Capture the Flag: 2158 *or* Short Legged Trousers

There’s nothing like a bright spring morning, new leaves the brightest green you’ve ever seen. At least where there are leaves. After two weeks of playing for the National Laurel, there aren’t too many trees left standing to have leaves.

It was pretty much your average play-offs. South California got their team in again. That’s seven years running now, so it was no big surprise. I mean they steal all the good players outta the Mexican League. We kinda snuck in the side door with the expansion teams draining off the talent pool. Like Pops Spangler said at the start of the season, this is our year.

Not that we didn’t have some set-backs. Right off the blocks, we lost Gerheardt and James to the Kentucky squad. Luckily it was before we advanced to live-round games, or we might not have gotten them back. That would have clobbered our strike threat. Then Hernandez took that flechette burst right in his chest. The ceramics cracking was really what put him down, not the actual hit. But whatcha gonna do? Dorsey busting the bunker single-handedly was something to see, but then she just grabbed the boobied flag like a rookie. She was on the Olympic team for Bog’s sake. Stupid mistake like that and she took all 50,000 volts. Good thing Miller was right behind her, so we picked up the win. All in all it was a good year. Now? Not so good. But any year you make it all the way to Nationals and can still walk and all that.

We, of course set up our patented Interdiction defense. We have the flag standing tall in Poweshek County, with Tama, Benton, Iowa, Mahaska and Jasper Counties as clear as we can manage. It sucks up the head count, but we don’t have a dedicated Support Squad so it all balances out. The Calis went with their Bunker Plan, of course. They have their backs to the wall up in Osceola just daring us to come in after them.

The first 18 hours were one highlight vid after another. We took out their Mechs with Armour. Which immediately got pounded with Airborne. Which in turn got torn outta the sky with Rocket Artillery. Which was then blowed up by Sappers for no good reason since by then we have diddly-all to shoot at with it. It came down to Infantry on defense and Cav on offense for both sides just like every year. Feint and block, feint and block, just waiting for the other guys to make a mistake. At least I’m with Infantry and got all dug in. Those Cav nut-jobs run around all in the open just asking to get waxed. But without the Cav, how would we win? Wouldn’t, that’s how.

Finally Steiner and Moralez had had enough and pulled up their squads for a last hit. All or none, and some of them weren’t going to go home to their mommies. A long quiet sneak then a quick rush. The Bunker was hit until it cracked and then they poured in. Of course the Calis were following it all on ComBand so they poured in on our end, just so we wouldn’t win on the cheap. Same as we would do in their boots, but man! It sucks having them scream up on you like that just to get popped outta the saddle. Little Grima got in and took the win. It was a close one, outta the 10,000 we each started with it wound down to 480: Us, 527: Them plus our 500 Flag Bonus. We even beat the spread on this one since everyone just looooooooves los Calis.

You know what the best part is? Even better than the endorsements, the creds, the breeding rights and the fame? For winning the Nationals we get the privilege of wearing short pants that don’t come down past our knees. It’s a little sad, ya gotta kill and maim 9,473 Cali schmucks just so you don’t have to wear dorky pants in the summer. But whatcha gonna do? Way back in the 2000s you couldn’t get decent short pants no matter who you killed.
-Rue.
Just because I can’t find decent shorts this weekend, that’s why.

I’m such a hardcore fan that I’m still annoyed with the league for banning heavy airlift capability.

What?

I got new shorts this weekend, but I sat around naked anyway.

Have to diagree about the teams, the Lousiana Regulars are going to take the championship this year, what with them having Sturgis and Bleeks and the Cajun Commandos in thefront line. YMMV, though.

Shorts are impossible to shop for. When did this trend of having the legs flare out like the short pant version of 1970’s bellbottom bad style become all the rage? Half the time it looks like you’re wearing a dress. Not that I mind looking like I’m wearing a dress, but only if I actually AM wearing a dress. Any other time and it gets me all angry. The wife bought me some shorts last summer and I made her take them back and wore cut off sweats instead.

I like sweats. They’re comfy, and if you go commando they rub you just right when you’re walking.

-welby (Sympathy for the Rue)

Makes me happy that I forgot to send out your party invite. :smiley:

I found decent shorts at Goody’s. Guess you don’t have Goody’s in whatever universe you seem to have gone to, huh Rue? Mine come to just above the knees which is nice cause I have lovely tanned knees that just beg to be shown off. Speaking of tans, I am now a nice golden brown almost everywhere. The parts that ain’t golden brown, well, we don’t need to mention. :smiley:

-swampbear (that’s all I got for right now)

I dunno. Louisiana is overbalanced towards indirect fire and crew-served support equipment, which kind of limits their flexibility. Sure, the Commandoes are an excellent front line, and the team in general boasts some impressive throwweight, but they don’t have enough light infantry manuverability to keep up with, say, Dakota. That’s just my opinion of course, and I’m fully aware that the Northeast Corridor hasn’t fielded a decent team in something like 57 years.

I’m not all that upset about the party invitation either. You’ve “forgotten” me so many times I’m beginning to notice a pattern.

I just wnated one simple pair of shorts this weekend. I got a couple of pairs earlier and they’re OK, but now? It all hits at least my knees. I’m trying to think of the chicks here. Showing my man gams is for them, they’re that pritty. Covering them all up with stupid-long shorts is just a crime against humanity.

Kohl’s? No good.
Target? Useless.
Outdoor World (where I found my OK shorts earlier)? Nothing.

If I can’t find what I’m looking for in three tries, I give up. So I gave up.

It’s not like it was a shorts emergency though. I have three pairs now, but one of them is getting iffy. I was hoping to replace it, but no go.

Bah! Stupid long shorts. And it’s not like I have little stumpy George Jetson or Barney Rubble legs or nuthin’. They just make stupid shorts this year.

If you’re having trouble finding shorts, look for bathing suits with side and back pockets. Usually there’s just one back pocket but it has a zipper. They would be the “shorts” length you’re looking for and are perfect for going “commando.” A lot of them look like regular shorts so it’s not like people would point and snicker because you’re wearing a bathing suit at the mall. Why, yes, I do wear bathing suits as shorts. I have some very nice ones as a matter of fact. Besides if you happen to fall into the fountain at the mall, well, you’re dressed for it. :smiley:

Granted that Lousiana is a little heavy on weapons crews but their special teams are among the best in the league. Remember when the SO team took out that bridge during the Lousiana / So. California team last year? 6 armored vehicles, three towed guns, and the best part of four infantry platoons decimated. It doesn’t really matter that only have the SO team got out, they took good numbers of the other team in exchange. In a battle of attrition taking out 15 to 20 times your number really makes a difference.

A lot of people who aren’t Lousiana fans don’t undersand that the general team strategy is weighted towards defensive positioning with quick strike teams poised to take advantage of the holes blown in the advancing infantry by the artillery teams (Remember the Championship in 2130? Shortest confrontation since the league began!).

Infantry is overrated these days.

Girls this year have the opposite problem- at least in my area, mostly what’s sold as shorts or skirts more properly qualify as belts. Not even very wide belts. Miniskirts are fine and all, but I’d really prefer that they extend more than one inch past my crotch.

5 inch long skirts are stupid. I am not exaggerating. 5 to 7 inches seems to be normal length. Also, a lot of shorts this summer qualify as ‘denim underwear’.

This is fine- more or less- if the girls wearing these things are attractive, even though it’s a pain for those of us who don’t want to wear things that skimpy to work. The problem is that lots of the girls cruely tricked into wearing these garments are not, shall we say, the best size or shape to wear them.

And what the heck is with shocking pink being in fashion? Bleh. I guess it goes with the stupid fuzzy flipflops.

Lissla[went shopping yesterday. Is going to form a protest group against lime green and orange]

You do remember why they banned the heavy airlifts? Texan Alliance Rocs? Your choice was to either go all out with defense and missle batteries, which bottled you up near your flag, or go fast and light and hope you crack them before they bury you. So it’s either a siege or at best a 12 hour game. That really kills the broadcast rev.
I don’t much like wearing a bathing suit as outterwear Mr. Swampington. What if I want to wear it the second day? Can’t really change your underpants with a bathing suit.

You, know, everybody always leaves the Washington State Wishy Washies out of the equation. Just 'cause they were sponsored by the Wishy Washie Washing Machine Co., people tend to think they’re not a serious team, but they’re going to kick some butt this year. They pulled O’Malley, O’Leary, and McCann up from the European league, and their defense is still amazingly strong. And, don’t forget about home-field advantage. Remember last year when those wussies from Southern California came up to Washington and couldn’t figure out what all this stuff was falling from the sky? Granted, it hasn’t rained in California since 2009, but they just got slaughtered.

This could be the year for the Washington State Wishy Washies. Just you wash. I mean watch.

I went to Old Navy (shudder) over the weekend to buy some shorts. They now have short, regular, and long length labels on their shorts. I’m not sure I could tell the difference, but at least they tried to make an effort. I bought the medium length, and now I’m the proud owner of shorts that don’t go past my knees.

Hurumph! Maybe a youngster like you, lightingtool, can be a fan of the Wishy Washies, but I’m old enough to remember when they were the Oregon Orangutans. Now there was a team! In their heyday, they invented half the defenses used in the league today, and as for mixing flexibility with bringing on the heat, they had it in spades! Remember “Moonshine” Morris? He could carry a loaded armor pack, an extra set of special purpose tools and still manage to get to the flag ahead of any defender. And Penny “The Pull” Kellerman–they still haven’t invented a boobied flag that she couldn’t get down. Heck, in those day, if a player still had one leg, she was good to go. Nowadays, they get a flesh wound and their crying for e-vac.

I given up on shorts. And I refuse to wear cropped pants or capri pants–I’m short, why should I wear clothes that make me look even shorter? For the record, I’m not short, I’m at one end of average height for women, which simply makes me too tall for petites and too short for average.

I went gambleing this weekend and came out $4 up. I was even on the slots, won at blackjack. I bet I would have been able to win more if I stayed longer, but my rule is “gamble 'til then money is brought is gone or until your ride is leaving.” That and “Never bet anything you’re actually wearing at the moment*.” Those are good rules and if you gamble, feel free to adopt them.

*Except in very specific games, preferably not played in public.

I’m sputtering with rage here welbs. sputter, sputter “Infantry is overrated these days.” Bah! No one can go the distance without at least a heavy squad of Infantry. Even the Detroit-Pittsburgh-Santa Fe Foundrymen have three squads, and you know how Mech-heavy their line-up is.

Not that I’d want to take the field all Infantry. There’s a reason the EU Spartans don’t make any headway in the Nationals. With only Infantry and Light and Heavy Cavs, they are strictly demonstration.

I know what you mean Lissla. They had a big article in the paper the other day about mini-skirts. (My reward for reading the whole paper is to read the funnies. If I skip straight to the funnies my reward is to not have to read the whole paper.) The models in the skirts were actually young enough to wear 'em. Only I saw the pictures and thought “Wow. Slutty.” I am that old now.

Kalley, you should wear capris. Then you can show people how much you’ve grown. “Gee, they fit when I bought them. I must have grown four whole inches!”. Just a thought.

Old Navy, I might have to look into that. Thanks lighting.

This is a very manly start to the thread, here, with all this sports talk.

I’d girly it up, but I’m not the girliest of girls.

I would like you to know, however, that while you were rooting for your favorite teams, I was out buying a condo. And going on a very swell date.

Which team has the prettiest uniforms??? :wink:

Whew! I have been having such a problem getting an internet connection I was afraid I wasn’t going to be able to make it today. I would have had to make do with a TMP, even though there wasn’t a holiday or anything. I would have been sad. It’s Mon., it’s pouring rain and has been all day, and I couldn’t get to the MMP? Very sad.

See, I have to agree with Rue, and I’m not kissing up or anything. Big guns are fine and they make a big noise and are very impressive initally, but year after year we see the artillary eliminated in the first quarter or so, and then where are you? It always comes back to the infantry. IMO, a strong infantry is a far more important advantage then the newest way to blow s**t up.

And I don’t suppose it occurred to any of you that UAVs are the only way to go. You guys are so last century. Sheesh. I mean, it’s like the ultimate video game, only with real explosions!

And I have a sewing machine, so I can make my shorts and my sweetie’s shorts any length we want.

Oh yeah, and Ex, I really don’t need to be thinking about you sitting around naked. Seriously.

Rue, if I may be so bold…

Have you tried Cabella’s? Their Fatigue Shorts are wonderful.

And California does not use Mexican League players! They’re from La Jolla!

No freaking kidding. Since I lost a lot of weight since last summer, all my fat-ass shorts no longer fit. Yay me! Well, the problem now is finding shorts that look good, but still cover me. Thanks, but I don’t want teeny-tiny Daisy Dukes with my ass hanging out.
I want longer shorts, kinda like Bermuda shorts. I found a pair on a thrift shop excursion, really nice ones, Head brand, so I guess they’re tennis shorts. $2.50, quite the bargain. They’re tan, with pleats. They hit just above my knee and I’ve been wearing them nearly every day. I’d love another pair just like them in navy blue, maybe black or even demin. No one has anything like them at all. And you just know in another week or two, the Summer clothes will be gone and the Fall clothes will be arriving.

Screw it. So I guess I’m living in these for the rest of the summer.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have that old Nair commercial song stuck in your head? You know . . .

Who wears short shorts?
We wear short shorts.
They’re such short shorts.
We like short shorts.
Who wears short shorts?
We wear short shorts.

What do you mean, you do now? :smiley: