New Thread on Board Performance

I think I posted it before but another messageboard using this version of VBBS noted a significant slowdown with long threads and capped thread length at ~500 posts.

<puts on DBA hat>

Without knowing exactly what maintenance plans are in effect at the SDMB, I can only speak in generalities.

Yes, indexes do get fragmented with usage. If the index was created with 100% fill factor, then the first time a record gets added, the page where the index key resides will split to accommodate the new key. This is not a good thing. Rebuilding will fix that fragmentation, but until the fill factor is adjusted, it will be fleeting improvement.

Since this is apparently the new home for “zapped!” messages…I was zapped (read: last activity time immediately updated to the present) twice in a row - once last night, once today. I hadn’t been online for almost a week before that, so I don’t know if it’s actually getting worse, or just a coincidence.

It’s been better for me lately. Hasn’t happened in almost three weeks (knock on Formica).

Getting zapped almost daily now.

Make that three days in a row. :mad:

I knew it was too good to last. Just got zapped for the first time in 22 days.

But an interesting twist. When I first logged in, it correctly showed my last active time as 2:47pm yesterday, my time. Then I clicked on User CP to check my Subscribed Threads but immediately got one of those Internal Server Error screens. And as soon as I got away from that, my last active time was now and everything marked Read. I’ve noticed a few more Internal Server Errors lately. Could that have anything to do with it?

The last time it got bad, we experienced a general slow down of the board. Internal Server Errors could certainly be related, IMHO.

And zapped again. After 22 days of no zaps, I’ve gotten it twice in one day now. Indeed, twice within five or six hours.

I’m having a terrible time with posting anything, in particular PMs (of which I’m writing a lot at the moment for fantasy football). Basically every time I want to PM someone, I’ll hit send, wait 30 seconds while nothing happens, then it again and immediately be told that I have to wait 30 more seconds to send another PM, except the PM isn’t in my ‘Sent Items’ folder. If I wait several minutes, it may or may not show up there, and in either case I have no idea if the PM actually went through. Very annoying.

I’ve been off Microsoft forever, but isn’t FDISK a DOS command dropped long ago? (Although I understand the point.)

‘Zapped’? I like it.

The term, I mean, not the event, which seems to be happening all the damn time.

First few threads were very slow to load…then, ZAP! Zapped Again.

Yawn. Not been a good day.

Glacial slow to open threads.

Anyone out there care?

Anyone?

Yes indeed. I click on the ‘go to new posts’ link (unless I’ve been zapped, in which case there are no new posts) and the page starts to load and just hangs. I have to click on the link a second time and then the page generally does load. It’s irritating in the extreme.

Zapped again.

Everything is randomly periodically slow on the site lately. It’s been somewhat tolerable, but it’s starting to get really annoying now.

It’s running more slowly for me too.

I’ve been wondering how I was so lucky to have gone 22 days without a zap recently, until I started getting zapped left and right again this week. Admin here keep saying they can’t get the problem to duplicate. I winder if the increased slowness and Internal Server Errors could have something to do with it.

Zapped again. But this time it’s that weird zapping in which some threads are marked Read interspersed among others that are still marked Unread.

I see that interspersed behavior at the office, where I read SDMB without logging in.
It sometimes seems like we track read/unread with cookies for unregistered accounts, but with the last activity time for registered accounts.

I suppose that makes sense, since cookies are probably the only reasonable way to track unregistered people - there is no context for them in the database. And registered users might want to log in from more than one place, and cookies wouldn’t follow them.

I have no idea if this is related to what happened to you, though. I’m not sure I see how that type of error could happen.