Computer/Video Games Most People Don't Remember

Being an odd duck, I was thinking about 1950s monster movies, like you do, and I suddenly remembered a computer game I played circa 1990 called It Came from the Desert. (Wiki Link) In ICFTD, you play as a geologist who shows up to a small town in California to investigate a meteorite. When you discover the meteorite’s radiation is creating giant ants, it’s a race against time to stop the threat.

It’s been more than thirty years since I last played this game, so I’m a bit fuzzy. But I remember there were a series of mini-games, one of which involved shooting at giant ants with a .45 and having to target their antennas, and you had a limited amount of time in-game to beat it otherwise the ants won. It was a lot of fun, and according to Wikipedia, a well rated game at the time, but i don’t remember anyone talking about it in the last thirty years. i.e. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of nostalgia for but Wikipedia does list at least a few games it influenced.

Anyone else remember some long forgotten video games?

A version of it came out for the NES. There was also a sequel for the Apple.

It Came From Beneath The Desert is a fun game, but I was never able to beat it. Of course, I’m playing a version from an abandonware site with no manual. I have a lot more to say. But, it’s late and I’m sleepy.

Loved that game.

What is the criterion? A lot of crap is rightly forgotten. Even then, we could list so many games.

1990s… we have Cosmology of Kyoto — too much a cult classic to be “forgotten”?

How about old multiplayer games like Decwar/MegaWars? Once popular (sort of?), but who plays them today?

There’s a version online here:

Unfortunately, it seems to be buggy. You can watch the opening scene, though…

I think quibbling about what games best meets the criteria is less interesting than a discussion about the games.

Possibly my favorite game from 1990 was Stunts:

Doesn’t exactly hold up vs. modern 3D graphics, but it helped prompt my interest in the subject. And still pretty fun.

One of my favorites as well, along with 4D Sports Boxing by the same people from 1991.

Other favorites of mine from that era include Populous (1989) and Star Control 2 (1992).

Original Castle Wolfenstein

Reminds me of the hardest game ever:

A friend of mine had an Amiga computer growing up, and we absolutely loved playing Phantasy III: The Wrath of Nikademus. I’ve played it on an emulator since then, and it’s still fun today.

My brother and I played so much of this:

If you weren’t part of the Commodore generation, you’ve probably never even heard of it. But we spent hours and hours fiddling with track designs and challenging each other.

Also, on the general topic, here’s a great article about game nostalgia and rediscovering an old favorite.

From the 2000s,

Geniu$: The Tech Tycoon - bought it at a Scholastic book fair in grade school. Still play it every now and then. Pretty much taught me physics, since after 6th grade I never had formal instruction on the topic.

Monopoly Tycoon - same source, still play it a couple times a year.

Adventure Quest - very popular where I lived, when I was in grade school. During the pandemic I actually logged in and my account was still there. I did not understand the stat mechanics at all but somehow managed to reach a pretty high level via class abilities.

Earthland Realms - online MMORPG my cousins played more than me. The name and theme is stolen from the Simpsons episode parodying World of Warcraft, but it was (is) text based.

Pandemic 2 - Flash game that I’m pretty sure inspired Plague Inc.

Line Rider - Flash game, middle school fad. Draw a ski course, be sad your creation isn’t as amazing as people on YouTube. It was actually really fun.

~Max

I feel as if some people remembered this game.

I went to a vintage arcade while on a work trip with a much, much younger coworker. We saw a Wreck-It Ralph game and I had to explain to her it wasn’t really a vintage game.

Ahem, that’s Fix-it Felix, Jr. :nerd_face:

Or Worms?

Definitely Quazatron on the ZX Spectrum. Easily as ground breaking technically and gameplay-wize as more well known games like Elite* with extensive 3D worlds, mini games, and character upgrades, all in 1986 on 48k

* - which itself probably counts as a little known game outside British computer nerds of a certain age such as myself, despite it’s better known modern reboot.

I miss this a lot, from maybe 10 or 15 years back, just a tiny little Flash-based game with fun gravity effects: SpaceCab - Walkthrough, Tips, Review
(screenshot at the link, not to be confused with other similar games that may still exist)