Should Hot Or Not alter their scores?

Ok, so me and SilentGoldfish are in an argument.

See, now, I’m pretty sure that Hot Or Not alters their results*. Say if someone only picks 1 through 5 for people, it gets adjusted so that 5 becomes their ten and everything adjusted in between. Now I don’t believe they should be adjusted, I believe they should stay as they are. They should have a supplementary adjusted score, which rates you according to everyone else (which they have now as their only score). I see it as tampering with your data to concur with your hypothesis.

Opinions?

*Whether or not this is true is not up for debate right now.

Does it really matter?

If it did this would be a great debate, no? Gonna go to Cafe Society and complain about people talking about movies?

OK, I’m sorry for the hijack, I know you didn’t want to debate this, but http://www.hotornot.com/pages/faq.html#faq18 It’s probably worth knowing that that’s what they say they do.

It makes sense to me. If someone rates only 4, 5 or 6, they probably fancy people as much as everyone else, but are reticent about rating things. Should you throw their ratings away, as you would be if you didn’t normalize them?

Should they normalize the scores? Why not? As they say in the FAQ you can see the raw numbers if you want so they’re not hiding anything. It might not matter anyway, for everyone out there too picky to give higher than a five there is someone like me who won’t give a rating below that score. If someone has the guts to put their picture up on the web I think that alone makes them above average.

What surprises me is how high some of the guys in drag get rated, it seems like people don’t even notice.

I wouldn’t take those scores to mean anything. I’ve seen beautiful women rated only 6 or 7 when they are obviously a 9 or 10. I’ve never posted my picture on there because I know people are haters and want to give 1’s to people they are jealous of.

I don’t think that happens as much with men though, as they are not as catty about such things. The men’s ratings might be more accurate.

Bwahahahaa. I’m sorry, but that’s the funniest thing I’ve read all day. Are you at all familiar with the internet? It’s f’n scary out there. :smiley:

Quite right.

Yikes! :eek:

I bet if you zoomed in on the middle of that picture people would mistake it for an aerial photograph of the San Andreas fault :stuck_out_tongue:

I posted my pic on hot or not, and so far it totters between a 6.8 to a 7.4 :slight_smile:

That picture is nasty.
I didn’t know you could see the raw data. I had my picture up there, but I never wandered through the FAQ. Thanks for the link!

You know what’s funny? I found that via an image search for scary woman and it was the second one that came up.