Computer/Video Games Most People Don't Remember

The third game in the series was Curse of Monkey Island.

I never played that one, but it reminds me of Clive Barker’s Undying. It was an FPS released back in 2001. It was set during the 1920s and you were armed with a conventional weapon and had access to some spells. I thought it was a pretty good game but apparently sales were abysmal.

I loved the -hell- out of Mail Order Monsters, but didn’t have my own copy. Instead, my friend with a C64 let me have a save on his computer and we occasionally tried to see which of our critters was better balanced.

And now I’m sad.

Also Scorched Earth:

Excellent artillery game (not even sure why that genre is worms-style but Worms came later I think)

We had a 286 in our secondary school, for some reason, that was co-opted to play this for a full term before the powers that be found out

You had to be very careful with Scorched Earth - it was the first game I pissed off my friends about by cheesing my way to victory. Because if you played with the interest option it was a winning strategy to buy NOTHING early on, and even if you lost every battle, a few rounds later your wealth was enough to outbuy everyone else on gear and crush them with wads of cash.

After I demonstrated that a few times, that option was turned off for all future play. :wink:

GORILLA.BAS was a poor alternative to Scorched Earth (surprisingly, both coming out in 1991), but it was included on every DOS computer, so it had that going for it. No getting in trouble for installing stuff on school computers.

My PC wasn’t enough to play Scorched Earth, I had a similar tank battle game, but it didn’t have the interest or some of the more destructive weapons.

I don’t think I ever played Scorched Earth but I have played many like it (you mentioned Worms which is fantastic).

I had not thought about this in decades but yeah I seem to remember the same issue playing on that misused school 286 (hell it could have been the thing that led to someone grassing on us to the teachers :wink: )

Sabotage was the helicopter game. It was surprisingly good for such a simple concept.

Does anyone here remember Lunar Lander? It was an arcade game back in the early 80s but you can play it online now:

http://moonlander.seb.ly/

Deathlord

It was pretty much an Ultima IV clone, which was fine by me. It was a lot harder, though, and I never finished it.

Here was another game I played, but was terrible at turning left with my crappy mouse.

My first gaming obsession outside of arcade stuff, my ur-computer game, was 1994’s Legions for the Mac. I didn’t have a computer at the time, but a friend I was visiting in LA had this one and after he introduced me to it I was hooked. You could simulate the Wars of the Diadochi! I was still a part-time bio/history major in 1994 (in between a full-time job) with a then current fascination for that period, so it was ready-made history-nerd catnip. I played it obsessively when my buddy was at work for the week I was staying down there and after I came home I resolved to buy a computer :laughing:. I had been considering getting my own PC for a couple of years by then, but I admit that was the tipping point into actually shelling out the bucks instead of just using a computer lab/work computer.

Pretty obscure these days. Back then a crude strategy game based on classical history was not exactly flying off the shelves.

Found that game! It was actually called Star Fire, and Exidy was the company that made and sold it.

My firends and I played the heck out of Scorched Earth in the early 1990s. It was a shareware game, but we sprang for the delux version though I can’t remember what made it better. Sometimes when a tank fired, they would say something in text. Stuff like, “Die!” or other simple phrases. I figured out how to edit the .ini file the game pulled that text from and added things like, “Bob sucks!” that surprised my friends when we played.

Hehe, I remember it, and often play clones of it.

Nothing new under the sun.

Before that, I remember some TTY-based versions, e.g.

Oh, hey; I loved that the few times I had the opportunity to play it.

Oh, yes. One of the best bangs for the buck ever in terms of gameplay vs. computing power.

My personal favorite that I still play a lot is Dino Eggs for the Commodore 64.

I’m guessing a few people will remember that one, but I challenge anyone to beat me at it. I suspect I have spent more time playing Dino Eggs than anyone living. It would be great to arrange a tournament.