Marvel Agents of SHIELD

I thought it was hilarious when before jumping out the window he looked over his shoulder and said “It’s an origin story!”

Agreed. I hope it stays episodic in nature because I know I’ll miss a few and if it’s like LOST where you get left behind in the story then I’ll stop watching.

Bah! They just stole the idea from Victor Von Doom!

Doombots/LMD’s - which came first? Could be an interesting documentary :smiley:

Enjoyed it, as posters did, for the quippy-ness, and the Whedon tune-up potential.

However, accepting Skye, Fitz or Simmons as anything other than well-meaning puppies will be hard. The actors don’t seem credible as super-intelligent folks - unlike, say, Fran Kranz’s character in Dollhouse. Obviously that can change.

Worth a solid shot.

ETA: Hmm, the actress playing Skye is Chloe Bennet but “born Chloe Wang” - obviously beautiful and kinda pan-racial in a good way, but so far she doesn’t seem like a younger Olivia Munn. Munn used her geek/cheesecake vibe to great success, but always seemed very smart as she did. And then when she busted out the fluent Japanese and economics-speak in the Newsroom - well, yay. It would be great if Bennet can show that kind of sharpness…

Too late to edit: by “like Munn” I don’t mean they are the same ethnicity - I think Munn is half Vietnamese, whereas Bennet appears to be half Chinese. I just mean “hot, mixed race, cool geek smarty”…

ETA: Ah, Bennet lived in China and tried a singing career in English and Mandarin. Cool. Okay, let’s see how she can up the sense of…what would you call it? Intellectual gravitas…?

ETA again! Okay, she was on the show Nashville - that’s where I’ve seen her. A smaller part - obviously not as much anymore…

Doom was using a Doombot in his first appearance, back in Fantastic Four #5 – years before the first LMD appeared, and before the first appearance of SHIELD, even. (We’re talking back before Tony Stark’s first whole-hearted appearance, or even Peter Parker in his pre-spider-bite days.)

So if it turns out that the “third party” is A.I.M., based on the use of Extremis, we’d better get to see the beekeeper suits.

Could be, but people have been speculating that since he died in the movie. I’m hoping that Wedon has something a little more unexpected up his sleeve.

Yeah, some of the self referential and Scooby-Gang humor was good, but a little goes a long way. To paraphrase David St. Hubbins, there’s a fine line between self-referential stupid and self-referential uh,

I knew the car was going to have to fly at some point but the 10 minutes gag sealed it. By that point of the show, my 6 year old son wasn’t really paying attention but I got him to watch it to see that. The SHIELD flying car has been around since the 70s or so.

They also mentioned Dr. Ekstine’s super soldier formula from Captain America being a part of it as well. It was some kind of super hero drug cocktail.

I like the show because I see it for what it is-a live action comic book. The flying cars, the incredible weaponry, the Life Model Decoys and the rest all come from the Nick Fury-Agent Of S.H.I.E.L.D. comic series of the sixties and seventies. That bit where Coulson gave the truth serum to the agent instead of the captive is definitely something Fury would have done in the comics back then. BTW, my current thought is that the Coulson in the series is the LMD.

Can someone clue me in on this?

Reference to Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

OK, thanks.
Since I didn’t watch BtVS I guess I’ll just let it go as one of those things I’ll never grok to :wink:

They didn’t reference Buffy; they acted like the Buffy, aka Scooby, gang. The SHiELD acronym gag; other cute humor establishing gang chemistry. Whedon anchors his stories on the gang’s chemistry and evolving relationships but the inside jokes can be cutesy…

Really enjoyed the show. It is what it is (comic based stories) which means it will be silly and a bit “fantastic” on occasion. But it’s been some time since we had a nice hour long show that was just popcorn fun.

Although it’s a shame Nathan Fillion is busy with “Castle” I think he would fit perfectly in this world in some role.

They will have a metric buttload of stuff to pillage for the show. 30 years of Marvel comics, cartoons and such means they can go just about anywhere with the show. I expect Joss to play the long game now that he’s backed by some serious money and not on a secondary network. There will be some mysteries that won’t pay off for years. Not most of them, just a few. Expect the answer to Coulson to be answered for insiders well before the reveal to everybody else.

But since they overloaded the pilot with references, I expect the next few shows to be largely devoted to setting up the show’s own backstory rather than tying it to any set Marvel arc(s).

And gamma radiation, which was the stuff that made the Hulk.

I have faith in Joss - if anyone works for his miraculous resurrections, it’s him.

And the sweeps week cameo potential are unlimited!

I’m thinking that Coulson was sent to Asgard to get healed. (Thor’s home universe - Now I’m gonna be looking for a line in Thor 2 about it)

I expected the first few shows to setup the group (cast) and setup their purpose (plot). I liked the show and I’ll be back for more.

Might mean nothing, but Coulson (“His first name is Agent!”), in reference to his recovery, said (what I recall to be) the exact phrase in (what I recall to be) the exact same manner and tone of voice, at least twice. (paraphrasing now: ) “Tahiti is a magical place.”

Might suggest implanted memories, a phrase “activated” by someone questioning his convalescence in “Tahiti”, Coulson was actually enamored with Tahiti, or he himself knows where he recovered, but is sticking to the cover story, as that location is classified.

Because of what Maria Hill said to the whispered question (from Ron Glass?) of “He doesn’t know…?”: “No, and he can never know.” – seems to me that Coulson remembers his recovery one way (for whatever reason he remembers it the way he does), while the truth is something that would upset him or perhaps let the cat out of the bag on something very, very, VERY Top Secret.

We knew that the show would need to address Coulson’s resurrection, rather than just ignore it. Hand-waving would’ve been dissatisfying. Giving us a reasonable explanation that was hinted at in the Avengers movie is a good step, but then showing us that explanation very possibly covers up a mystery is a better step.

I’m sure somewhere down the line, Coulson’s recovery will be more directly addressed, but I don’t see it as being a part of the team’s normal storyline. In fact, thinking about it now, I’m not sure that revealing the mystery at any point would add to the storyline. No matter how they (further) explain it, I’m sure some portion of the audience will feel cheated and/or disappointed.

Complete turn into left field: I like that they showed Ming-Na’s character as apparently in the mold of a Black Widow-type: nearly the same type of catsuit, similar fighting moves, etc. Natasha may be the first to call herself Black Widow, but her particular skillset isn’t new to SHIELD, nor should it have been. Neat.

When did Coulson supposedly die?
You can tell I don’t follow to closely :smiley: