Correct Pronunciation of "Nutella"?

The stuff’s made of chocolate and nuts hence IMO it should be Nuhtella.

In fact the correct pronounciation is

“Dear Lord Almighty what is this hellish crud?”

Nooooo, it’s:

mmmmmmmmm…choocolaateandnuuuutss!

Advertising here in the UK always vocalised it as Nuh-tella (as it is made from nuts, the possibility of an alternative English pronunciation never crossed my mind)

I agree with Mangetout and GuanoLad – having only heard “Nut-ella” locally, until this thread I didn’t realise there was another pronunciation.

I’ve only ever heard Nutella pronounced as Nuh-tella, and assumed (as others have) that the name was derived from the hazelnuts it contained. Ditto for every commercial I’ve seen advertising the horrid stuff.

Newtella just sounds so horribly wrong :slight_smile:

The Western German pronounciation would be “nuh-tella”. Sounds more Italian to me, too.

And no, there never were dots on the u. Then it would sound kind of French, I guess… (Le Nütella)

But I pronounce it “Devil’s scourge on toast”.

(I wish they still had the “Millenium Jar”. Four pounds of chocolatey goodness. Then again, it’s probably better they don’t.)

Since the accent is almost certainly on the second syllable, Yanks should be able to fake either pronunciation by relying on the General Purpose Reduced Schwa: n’TELLuh.

(And if they ever add a variety with honey, we could call it n’TELLuh the hon’.)

I had the joy of living with a German exchange student for a year, and he gave me they joy of the awesome 2000 gram Millenium Jar. I miss him.

As for the debate, I pronounce it New-tella.

Since it’s derived from the word “nut” (+ “ella”, as in “diminuitive nut”), referring to the hazelnuts in it, it’s surely NUT… I.e. pronounced “Nut-ELL-uh”.

I’m a Nut Ella also. If it was Nu-Tella, like Nu-metal then I would make it Noo, but as it isn’t…

It just is.

Gotta go with my English friend here.

It’s Nut-ELL-uh. That’s how it’s pronounced when it’s advertised on TV as well BTW.

As for the original Italian pronounciation I’d tend more to nooTELLuh.

I’m partial to noo-TELL-uh, having never actually heard it pronounced any other way, actually… Then again, it was Germans and French who introduced me to the stuff, and the only time I saw the stuff in the States was in European groceries, so I suppose that’s my excuse…

cackle

Well, like pokey - I have seen many arguments over this.
This particular question has only been a topic of debate between my bf and I. And with him being the honorary genius that he is, I’m sure you will all soon see the resulting questions of our many arguments over who is the true loser with no intelligence.

(It’s usually me - because I don’t typically go on mahunts searching to find any shred of evidence that he may be wrong when he poses an idea that i find rediculous or unfounded)

I give up on the NUTella. It’s made with nuts, it tastes effing good (Goo, you really need to try some my friend… on a shortbread cookie to start) And it’s spelled “NUT” so im sticking with that.

If anyone wants to refer to nut spread as “newt” spread… go for it, lol. I personally find nothing remotely resembling the flavour of water lizards in that jar. Only that of NUTs. :slight_smile:

Im going to write the company today and ask them.
Im sure if they tell me it’s NEWT, I will have a lizard flavour comment for them too and then just be wrong in calling it what i do. Hahah. But I will come back with their reply when and if i ever get it. (Today if i can get my grubby fingers on their phone number)

Thanks for all of the opinions, this has been quite a humorous
question to ask afterall.

Cheers!
:slight_smile:

i grew up calling it noo-TELL-uh. i lived mainly in germany and that’s how i heard it pronounced.

oh, it’s also great on apples.

Yes, Nutella is Italian, the company is Ferrero. The one that brings you the Rocher and Kinder!
I don’t think we should try comparing the pronounciation with the word “nut” as it isn’t made to make sense in English!
The sound “u” is quite hard to get in English… If you can hear it in French, that’s what it sounds like, kind of!
Nutella is the best, I can find it in every store now, it is awesome, only a few years ago it was hard to find.

If the word is Italian (and I believe it is) then it would be more like noo-tell-a. The “new” pronunciation is strictly an English distortion. In English speaking countries I guess you can pronounce it any way you like but Italian definitely is not pronounced with English sounds.

I never understood why Nutella is considered a (sort of) high end product in the USA. There is a similar product in Spain (chocolate + hazelnut + vanilla paste) called Nocilla and it is considered pretty basic stuff for kids. Still delicious though for those of us with a sweet tooth.

It doesn’t get to be pronounced “nut-ella”. If they want people to pronounce it “nut-ella” instead of “new-tella”, they’ve got to spell it “Nuttella”.

Them’s the rules. :mad:

Well, those who suggested that the name derives directly from the word “nut” are correct, according to the spread’s history at the NutellaUSA website:

I’ve always pronounced it nuh-tella, and will continue to do so.