Music for driving

The Chicago Public Radio show “Sound Opinions” just had an episode on Driving Songs. They had some good suggestions, but I especially liked The Orb’s Toxygene.

Drivin’” by Pearl Harbor and the Explosions

My car stereo has a USB port so I plugged in this as a permanent hard drive. I have an 8 gb chip in it with music grouped by genre or album. I listen to whatever strikes me as entertaining at the time.

The Dirty Boogie - Brian Setzer Orchestra

Swing is great road trip music.

If your road mix doesn’t have either Bob Seger’s Turn The Page, or the Metallica cover, you should be excommunicated.

Pearl Jam driving songs:
Rearviewmirror
Untitled/MFC
Gone

Short Skirt, Long Jacket by Cake. It’s got an amazing bass line for driving.
Ready to Go by Republica. Good amount of techno/rock/pop mix
Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin. Best for angry driving.

[QUOTE=Serenata67;11344721*Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin. Best for angry driving.[/QUOTE]
Especially in the land of the ice and snow.

One time many years ago I was driving along a rolling country road at night in the ill-fated Chevy Vega on my way to see the future Mrs. J. Thunderstorms were passing through the area, with thunder booming and a fantastic lightning display, bolts hurtling sideways across my line of vision. Whole Lotta Love was playing on the radio, and I cranked it up full. Great memory.

Offbeat driving song suggestion: Drivin’ All Night by The Tubes.

Or where hot spring blow.

My fiancee just mentioned Smoke on the Water. Great bass line for cruising.

I always listen to The Offspring when I’m late, as I’m proven to drive much faster.

German Test Drive by Skymob.

First Tube by Phish for the open highway at night.

“Riders on the Storm” would be a good one, especially if you’re a killer and your brain is squirming like a toad.

“I’m in Love With My Car” by Queen
“Movin’ On” by Bad Company
“Take It Easy” by The Eagles
“The Load-Out/Stay” and “Runnin’ On Empty” by Jackson Browne

Jeez, I’m old.

“Taking Care of Business” by BTO (watch your speed, though)
“Low Rider” by War
“Curbside Prophet” by Jason Mraz
“I’m Alright” by Kenny Loggins
“Highway to Hell” by AC/DC

That’s all I can think of of the top of my head, or I could go on forever. :wink:

For some odd reason, Steve Winwood, Traffic, and anything by Roxy Music just feels right on the highway. Guess it comes from the wanderings during my youth. The Concert for Bangladesh, and No Nukes always make for good road trip mixes with their diverse, albeit eclectic assortments. I always manage to plug in to some Supertramp and Little Feat for giggles, too.

…and you think you feel old, palindromemordnilap?

“Jessica” - Allman Brothers and “Swingtown” - Steve Miller both bring back warm memories of hitting the 401 from Vancouver.

My standard road trip mix starts with Born to Run as the first song I play when leaving and *Radar Love *as the first song I play when returning.

Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
The Stone Roses - Love Spreads
Queen - Ride the Wild Wind
U2 - Hawkmoon 269

Wow, that would be like City Connection in real life, to listen to that while driving.

Most songs by Queen go good with the road. :slight_smile: