Just how much perfume should one woman wear?

There is a lady that works down the hall from me. She wears enough perfume to choke a government mule. The perfume she wears is not cheap and it smells good, but she must take a bath in the stuff. I went into the teacher’s lounge yesterday and it was empty. I was greeted however by an overpowering perfume smell. Of course the lady I am referring to, had just left there. Is she wearing too much? My opinion is yes.

So tell me ladies ** where ** do you spray the stuff and **how much ** should a person put on her body???

I have never watched my wife put on perfume, now that I think about it… but it’s not overpowering when she does.

One of the few to be personally welcomed to this board by Ed Zotti.

Yours truly,
aha

I rarely ever wear perfume (my hubby cannot tolerate perfume very well, he starts choking and wheezing every time I put on even a little bit), so I’m going on vague memories from my teenage years. I found that spraying one small spritz on my right wrist, then immediately rubbing both of my wrists together to get the perfume on both of them, was usually just enough. Some women spray it on both wrists and their neck, which is too much. You really don’t need to put more than one spritz on your entire body. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Shadowfox

I don’t wear perfume often, either, but when I do it’s one spritz on the back of my neck. Actually, I spray the perfume, then kind of walk backwards into it.
It’s enough for me to smell it and my husband to smell it if he sticks his face in my hair.

Perfume should always be light enough that you have to get close and interested to smell it. Anything more than that is too much.

When I wear perfume (rarely), I spritz a little on my wrists and then rub them against my neck. I do that at least an hour before I go anywhere, because that allows the perfume to mingle with my own scent and settle down into something nice.

I don’t know what to do about the heavy perfume wearers. I have a friend here at work who wears a buttload of patchouli. You can smell him coming from five or ten yards off. I’ve commented “wow, Chris, that stuff is really powerful!”, and he’s only shrugged and said “well, it wears off, so you have to start with a lot”. :rolleyes:

Aha,

I agree that some women wear wayyy to much perfume. Basically, if it brings tears to the eyes of those around you, it’s too much.

Men suffer from this need to empty bottles of nasty smelling stuff onthemselves too. I met a friend at a gas pump last year. His cologne overpowered the smell of gas pumping. By the time I had paid and came outside again, he was gone. The smell lingered on and on, still overpowering the smell of gas.

Yuck. It’s too much.

The Turtle Moves

It can be annoying, though, when people get stuck on this pet peeve and go overboard with the enforcement. I worked with a woman once who freaked out if anybody wore any kind of scent, including scented lotions. As you can see from my perfume-applying description above, I hardly wear any (and not very often…maybe once every couple weeks, if that). Another woman I worked with wore perfume regularly, but not a lot (I never really noticed it). The Anti-Scent Freak would cry, scream about us to our supervisor, etc. until he finally banned all scents of any kind in the entire workplace. I can see if someone has a severe allergy (she said she didn’t), but it seems like she just made it her crusade.

Yep men do it too. I use to have to be around a guy who doused himself with Old Spice.

I use after shave lotion only, it fades fairly quickly.

I guess what I am really trying to say is a handsome man like myself don’t need no fancy shmancy Fu Fu water…

Yours truly,
aha

I agree with the other women here. I use one spray - either on one wrist which is immediately rubbed against the other, or I spray the perfume in the air and walk through it. One spray is perfect. Just enough so that one has to be close to smell it.

I did have a roommate who loved perfume and doused herself in it every morning. She liked that Calvin Klein CK1 stuff. (Unfortunately, on her it smelled like cheap wine.) She sprayed each wrist, her neck, and she walked through several clouds of the stuff. (Our living room smelled like a wino convention.) She wore way too much perfume IMO. The funny thing is: she had an incredibly heightened sense of smell. I would think that all of the perfume would overpower her sensitive nose. (It sure overpowered as well as offended me.)

I have to admit, perfume is my passion. I love it. But I do try to limit the amount I wear. I had a favorite perfume one and had a friend ask me what it was. She then started wearing the same one, but in such an overpowering way that I couldn’t stand to wear it anymore. I think what happens is that women buy the body lotion and the perfume. Wearing both is too much, one or the other is enough.

** Sigh. So many men, so few who can afford me ** Original by Wally

I’ve learned that if someone says something unkind about me, I must live so that no one will believe it.

Homepage: www.superlativeandsassy.com
Interests: surpluses, excesses, abundances, extras, lagniappes
profile by UncleBeer

I don’t usually wear perfume all that much. but like the others when I do I spritz only on my wrist and rub it against my other wrist and sometimes (though rarely) on my neck but thats it. I agree with the assesment that they buy the perfume and lotion. I have a couple sets of stuff of lotion/perfume/bodywash and other stuff like that. But I never use all of them, at once. Usually I just use my soap/bodywash and thats good enough.

Never run from anything immortal, it attracts their attention.

Brought to you by the Amazon woman of Canada.

Kudos to the ladies who say they don’t wear perfume. I hate the stuff; makes me sneeze.

Give me immortality, or give me death!

The general rule is that the scent should not be detectable any further away than an arm’s length. Meaning, if you can smell someone, yet not be able to slap them, it’s too much.

I rarely wear perfume, but when I do it tends to be a very one-note fragance - either gardenia or rose. I’m not too into the artificial stuff.

I’ve had the same experience as aha, and next question: how do you TELL someone that she’s wearing enough perfume to drown a cat?

• Tell her that she stinks like perfume. There isn’t really any nice, indirect way about it.
  • And remember all, perfume smells great but tastes like turpentine. Don’t put it anywhere that it might get tasted. (I direct this last comment mostly to ladies, but guys could do well to remember it also) - MC

I am not sure CK, but I am guessing that telling them they smell like a french whore would be out of the running.

Yours truly,
aha

This is only tangentially related, but the natural, unadorned smell of my current lady love is about as good as it gets. I don’t know what it is, but she smells fantastic and doesn’w wear perfume (allergic). She’s also in Australia for three weeks so I’m about to go out of my mind.

Just thought I’d share that with you good folks.

“Smithers, release the hounds.” -C. Montgomery Burns

I don’t wear it very often. If I do, it’s usually an essential oil, like patcholi. Anything else irritates my sinuses. I always apply just a few drops to pulse points on my wrists and neck, then repeatedly ask my mom if I’m wearing too much. She always says, no. One time I accidentally spilled half a bottle of patcholi on myself as just as I was about to walk out the door and didn’t have time to change clothes. I didn’t hear any complaints, but I imagine there was some behind-my-back commentary going on…

Now in my second month of exile in the 21 pit

Try www.gentlehints.com

You’re a penny in the tip jar of life
But you’re shiny and you’re mine
-the Judybats

$12 for a bar of Ivory soap!!! I think I’d rather just tell the person that the stench is overwhelming.

On the subject of men who wear too much cologne: once my mom and I were having breakfast in a restaurant when a man passed by trailing visible scent fumes. “Oh, that poor man,” said Mom, “he spilled a whole bottle of cologne on himself.” That line still makes me laugh…

On the rare occasions on which I do wear any kind of scent, I wear a weak one, and I do three spritzes on my neck, left, right, center. One has to get pretty close to smell it; I can barely smell it myself.