How could I have been so stupid

I met a man on one of the on line dating services two weeks ago named Tracy. Had dinner with him three times since then. He seemed very smitten but I wasn’t. I figured it was time to break things off, after our last evening together this last Saturday. He was too whiney, and just getting over a divorce. Also, he uses too much aftershave. (By the way, I am 60, divorced, and I never thought I was stupid, until tonight.)

A couple of hours ago, about 8:00, I got a knock on the door. Thought it was the UPS man (I didn’t look, my mistake, I know). It was Tracy.

He came in and told me a long weird story about himself, his mother, and the police. The bottom line he said was that he had been thrown out of his apartment by his mother, who owned it (she is 85).

So now here I am, trying to deal with this guy who is very upset and not very rational (and who I know carries a gun because I have seen his permit, this is dumb ass Texas!). He started telling me about all the neat trips we could take to Mexico and showed me the brochures! I got scared, and managed to grab my cell phone, then excused myself to go to the bathroom. Locked myself in and called my son, who was in the house, but on the computer, and therefore, totally out of touch. Unfortunately, he had his phone set on vibrate, and wasn’t wearing it.

After that didn’t work, I went into the kitchen to get my “guest” a beer, and while there, tapped on my son’s door, said, “Tracy’s here, get out here”! Fortunately, he heard me and responded immediately. Thank you, thank you, and thank you! Between the two of us, we managed to convince my “guest” that he needed to see an attorney first thing in the morning.

He left! We locked the doors and I promise never to open the door again without looking first. I can still smell his aftershave! Ugh! How could I have been so stupid!

Oh, my. Glad you are okay. How did he find out where you live? Good thing your son was home…it could have been so much worse. Be very careful over the next few days…he may well stop by again. Don’t let him in, and call the police.
A word of advice for the future…Don’t meet after such a short time. I’ve met several very nice guys over the internet, but I have few strict rules. Emails only for a least a month. Scrutinize these for any weird, strange comments. Then, if everything seems copacetic, he gives you his phone number, and you block caller ID when you call so he can’t get yours. First names only at this point. Talk on the phone for a month or more…you can learn an awful lot this way. If he seems to blame the world for his troubles, has bankruptcy problems, crazy ex-wife problems, difficulty making coherent sentences…or if he seems to be professing his love way too quickly, or making plans for the future…you are no longer available. Then, and only after you have checked him out to make sure he lives where he says he lives, works where he says he works, and if nothing he has said has made you say…ick…then meet in a public place, for coffee or ice cream…and decide if you can tolerate his looks, hygiene and table manners. And in the words of the immortal bard, David Wilcox:

“If he’s rude to the waiter, and it makes your heart confused, this is warning number one…Run!”

Holy Moly! You got lucky! It could have been so much worse. I’m glad your lesson was painless, but remember it! And please, please, please never open your door without knowing who it is first!

I’m glad you’re okay.

Heloise and KKttenblue,

Thanks for you concern and good advice. Kittenblue, you sure have his number!

Kittenblue: Scrutinize these for any weird, strange comments.
If every woman followed your advice i would be a very lonely guy.
As those are the only type of comments i make.
:smiley:

Except for the most cynical among us, we generally want to think well of most people. Unfortunately we sometimes find ourselves in trouble before we recognize the warning signs in the slightly strange ones.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet there. Let’s hope he gives up on you quickly. Good luck.

Hey I make wierd and strange comments

But I’m also to lazy and apathetic to be scary.

CRorex, your comments are only weird and strange in the spelling department. :smiley:

As for meeting people from the net, I’m going to be married in August to a guy I met over the net. It can be great, as long as you follow the safety rules like the excellent list kittenblue posted here.

I just want to say a few things.

Palikia is my mother. I live in her house. And the asshat is still hanging around. The last time all three of us went out to eat together, a few months ago, and the last time I spent any time around him, he was still just an asshole, I just gave up and walked away. A few minutes later, he (I’m told)
gave my mother the finger, drove off, came back, kicked her out of his car, and then got even more mad when I found us a ride home. It turns out after all this he was waiting in a nearby mini-mall parking lot, waiting for her to call… And then the dickhead was angry at me, it seems I’m “in the way”

I’m overprotective, I guess. I know my mom can take care of herself. It’s my bad for doing a search and finding this post.

I was once banned here, but it was because of my nickname at the time, not because of something I said…