Have you ever quit a job without having anything else lined up?

Yes, but I was only 18 and it was McDonalds. They wanted me to work on prom night. I walked out. Right now is the longest I have ever been unemployed in my adult life, 6-1/2 months, but it is the result of lay-offs, not quitting.

I did it once about twenty years ago, right after I graduated from college. I left the full time job I had at the time in order to look for a job in my field of study. I figured it would take me a month or so to find a new job. It took me almost a year, during which I had to work a string of part time jobs just to make ends meet. I would never do that again.

Over the past 26 years - once about 3 years ago. Had been in the “middle management” position for about three years at that point and was just fed up with the “being responsible for everything, but in charge of nothing” aspect. Had gotten to where my week was consumed with trying to correct Corporate management’s f*uckups. Finally decided life was too short to be the project’s whipping boy.

In hindsight, taking a “leap of faith” did come with a financial cost but also a huge stress relief.

Twice. Both when I was fresh out of college.

I took a job selling cars due to a convoluted set of circumstances. I was actually good at it, and over the course of about six months I saved up about 15 or 20 grand. I had moved home after graduating so I had almost no expenses. When the sales manager started cussing me in a Saturday meeting in front of everyone, and then threw a dry eraser at me, I returned fire with my license plate and walked out the door and never looked back.

Not long after that I took a job with a payday lender type place. I was young and had no idea what I was getting into. I’d been there a month, and the day before I was to leave on a scheduled vacation that the manager had agreed to when i was hired, the manager tells me, “By the way, you have to be here tomorrow. I want to take the day off so you have to work.” On my way out of town, I dropped off my office key and my letter of resignation with the one other person in the office. I hated that particular guy got fucked over, but it was the manager that did that, not me. I was considering leaving anyway, but that bit of assholery pushed me over the edge.

Since starting my career(s), I’ve never quit w/o having a job lined up already.