Dreamworks bastardizes Aardman??

November 3. Let me know if you miss the clay. :slight_smile:

Uh, I think that should be…(wait for it)…fully FLUSHED out. :slight_smile:

Rather, Aardman was named after a hand-drawn character created by one of Aardman’s founders.

:smack: Gah. I knew that. I meant Nick Park. Or possibly Aardman as a corporate entity. Or something.

FYI, “Claymation” is a registered trademark of Will Vinton, an American animator with no connection to Aardman. He is probably best known for the California Raisins commercials.

So from a technical POV, it’s incorrect to call Aardman’s work “claymation,” and I’ll bet Mr. Vinton pretty damn tired of it. Of course, people are no more likely to stop than they are to stop saying they’re “xeroxing” when they use some other manufacturer’s copy machine.

But I thought you should know.

It’s really sad that he isn’t best-known for the PJs, IMO. I can take or leave Motown, but damn, Eddie Murphy can be real funny when riffing on ghetto stereotypes.

I am rather annoyed that Dreamworks is responsible for another stealing of concepts from Pixar (who are doing Ratatouille)

Like no one ever thought of doing a rat movie before Pixar? And how do you know that Ratatouille was developed first?

I enjoyed The PJs when it was on, but it wouldn’t really be a good example of Will Vinton Studios (now Laika Entertainment) Claymation®- as it wasn’t animated in clay. Rather, they used a process they called “foamation,” as the characters were made of foam rather than clay.

Wikipedia can’t always be trusted, but according to them, the original plot for Flushed Away involved pirates, not rats. Besides, as one of my favorite Simpsons quotes of all time points out, animation is based on plagarism. There have been a number of films in the past that have taken unique views on similar subjects (Pixar’s A Bug’s Life, DreamWorks’s Antz, and Warner Bros./DNA’s The Ant Bully; Pixar’s Finding Nemo and DreamWorks’s Shark Tale). Of course, it isn’t really a case of plagarism per se as that both Pixar and Aardman both had ideas for a film about rats. This is nothing new in animation- one of my favorite animation stories of all time is about the 1946 Oscar and the two cartoons with a similar plot that went up for it- Warner Bros.'s Rhapsody Rabbit vs. MGM’s The Cat Concerto. Rabbit was made first, but Cat was shown first and ended up winning the Oscar. (Both involved a character- Bugs Bunny or Tom- playing Lizst’s Second Hungarian Rhaposdy in concert while fighting a mouse.)

A Bug’s Life/Antz is a bad example, because the latter was rushed specifically to beat the former to the theaters: