps it had to do with the fact that omni’s message, upon my first read, felt more like he was posting the link in spite of knowing that cross-posting was “forbidden” and not simply because he didn’t have a question. It struck me as if he was posting it, knowing that he was going against the rules, but assuming that the subject matter would make it acceptable. Perhaps it seemed so to Chronos as well. That might have been reason for him to be a little more firm than he might otherwise ave been.

~shrugs~

I’m certainly not competent to read Chronos’ mind on the matter, if he feels the need to defend himself, I’m sure he’ll be along. However, I think the situation is a lot more equivocal than the way it’s being portrayed.

Oh, give me a fucking break. I’ll amend my statement then:

A smart person like [omni] would have not broken the rules in the first place.

I think Gaudere summed it up best:

Not only that, but considering that MPSIMS was where she mostly hung out (all but two of her posts were in that forum), the people most interested in her situation were already being advised.

I’m surprised that you, Mr Cynical, would be this outraged over this. The reply from Chronos seemed reasonable given the circumstances.

Clear enough?

Obviously, crossposting had been an issue a number of times in the past. I simply wasn’t aware of it.

You guys are too fucking sensitive!!! Why does everyone have to be so kind and nice about everything?!?! Any little thing insults and offends you people! Get the fuck over it. All the pit is anymore is people crying about how their feelings were hurt because what someone said, or how someone was not gentle enough when enforcing the rules.

Spamming is just bullshit and it should not be tolerated no matter what!! If the cross post was about anything else, this would not have even been an issue! Ya know… it’s not that the little sick children is not a sad thing and all, but guess what-- not everyone wants to fucking see that. And not everyone gives a shit! People go to GQ to read questions, answer questions, and read answers to questions. We do not go there to hear about who is sick, who we should pray for, who needs money, who’s daddy got hit by a car or anything else!!! We can get all that if and when we go to MPSIMS!! Stop spamming the boards every time you think a thread is worthwhile. If it is important, many people will post to it, and many people will get a chance to see it!!! Trust me, there are almost 14,000 registered posters. If they care, they will see and they will post! There is absolutely no need to fuck up things in GQ just because something is important to you!!

I really don’t see what all this fuss is about. I thought his response was adequate. I did not see any malice, excessive rudeness, or any other thing worth crying about. It was a little frank and unemotional, but as a moderator it is his job to prevent shit like that! Period!

omni-not obviously made a mistake! That is ok, we all do at some time or another. The I have is when a person does not admit to the mistake and then goes further by shifting the attention to the person who corrected him/her.
Doesn’t anyone know how to appologize and just get the fuck on with life???
omni, the big deal is not that you messed up, but it’s that you think you did nothing wrong, and you think we should all be pissed at Chronos! What the fuck is that? You even admit that you did not realize cross-posting was not allowed. Well… then you should have said “Sorry, Chronos, I did not realize I was breaking a major rule. I know now, and it will not happen again.”
Instead you say, “I have EVERYTHING against you for the jackass manner in which you did it.” Well cry me a fucking river! Wah-freaking-wah… he didn’t baby you through it. Have you been a baby your entire life?? Do you need him to whipe your ass when you’re done? …
Well, we all have our opinions now don’t we…

Don’t worry, omni-not. You didn’t waste any of my time. I hadn’t seen the thread until Mr.C pointed me to it. By then it was interesting in the context of this thread. If I had come across it in GQ on my own I would have been annoyed.

In the context of this thread I was just amused.

It didn’t seem necessary to me to point out the obvious, but if it makes you happy…

Let me say that I actually did, in a way…

But that could be taken by some to be pure and simple sarcasm.

I am more than willing to admit that I have made a mistake. An honest mistake. My main beef – my only one actually, and I could be in error in that respect as well – revolves around what I perceived as a lack of tact.

Speaking of which

Yes. We certainly do.

Then I’m glad to have made your day (or at least part of it).

Chronos was being an ass, plain and simple. I see nothing in the registration agreement that forbids crossposting. People crosspost here all the time. Has Chronos decided to re-write the rules himself? You ass kissers who say, “He’s just enforcing the rules,” should go take a look at the rules and tell me where it says not to crosspost.

OneChance-

From the user agreement-

From dictionary.com- Solicitation -

Seems pretty clear to me.

Personally, after barrages of accusations that we mods are the “PC Police”, the idea that we’re suddenly not being sensitive enough is actually somewhat refreshing. Sadly, it had to come at such a huge price: namely, the complete loss of Chronos’ credit, respectability, and face. <snort>

Warning. General rant ahead.

I think that a lot of people get waaaay too riled up over moderator actions. Thread closings, mod warnings and poster bannings, even posters that were apparently beloved by many and will be “sorely missed” really aren’t a big deal. I get the feeling some people walk away from their computers actually fuming mad at some of the things the moderators on this internet message board do. Some of them often hang out in little SDMB-hating clans with chips on their shoulders with specific moderator names on them. They swap war stories of the grave injustices thrust upon them by the demonspawn that run the Big Meanie Message Board. These people are sorely in need of perspective.

This is a fucking message board on the internet. If it ceases to be fun for any of you for any reason then just go away. Type up your angry “goodbye” post and I’ll go ahead and file it in my Things to Be Upset About folder. Really. I’ll file it between “the cancellation of Titans” and “occasional personal dryness”. We’ll both pick up the pieces and go on with our lives eventually, I’m sure. As the internet as a whole is ultimately policed by no one you can post your scathing disapproval in other e-venues. Fine with me. Aside from the more pathetic ones that get pointed out to me for sheer entertainment value, I can guarantee you I don’t read such collective whines.

You do no good to yourself, the mods or the SDMB at large by sticking around and venting like Porkchop Geyser everytime you interpret a mod’s actions as some kind of human rights atrocity. People come and go all the time. Like sands through the hourglass, baby.

Now if you’ll pardon me, I’m going to sleep now. If I lose sleep it will probably be because of the occasional reminder of the mortality that looms over all of us manifesting itself as an ambulance siren screaming down my block. It won’t be because a poster on this message board feels offended by the way in which a moderator enforced the rules.

Does that make me a walking sphincter or just a man with a grip on the Important Things in life? You decide. And let me know. There’s plenty of room in my fucking folder.