How much to pay a stripper?

With my 18th birthday fast approaching my friends and I were doing some planning for what to do on my birthday. Me being a red-blooded american male the obvious answer is: go to a strip club and smoke cigars. The problem is that I don’t know how much to give them for a lap dance or just when they are up on the pole. What is the protocol? What amount is acceptable?

Depends on the place. Just hangout a bit and pay attention to what other patrons are paying then have at it.

Some places charge for the lap dance right up front (they’ll usually announce or post the prices). My advice, wait for the two-for-one lap dances that most places seem to offer every hour or so.

Tip her whatever you see fit based on how well you think she did.

…or ask at the door, when you first come in.

Yeah, I’d ask. Unless it’s a really sleasy place, they’ll probably love you- young, naive, grateful, not too cocky (if you’re smart). You might even get one free for your bday!

I found this site; I don’t know how old it is, or how the California economics copare to NJ.

Ask nicely, and the girls will tell you. I wouldn’t worry too much about being told “inflated” prices: Most clubs seriously frown on the dancers gouging without permission. It’s bad for repeat business…

I’ve never been in any New Jersey clubs, so your mileage may vary, but here’s my advice.

My general rule of thumb is to tip at least a dollar per song for the performer on stage (most stage performances last three songs). Many customers wait until the third song to tip because that’s when the dancer has taken off the most clothes; personally I tip for all songs because I figure the extra attention and good will is worth a couple bucks. Of course, a lot of customers don’t tip the stage dancers at all; but don’t be a slug about it.

Table dances and lap dances have fixed prices. In my area a table dance (which is essentially a personal nude dance performed a couple of feet in front of you) is five dollars. A lap dance (which is a nude dance, often in a back room, where the dance will rub her body against you) is twenty. Tipping is certainly a nice thing, but the only place I’ve ever been hustled for tips was in New Orleans.

Generally the dancers will wait for you to approach them for dances. You can ask a dancer performing on stage for a special dance when she finishs her set (but be advised that some dancers like to shower after a set and may have other requests waiting; you could end up waiting for half an hour or more). Or most dancers hang out in the bar between their sets; you can approach any of them and ask for a dance. Alternately, if you’re the shy type, you can ask a bartender or waitress to relay a request to a dancer.

As for telling them it’s your birthday, it’s your call. You’ll usually get some extra attention. But a friend of mine once ended up getting a birthday spanking on stage, which may be more attention than you want.

Remember to follow the rules. Don’t get drunk and stupid. Don’t try to touch the dancers anywhere they tell you not to. Don’t forget they’re nude dancers not prostitutes. Don’t forget to tip the waitresses as well as the dancers; they’re working too.

No kidding.

I’ve been in different clubs that are looser about this but my experiences here in Chicago is that they don’t screw around. It is STRICTLY HANDS OFF and they aren’t joking. I very big mean looking guy hovers around and if you do more than barely touch the dancer they will kick you out on the spot (the dancer doesn’t need to complain…the bouncer will bounce you if he sees it). Propositioning a dancer will also get you kicked out immediately (whether your asking for a paid encounter or just a date…doesn’t matter).

This is one reason I actually don’t enjoy strip clubs all that much. It’s like a big tease. You have a hot woman oh so close and you can’t do a damn thing. Walking back home with blue balls is no fun. Still, every guy needs to get in there at least once and your 18[sup]th[/sup] birthday seems as good or better than any other time.

Tipping the waitresses is also a very good idea. Especially if you plan on ever visiting the place again. Bring a lot of money because you can go through it quite quickly in a place like this. I burned $100 in less than an hour once ($20 to get in, $20 lap dances, $7 beers…the money can go quick).

Of course, there are all sorts of places like this and I’ve been in a few that were considerably cheaper and more lax on the rules. If in doubt ask at the door as others have mentioned or just take a clue from how other patrons behave. If they are all sitting for a lap dance with their arms rigid at their side then it’s a good bet you should do the same.

When I was a freshman in school there was a guy in my hall who was younger, he didn’t turn 18 until around December…
Anyhoo, we took him to this strip club and made a big deal of telling the DJ that it was his birthday (they wanted to see ID to prove it) So, the DJ called his name, and they took him up on stage and sat him down on a chair and each dancer at the club came out and did a little somthing for him. I think he enjoyed it, but at the same time for the next four years it always came up about how he was on this stage with these strippers…

What are you worried about? It’s your birthday. It’s up to your friends to pay for the lap dancing, drinks and getting you home safely.

Sheeesh!! :smiley:

Here in Michigan it’s $10 for a table dance and $20 for a dance in the back. The only difference is in the back you can sit ina comfy chair and they can climb all over you.

As far as tipping… if you like the girl on stage, tip her. If you don’t, then don’t tip her.

I must have green blood

Wow I guess the recession hit California hard; in San Francisco the club I go to is $25 to get in, $25 for a private dance, $35 for a topless private dance, and $45 for a nude private dance. Also, the stage sorta works off a ‘bidding’ system, that is, the rich old clod throwing out 10-dollar bills is going to get all the attention. Whoever puts up the most money is going to get the most attention. As far as touching, the dancers will put your hands on various parts of their anatomy, which I guess is acceptable in this establishment.

Oh, important word of advice; DO NOT WEAR JEANS. If you’re getting a lap dance…well, you won’t. Jeans hurt.

Erm, so I’m told.

Where in the hell are you going? I mean, it’s true that I haven’t been there in about 10 years, but I the places I frequented (someplace on broadway I think), it was $5 to get in, $1 for the dancers…usually after the dance. I never got a lapdance, so I couldn’t talk about that…but damn, that’s a lot of money.

Oh, as to the OP? Follow the leads of everyone else. Keeping in mind, that a bit more courtesy/respect may make the girls a bit friendlier. Say hello, ask how they’re doing…try to make eye contact, not talk to thier boobs, or genitilia. Now this doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t look if she’s in front of you with her legs spread…I mean, that is what you’re there for, just try to treat her as something other than that part of her body.

As others have noted, this will vary according to the location – I was once in a strip club in San Francisco that had a separate “deluxe area” in the back which you had to pay extra to enter. The back area had more girls, more stages, and more routines, and it didn’t take much cajoling to (discreetely) talk some of the gals from lap dances to definitely-not-allowed-by-law “extracirricular activities”…

Yeah, that’s why I seldom bother going these days. It’s fun if you’re inexperienced and want to give it a try, but after a while it all tease and no payoff.