I'm probably the last person to discover Evanescence...

…But since there’s only one radio station here and it’s mostly news, I don’t get any exposure to new music. In fact, I intentionally got cable so I could watch videos to see what I’ve been missing, but apparently neither mtv or vh1 play them anymore!

But anyway. I’d heard, of course, that there was a band called Evanescence but never heard anything by them. Until my husband downloaded one of those anime videos* and the song was “Haunted” and I realized Evanescence is a really, really good band. So I bought there cd and am blown away. The singer has possibly the best voice I’ve ever heard in popular music.
*People make these and put them online. I have no idea what you call them. They take anime clips, or film clips from games, like Final Fantasy or whatever, edit them, and couple them with a song. Most of these people are really good, and get the tempo of the song to match the animation perfectly.

I’ve seen a lot of really good anime videos, so I can attest to their quality.

That said, I agree that Evanescence is pretty. darn. good.

After listening to Nightwish (a heavy metal band with an opera-style singer) for years, Evanescence doesn’t do anything to me. It’s like Nightwish Lite, except that they sounds alarmingly much like Linkin Park and other angsty pop-punk bands. Propably because they are a band like that, and thus comparison to a heavy metal band (or whatever metal it is, I’m not in on the different names for different styles of music) isn’t quite valid.

Funny. I thought they sounded like Lacuna Coil lite.

If you don’t know who Lacuna Coil is, you’re really missing out.

I’m also a fan of Nightwish and Lacuna Coil, and I think Evanescence is pretty darn good. I wasn’t expecting anything near as good when I bought the CD, but the tracks that haven’t been made singles are fantastic.

Oh, don’t get me wrong. I like Evanescence a lot. I guess I just get bummed when I hear people talk about how utterly original they are, when I could name at least three other bands that are similar yet a lot better (IMHO).

Indeed. They have more than one song, too.

Hmm I haven’t heard Lacuna in a while, but weren’t they gothic metal/industrial band? If so, I can’t see how they cna sound like Evanessence.

I’ve only heard a about half a dozen Lacuna Coil songs, but they seem like Nightwish Lite as much as Evanescence! :slight_smile: Any recommendations?

Of course, even though E. are basically Nightwish Lite, the fact that they’re anything at all like Nightwish makes them far better than the majority of the dreck on the radio…

I really like her voice though… it was the first thing that impressed me.

Their best song is still Bring me to Life.

Their latest album, Comalies, is pretty awesome. Check it out.

Definitely.

I concur. Not a bad song on that album. It’s been in my CD rotation for over a year now.

The only problem I have with Evanscense is that established bands which certainly influenced Evanscense get overlooked. Not that is anything new, but I wish more people would be more proactive in what they listen to. For a majority of people they only get new music from the radio. Thus, Evanscense is popular yet Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Rain Fell Within, Gathering, etc. get overlooked and wallow in underground obscurity. I’m happy that this type of music is getting some exposure and certainly there will be some cross-over from some of the younger fans who are more willing to search out new music. Metal Rules!

I really, really hate Evanescence. The singer has a good voice, sure, but it’s an awful band. And I’d take Neko Case or Laetitia or Beth Gibbons over her anyday.

Amy Lee’s voice is way better than Evanescence as a band requires, or deserves. If the band ever folds, I can see her going on to great acclaim elsewhere. She is absolutely stunningly gorgeous too, which doesn’t hurt her chances of success.

And you just named two of my favorite girl singers, Neko Case and Beth Gibbons. So who is Laetitia, and would I like her if I worship the other two?

Hmmm. How do you feel about Janis Ian and Margo Timmins?

I’d also like to take this opportunity to pimp Thea Gilmore at all and sundry.

Strangely enough, the combination of that voice with that music is the very thing that drew me to Evanescence. Had she had a “genre-typical” voice, the band likely wouldn’t have gotten a second listen from me. The contrast is attention-getting. For example, in the verses of Bring Me To Life, the guitars are playing with a staccato feel, while Amy is overlaying a very smooth, legato melody. Pounding guitars, soothing vocals.

My wife and I saw Evanescence on March 4th, 2003 (the day their debut album, Fallen was realesed) at a 500 person venue in Houston called The Engine Room. The warm up bands were good, but when Evanescence hit the stage the room exploded. I knew at that moment that this would be the last time they played such a small venue.

Six months later they played a local radio stations concert series at a huge outdoor venue.

I have heard a lot of bands that have that same sound, but Amy Lee’s vocals are just incredible. Eh, nothing is really original anymore.

Slight hijack.

I’m not a huge fan of this band myself, but one of my best friends seems to be totally converted. For her benefit I was wondering if fans in this thread could answer a few questions for me, so I can impress her with my Evanescence knowledge.

Basically I can vaguely remember reading somewhere that people thought they were a Christian band, but I think they denied that. So is that information correct and why would people think they were a Christian band (as opposed to some or all bandmembers being Christians) in the first place? I can’t hear it in the lyrics, but like I said, I’m not mad into them so maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention.

Meh. They sound like Linkin Park with a girl singing. boring lite goth pop for 16 year old kids force fed dogshit from MTV in Deftones hoodies and big chains hanging from their waists.

I hate both of these bands, I also find Chester Bennington hilarious, but in a good way.

“WOE IS ME!!! IM SUPER RICH!! IM MARRIED!!! BUT IN THE END IT DOESNT REALLY MATTER!!!”
The E girl is attractive, i’ll give her that, but original or good? not at all.

I like Converge. I’d like to see them sell out stuff or be on MTV all the time.

"totally rad gnarly dude. why you H8ing on Evanescence W00t!! etc
:rolleyes: