Correct Pronunciation of "Nutella"?

Exactly how is “Nutella” pronounced?

The answer isn’t on the website, and to clear up a mild debate… I’d like to know if it’s:

Nuh-tella
or
New-tella

It’s pronounced new-TEL-uh, and spelled Gnutella, IIRC.

Different things, but pronounced the same.

According to my (sadly empty) jar, it’s spelled Nutella. I think Gnutella is some kind of software doohicky. As to the pronunciation, we always pronounce it New-tella, but I don’t know if that’s official.

I’ve got a jar of it sitting right here on my desk, and it most definitely is not spelled “Gnutella”. Perhaps you’re thinking of the popular P2P file-sharing protocol, which was named after the homophonous hazelnut-chocolate spread.

You nkow I’ve pronounced it both ways, but I’m not sure which is more correct. “New-tella” sounds a bit more “European” but not for any reason I can put my finger on.

Rob V it is sad that we live in a world where not everyone has tasted Nutella. It is truly joy in a jar.

Originally posted by psychonaut:
It is truly joy in a jar.

LOL. I don’t eat it but my kids do. They love it. I tried it and it tasted like hot fudge sauce. Healthy, chocolatey, what could be better?

If I get a vote it is for nuh-tella. Nut as in hazlenut, ella as in, erm, Fitzgerald? Seems obvious.

I thought it was nuh-tella. Like nuts. As in the hazelnuts from which it is made.

Mmmmm, Nutella crepes.

Yeah thanks for correcting the jar’s spelling… I guess i should have specified “Hazelnut Chocky Spread” heh, sorry.

It used to have the 2 little dots over the “u” on the package, but as of today, the packaging has a plain ole “U” and i say it’s

Nuh-tella

Someone needs to make the Nutella people put that in the FAQ on the webpage, to avoid crap arguments like this between women and their bf’s

:slight_smile:

Although I suppose if you’re pronouncing it as the Italian manufacturer intended, it would be more like new-tella.

I’m torn.

Ok now im effing mind blown.

I thought this stuff was from western europe (like uh… specifically Germany, hence the goofy “New” tella pronunciation that is justified by some people with the former double dotted “u” on it’s packaging.
Can someone call these fools and ask?
I cant find a phone number, only an address in NJ.

If it really did have two dots on the u, then the original pronunciation of the first vowel was probably neither “uh” nor “ew”, but rather the same as in the French “tu” or German “früh”. It’s rather like pronouncing “ee” with rounded lips.

Nutella was never spelled with an umlaut in Germany where it is pronounced new TELLA. However, it’s Italian.

So popular guess is that it isn’t pronounced the way it’s spelled.

I just wonder if this “newt” stuff is accent based, like Italians say Marinara one way and in our accent it sounds different. <shrug>

I always thought that it was pronounced NU-tella, as in The Knights Who Formerly Said “Ni!” But Now Say “Nu!”.

It is yummy goodness from Italy & has been around since the 1940s. I believe the parent company is Ferrero, the people who also bring you those delicious Ferrero Rochers. According to the Nutella USA site, it is Kobe Bryant’s favorite spread (no jokes, please).

See: http://www.ferrerousa.com/ and hit “History”.

Now I’m hungry.

There used to be an ad on TV, “Oooooh, Nutella!” and they pronounced it “Nut-Ella”.

People here in Berkrley, and we are so sophisticated, pronounce it nuh-tella. I could run up to Shattuck and ask Alice, I guess.
Whatever gets it on your crepe, I say. :wink:
Peace,
mangeorge

I think it’s nu-tel-la … that’s how I used to hear it when I was a kid.

Weirdly enough there’s a commercial on in Canada lately where they call it New-tella.

I always called it NUT-tella as a kid because it is so very hazelNUTTY and I used to be bothered very much that my ex’s Italian family called it New-tella. I think there were even fights about it.

I have a funny feeling that there may have been ads for Nutella when I was a kid where it was pronounced Nut. I think it really is the North American vs. European pronounciation. I’ve changed my pronounciation to NEW tella though. I’m keeping up with the times!

Actually, although I’d never heard of it, I assumed it to be new-tella by the look of the word (but I’m European). A quick check of my Oxford English Dictionary shows there to be 10 words beginning with “nut” (apart from nut itself) and 8 of them are pronounced new-. There again, in the US the first syllable is often more noo than new.