Mystery Mafia -- Game Thread

What, a guy makes a sensible but obvious post and you’re thinking this is a sign of anything other than literacy and basic logic abilities?

Good enough to break the ice, anyway. :smiley:

Vote MykBot

If I am a vig and target myself, don’t I end up dead? I guess that’s one way to find out my role.

Yeah, that minute is kind of a killer. I’m finding it pretty brutal.

MODERATOR NOTE:

Let me clarify this rule slightly:

You can discuss the result of PMs, if you choose to do so. Just don’t quote from the PM or discuss specific communications from the mods. For example, saying “I received information last night that suggests that Gadarene is a witch. Let’s burn him and find out” is fine. Saying “I received a PM last night that says the following: You have a dream that tells you Gadarene is a witch” is not fine. It might seem like a fine distinction, so feel free to PM me first if you’re unsure whether you can say something specific. As a general rule, just don’t actually quote PMs and you should be okay.

Mykbot

obvious vote is obvious (sup)

Strategy is fun, if I remember correctly in the other game there were lots of weird roles so do not assume your role is a standard one. Like, you peek to find a mason or something (but there may be scum/town masonries). Or like, delayed peek mechanics, or other things like that.

To give a general level of experience from the other board, I’ve probably played about 50 or so Long games, and many many turbos (I don’t know if you have turbos here). Mykbot is known as one of the best players on the other board, and has an exceedingly good scum game, so don’t be too fooled, dancecat is also quite experienced and is also great in both roles. We three are probably the most experienced players from the other board in the game (and to be fair, I also have a freaking awesome scum game)

I’m also Euro, so my time keeping is on a different schedule to most of you all. I’m also currently in the (ongoing, so I can’t talk about it) 111 player game so I may not devote too much time to this one until that one is over, although from the looks of this setup it may only be like day 2 when that happens so no big deal.

Yes, but tie-ing votes in itself is not a great idea even so. There may be other roles in play that can mess with a lynch and since the lynch is probably the best shot overall we’ve got at killing a scum we should probably have it set in reasonable stone who the overriding lynch is.

Of course, if scum want to out themselves to try to tie it up, they are more than welcome to

Well, I would suggest that if you did not target yourself last night or you did but didn’t receive anything useful from it, or you did and got no result, tonight you pick you largest scum read, and if that person ends up dead, assume you’re a vigilante (you may not be, it may just be coincidence), and afterwards continue on as if you’re a vigilante.

If you get a peek you’re a cop, if nothing happens then it’s a lot harder to figure out your own role so (imo) I tend to shoot for my mid-scum reads.

MODERATOR NOTE:

Everyone should try to read the OP fairly closely at least once; there’s a lot there, but it’s mechanics-specific stuff that should be useful.

I’m not calling out anybody in particular; posters so far have demonstrated an accurate and estimable understanding of what the OP says. This is mostly for people who haven’t shown up yet. :slight_smile:

It’s sort of fun being treated like a noob. I’m soft-clearing - this is lingo from the other board that means I believe him to be a villager/townie at least for today’s purposes, though he will be reevaluated until I have a firmer reason to clear him - lightfoot because:

1. In the first blue he provides good advice that he can’t have from having previously played in this setup, which suggests but does not necessarily mean he is reflecting on the game from the villager/townie perspective

2. In the second blue he provides good advice that he should certainly have if he’s played much mafia/WW at all, but it’s good nonetheless

3. In the third blue he provides advice that, honestly, no one is ever going to do, which I don’t see a mafia/wolf even bothering to suggest

Making villager reads is just what I do, especially really early.

Or put differently, every single thing about that post oozes good guy, so he gets to be left alone today.

there is one thing in this post that makes me want to vote you, and another that makes me want to tempclear you. i’ll lean towards tempclearing if you can tell me which is which.

having everyone target themselves seems like a good way of getting rid of all the town vigs immediately, but this has obv already been pointed out.

Please, everyone target scummy/wolfy people, at least at the beginning. If you don’t know what your night action does, don’t point it at yourself or someone you think is town.

Except that Lightfoot is a more than good enough player to give all the right “signs” when she posts.

Also:

Don’t hold grudges.

Play the Damn Game. Why did you sign up if you aren’t going to play?

Anyone caught in a lie (of commission) will be looked upon with great suspicion by me.

Certainly, but the last two games I played in here, the tiebreaker mechanic was on the order of “85% chance of no lynch”, and I personally made a lot of accusations concerning the relative scumminess of tying it up close to the end of the day.

Woo hoo, it’s finally started! Neat.

And to jump right into things, I’m not getting the votes on Mykbot at all. Maybe you guys play with each other enough that you’re on some meta wheels-within-wheels level, but Mykbot’s “soft-clear” statement, while not well justified IMO, seems like an odd early gambit for a Wolf to make. Frankly, I’m a lot more suspicious of people eager to jump on an easy vote than I am of people who make casual statements of questionable logic about who is and isn’t wolfish.

Sorry about calling you a dude lightfoot.

I grokked what you meant; I think this is one of those difference-in-playstyles things. I can’t speak for other players, but I know that I play my suspicions/clearances much more close to the vest than your board’s crew seems to.

Not me. I’ve never played there.

Around here, we have a lot of analytical players, so giving generally good advice isn’t much of a tell one way or the other. (I figured what soft-clear meant :p) It wouldn’t be the first nor the last time we’ve had a scum do that–hell, I know of more than one player who’s claimed to have not read their PM at all until middle-late Day One or Day Two, specifically so they can play convincingly as pro-town.

I understand the strategy here, but I’m not seeing how it would be terribly effective. Looking at the more standard roles, here’s what would happen if you targeted yourself:

Doctor: You protect yourself, most likely with no notification. No help
Investigator: You learn about your own role. Your role is confirmed (more or less)
Blocker: Either you block yourself, in which case you receive no result, or you are told that you cannot perform your action. No help in the former case, and little help in the latter (or would you be able to figure out your role through process of elimination?)
Vigilante: You kill yourself. I suppose that’s one way to learn your role, but it’s not the most useful.

More ‘complicated’ roles will created more complicated scenarios, but it would seem that would make it even harder to figure those out.

Now you have more experience with this particular setup than I do, given that you have played it previously, but it seems to me that targeting yourself has a slim chance of revealing anything, and an almost equal chance of killing yourself. Am I missing something obvious?

Ok, so my first thought is that we need to start keeping a running tally of who has targeted who.

Since no one knows what any power is yet, I don’t actually see a downside to keeping such a list. We (town) need information and we need it fast, but we also need to make sure not to clutter up the game with bullshit misdirection. The game is too large and is going to move too fast.

Last Night I targeted Peeker. I used Random.org to select my target.