My daughter is into something called Otep. Should I be concerned.

Forget Avril Lavigne? But you just reminded us she exists!

As an Otep fan myself, I have to think that she would not relish your dismissal of another person’s art or talent, just because it’s not something that you like or agree with. I would think that kind of attitude would be considered very negative and hurtful. Perhaps you’re letting your devotion to Otep turn into a kind of idol worship in itself.

Well, I guess I haven’t grown out of that phase yet. I’m the OP’s daughter, and I still listen to Otep, among many other metal/alternative bands. Pleased to meet you!

Greetings! I’m Diogenes the Cynic’s daughter! Yes, I AM 14 now. No, I am NOT embarrassed that I liked Otep. I STILL love Otep, and many other metal, rock, emo, gothic, screamo, and whathaveyou bands. Great to meet you. :slight_smile:

:wink: I actually like quite a few of the bands that my dad, Diogenes the Cynic, listens/used to listen to, like Nirvana and Cannibal Corpse. I really couldn’t care less if my parents liked the same bands I did. Greetings from OP’s daughter! :smiley:

I neglected to mention, I actually think it would be hilarious (and admittedly, kind of cool) if I DID grow fangs! XD

Welcome, kid. Say hi to your dad for me. But emo? Screamo? Dio at least has some taste, so I blame your mother. :wink:

Well, it’s a matter of opinion. I don’t mind being a young person with no taste in music :wink: Perhaps you’ll feel better knowing that I like Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Pantera, Rolling Stones, Cannibal Corpse, Mötley Crüe, and Guns N’ Roses.

10 seems just a year or two young for this sort of thing to me.
In the abstract. I get that she’s 14 now. I would think 12 to start with such music.

Suddenly, it all makes sense. :eek:

No, if he had cannibalized the corpse this zombie could not have risen again.

Whoa, freaky.

Is this the Dope’s first zombie kid?
Also: welcome to the crazy, don’t mind the zombie jokes. All part of the initiation.

By the way, someone remembered to bring the goats this time, right?

I’m 40 and I like all those genres as well (except for those crappy “whathaveyou” bands :)) I don’t see why more people my age don’t like emo-metal, it reminds me a lot of nu-metal of the late 90s/early 2000s which people my age liked back then – a mixture of hard rock, modern production tricks, occasionally melody, and ragerrific screaming.

I call sock.

I agree. That Ludovic character sounds very suspicious.

Welcome, little sister.

I’m going to say not a sock.

• Her uncle

I’m checking in with her dad to confirm and will let you know.

I would be happy to be wrong. If so, welcome pull up a chair and stay awhile.

Having been accused of a few violations of board rules yourself, you should know not to do this outside the Pit. Knock it off, and that goes for everybody.

I apologize, though I believe my next post was an adequate retraction. Are you similarly warn Ponder? He agreed with me after all, yet I’m singledcout?