Songs that are great for driving

So I want to make a compilation of songs to listen to while I drive. I want two collections, one that is rather fun that I can listen to on the beautiful sunny days with all the windows down, and one that I can listen to on the cool summer nights while I’m out cruisin.

I would like about 20 songs for each set, but I’m stuck. Here is what I have so far to give you an idea of what I’m looking for.

Sunny day, driving with the top down:
Hocus Pocus - Focus
Hocus Pocus - Gary Hoey
Summer Song - Satriani
Hot For Teacher - Van Halen
Thunderstruck - AC/DC
Crossfire - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Party Hard - Andrew WK

Crusin around and lookin cool at night:
Fuel - Metallica
Du Hast - Ramstein
Dragula - Rob Zombie
Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC
You Could Be Mine - Guns N Roses

I guess I see the sunny day as being a bit lighter and more fun like VH. While the night is darker like Metallica and Rob Zombie. I was thinking of trying to get “classic” songs for these. You know, the kind of songs I can listen to that don’t get too dated.

So here I’m asking for your help. What songs would you add to your own list?

Discliamer - I may steal your ideas, after all that is the point of this thread. Then again, I may not. Also, how I obtain these songs is none of your bees wax.

There are a lot of songs that I like to listen to while driving, but the first one that popped into my mind is The Peter Gunn Theme. There was a video game that used the theme as you drove around in a sports car. “Spy Hunter”, or something like that. And I had a little yellow Porsche 924 (don’t laugh – it wasn’t a bad car) at the time, so it all fit together.

I don’t have a “driving tape”, but I have a “ski tape” that my ex-g/f and I listened to on the way to the mountains. It included (in no particular order) “Song for a Winter’s Night” (Gordon Lightfoot), “Hazy Shade of Winter” (The Bangles), “Edelweiss” (Edelweiss), “Blister in the Sun” and “Add it Up” (Violent Femmes), “500 Miles” (Proclaimers), “A Fifth of Beethoven” (by whoever did that one), and some other stuff in an eclectic mix.

Oh – “Paradise City” by Guns’N’Roses is a good one to drive to.

I made a “driving songs” mix CD for my best friend’s birthday. It included:

“Wild Nights” by John Mellencamp
“Rock & Roll” by Led Zep
“Cars” by Gary Numan
“South Side” by Moby
“American WOman” by The Guess Who

… definitely need lots of high-energy songs to keep you awake while driving!

I don’t think any collection would be complete without Bohemian Rhapsody, complete with head-banging at the heavy guitar part.

Well, you can always take the standard “Born to be Wild”, Steppenwolf

I’d also take a little “Panama”, Van Halen and “Red Barchetta”, Rush

There’s tons, but the ultimate driving song in my mind has to be Don Henley’s Boys of Summer.

Shadowfire, you know Focus? Cool!

First one that came to mind was Free Fallin by Tom Petty, which was a killer driving song even before Tom Cruise illustrated it in Jerry Maguire.
Tom Petty’s American Girl is also great during the day, but at night, it’s too creepy a la Silence of the Lambs.

One of the best night driving intros, though, if not the whole song,has got to be Red Rider’s Lunatic Fringe

For interstate driving:

Eve 6 - “Open Road Song”

Also, I always liked Tom Cochran’s “Life Is a Highway”, although a casual poll of my friends proves I’m the only one that does.

Phoebe-
Ha ha. Don’t feel badly. Apparently, I used to like that song. I must have actually paid for it (cringe), since I found the cassingle (remember those?) in my old stuff at my folks house recently. Hey, at least I didn’t spring for the whole Tom Cochran album!

Oh-and how could I have forgotten this one? Day or night, STP’s
Interstate Love Song is one of my favorite driving tunes.

“Jet Generation” by Guitar Wolf
Anything off of “Liquor in Front” by the Reverand Horton Heat
Anything about Hot Rods (“Hot Rod Lincoln” for example)

Don’t forget the classics:

“Radar Love”- Golden Earring

“Chosen One”- Timbuk 3 (the theme from “The Sopranos”- this one kept me awake driving across Ohio on the way home from MobileDope)

“Legs”- ZZ Top

“Centerfold” and “Freeze Frame”- J. Geils Band

“Bhodisatva”- Steely Dan

“Cadillac Ranch”- Bruce Springsteen

“Love Song 89”- The Cure

You can’t go wrong driving to “St. Elmo’s File” by John Parr.

You can’t go wrong driving to “St. Elmo’s Fire” by John Parr.

Might I add Kickstart My Heart by Motley Crue?

Damn you Zappo! I was sure (don’t know why) that nobody else would say Radar Love!

Tsarina, great list! And I do love Michele N’Dege Ochello (who accompanied Mellencamp), but I still say you can’t beat Van Morrison for that song!

And for the Guess Who… you gotta add Undun and Share the Land!

Also, The Allman Brothers, man, The Allman Brothers! Why are we forgetting The Brothers, people??? :smiley:

“Get Out of Denver” - Bob Seger & T.S.B.B.

Actually, the whole “Live Bullet” album.

Well this is the tape mix that I made for riding around the US last year and still use it on the bike. Some are bike related.

Ride to Live Live to Ride, Twisted Sister
Blue Highway, Billy Idol
Blood and Gasoline, Virgin Steele
Iron Horse, Motorhead
Hello America, Def Leppard
Heading out on the Highway, Judas Priest
Desart Plains, Priest
From Here to Eternity, Iron Maiden
Danger Zone, from Top Gun
Coast to Coast, Scorpions
There were a bunch more but now I can’t seem to think of them.

For sunny daytime driving nothing beats No Excuses by Alice In Chains.

“DUI” by the Offspring
“You drink, you drive, you spill” by NOFX
“Black Sunshine” by White Zombie
“RPM” by Sugar Ray
“Gear Jammer” by George Thorogood and the Destroyers
“Let Me Ride” by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg