Musicians I Hate

Everybody always rags on Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys and other bubblegum acts, but frankly that’s like shooting fish in a barrel. It’s like saying you don’t like puppy-kickers.

So who does everyone hate in the music scene, present or past, who isn’t a talent-joke a la Britney? You have to pick someone at least one adult will think is terrific.
My first pick

SARAH McLACHLAN. IMO, Sarah McLachlan is unquestionably the biggest hack in music.

Being a Canadian I got to watch her first few videos when she was unknown and they were getting airplay because of Canadian content rules. She was okay. Then she came out with more videos, and then more, and it finally dawned on me that she sucks. Why does she suck?

a) She’s been singing pretty much the same three damned songs since she came up. “Building a Mystery” is just “Possession” redux. She’s a remarkably untalented songwriter inasmuch as she keeps writing the same songs Philip Marchand (and allegedly a few other folks - ask Daryl Neudorf) wrote for her ten years ago. Hell, she even stole the title and cover of her last CD from Neil Young.

b) Sarah McLachlan is every bit as carefully marketed a product as Britney Spears, and always has been. From the get-go she’s been tagged as an “artsy singer-songwriter” to fill a particular genre - her recording company freely admits to this, BTW - to the point that they had other people write her songs and gave her the credit.

I saw her live on MuchMusic last year and it was the funniest goddamned thing I’ve ever seen. The set was lit with candles of varying colours, despite the ample lighting available, to give it that Artsy Look. McLachlan was dressed in Artsy Clothes. The audience appeared to be entirely comprised of people named Jason and Muffy, all between the ages of 20 and 29 wearing Gap khakis and blue button-up shirts. There were no visible minorities to be seen. The entire audience was seated on the floor, presumably because that’s much artsier than chairs. In between songs McLachlan gave carefully prepared speeches on what they meant. I was on the floor; it was great in a bad sort of way.

Then two years ago she released a forGodssakes cookbook. You have to see this cookbook to believe it. Everything is a Highly Artsy Dish - no chili dogs in this cookbook, believe me. Most are vegetarian dishes (of course) and are made up for looks, not taste. They look as appetizing as a box of two-inch nails.

One dish was called “Possession Pancakes,” which had me laughing for several minutes. I assume her sequel cookbook will include:

• Path of Corn
  • Building a Moussaka
  • Sucrose Surrender
  • Fumbling Towards Eggs

c) I’m fucking sick of her voice. She can sing properly when she wants to, but instead she prefers, when holding a note, to hold it with that funny back-of-the-throat tone she’s famous for, which of course is the easy way out but also seems to be the artsy thing to do. I don’t know how to describe it except to call it “Kermit voice.” I hate that.

d) I don’t have any problem with Lilith Fair, though to be honest I’d be likelier to go if Sarah McLachlan wasn’t performing at it. I’ve seen McLachlan live and I think she sucks shit; she doesn’t hold a candle to live acts like Sheryl Crow.

A few years back McLachlan was tasked to perform live at the Junos, which is kind of the Canadian Grammies. Or maybe it WAS the Grammies, I dunno. No, it was the Junos. Anyway, she gets up there with two assholes with guitars and, rather than breaking into song, implores the audience to sing along with her as she does “Ice Cream.” This was right after “Fumbling Towards Ecstasy” was released, so of course nobody knew “Ice Cream” and stumbled along while she did an atrocious rendition of it. Friends, when you’re on a nationally televised awards show and you don’t even bring your whole fucking band, instead choosing to do a second-rate scaled-down version of an mediocre, unreleased single,
all the while imploring the audience to help you out even though YOU’RE the one with the record contract, you have not yet mastered the concept of good live music.

Maybe I’m ragging on her too badly for a few live performances but my yardstick of high-quality rock and pop acts is how good they are live. If they’re better than they are on their albums, they’re good. If they make you want to listen to albums by other bands, they’re not good. Sarah McLachlan is the latter.

And another thing; I don’t believe for one fucking instant she started Lilith Fair as a feminist statement, though I believe lots of people got involved with it for that reason. I think she started it because it was a way to make moolah and get more people out to her concerts because some people will come to watch actual talent like Sheryl Crow and the Indigo Girls, but Sarah gets a fat cut of the take. There’s nothing WRONG with starting a concert to make dough, but at least be honest about it. Side note: I cannot help but notice that despite her alleged support of female acts, HER band is made up entirely of guys.

e) It’s unrelated, but I think she’s fuckin’ ugly, too.
To summarize my rant: I think Sarah McLachlan is a phony, lying, plagiarizing, two-faced harpy who’s been hacking her way through success more because of her canny marketers than anything she’s ever done herself. Her music is repetitive, boring, unimaginatively written and essentially unchanged from 1988, except now it’s a little bit worse. She’s a mediocre singer, a shitty live act, and her videos suck too. I’d rather spend forty-eight hours power-felching for a live studio audience on FOX’s “World’s Worst Dysentery Cases Weekend Marathon” than spend ten minutes watching Sarah McLachlan on stage. Sarah McLachlan fucking eats it raw.
Who else do you folks hate?

OK, so we need musicians that admittedly have some talent, but for some reason are really annoying anyway, right?

I give you:
Alanis fuckin’ Morrisette

Especially after she went all spiritual and shit.

“Thank you India”? Please. Another tourist to “find her inner self” there. Just what we needed, Alanis.

Why is everyone listing singers? I thought the op wanted musicians.

Kenny G - Extremely technically tallented, but unfortunatelly his songs lack any emotion of soul.

Ted Nugent - style, no substance, and an ego to boost.

I had the honor of meeting Mr. Pavarotti - what a prima donna asshole.

Amen to Sarah McLachlan and AMEN to Alanis Morrisette. (Ugh! Ugh! Ugh!) I’m also gonna rain down some hate on their fellow female singer-songwhiner-types Tori Amos (get some fuckin’ therapy & stop taking your neuroses & traumas out on the music world!) and Jewel (there’s a special place in Hell for her & her godawful poems.)

Billy Corgan and Smashing Pumpkins.
I saw these hacks a decade ago when they couldn’t get into the Metro. I wasn’t surprised. Their subsquent success is mystifying. The music is boring, uninspired, insipid dreck that revolves around Billy’s incessant whining and moaning about how life sucks- give it a rest!
They are almost the only band that causes me to leap for the knob when they come on.

Honorable mention:
Michael Jackson- “He Who Shall Not Be Named” as the mere mention of this hideous mannequin child fucker causes severe nausea.

Mousey Gray - Knock off the cutsie stuff will ya!
Tracy Chapman - Oh, the god awful whining.
Barbra Streisand - Haven’t we suffered enough already?
Ricky Martin - and how are you different from Enrique Eglesias?
Enrique Eglesias - and how are you different from Ricky Martin?
Eminem - yup, there’s a huge tallent and a complete departure from the rest of acid ©rap.
Lenny Kravitz - What did I just say about whining?!! Huh?!
Madonna - First it was Lard-ass then it was Rocko. Where are the children’s welfare services through all this?

I could go on but I feel my blood pressure starting to rise.

I must agree over Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, and Alanis Morisette.
Basically I hate all that Lillith Fair bitch power shit.

I hated the Lillith Fair because it gave the impression that all feminists were whiny bitches who spout bad poetry about pain and ex-boyfriends and CELEBRATE that they are bitches. Give me a fuckin’ break, it’s PC thugs like them who keep the rest of us from getting husbands!
I’m female and I think feminism is better represented by Bjork, who does her own thing and is tough and feminine, yet not dripping with PMS power.

I have always hated Dave Matthews, he’s just GRATING, and recently i have grown to hate APOP Beserk and VNB Nation, two goth-shit bands.

I’m just shocked that someone would devote so much time and effort to a post about Sarah Mc-L.

Damn. You must really hate her to devote that kind of effort. I’m afraid that most musicians come under a simple indifference on my part. I just can’t get that worked up about any of them.

Well, I have better things to do with my time then worry about musicians I hate. I just ignore the ones that I don’t like. Like oldscratch, I simply feel indifference to them.

Easy, Enrique Iglesias has talent, Ricky Martin has none.

Jewel: If she weren’t a blonde with big tits, she’d still be up in Alaska writing halfassed poetry and getting passed around by the fishermen.

Liam and Noel Gallagher: Either start writing your own songs or start paying royalties to the Beatles, you fucking Neanderthals.

Puff Daddy: He takes perfectly good songs, imparts his own unique brand of suck to them, and makes a bajillion dollars in the process. There is no justice in this world.

Kid Rock.

every time I see his ugly-ass, no-talent, white-trash face, I wanna shake him and say, “Christ, boy, I liked you in Clerks. But where’s Silent Bob, huh?”

All members of Rage Against the Machine.

The “Angry Minority Rebelling Against The White Man” theme is old and tire.

Love how they rail against the very corporations that are backing them and enabling them to rake in mountains of cash.

IIRC, a few months back there was a sound file working its way around the internet… it was Enrique, at some concert in Europe, singing in to a mike which was not supposed to be one but in fact, was (oops!). As a result, they caught a very unfortunate rendition of “Rhythm Divine”.

Due to the wonders of the information age, thousands of people now had this funny and embarrassing sound clip. Now, some of you will say that this file was faked - pretty easy to do, and you’ve gotta take any information from the web with at least one, and possibly several, grains of salt.

The great thing is, Enrique verified it for all of us. He went on Howard Stern’s radio show, armed only with his voice and an acoustic guitar. I do have to give him a bit of credit for that - not many artists will lay themselves on the line like that to defend their skills, and Howard Stern is about as unforgiving a show as you will find. However, his performance was, well, extremely shaky. It was better than it had been in the aforementioned sound file; but not quite as good as my next door neighbor Phil.

More talent than Ricky Martin? Quite possibly a correct statement, but it’s kinda like saying that pork has a higher citrus content than beef.

I must agree on Tori Amos. She’s taken the all-men-are-potential-rapists too far now. One song about her fucked up childhood would be enough.

I can’t understand why people like her music. I can only figure that the women think she’s deep (“She really understands what it’s like to be abused!” Like hell she does.) The men, I’ve found, don’t pay attention to the words, just to her cunt-grinding on the corner of the piano bench.

I’ve managed to convince Mr. Na that Amos hates all men, therefore would be insulted that he listens to her music.

Ok, I can see most of the slams on here… save Madonna and Sarah McLachlan.

Sarah plays piano and does it well. Most of the ‘artists’ today couldn’t play an instrument with skill if you held them at gun point. So you don’t like what she sings? Fine. A lot of us do like her work and will listen to it often.

Madonna. This is one of the most prolific targets for attack in music I’ve seen. She has expanded her range and talent and has become a good singer and a decent actress. What she really does well is business. She is an incredibly brilliant businesswoman. She has the only artist owned label that is successful. She has incredible savvy, which is why her career is almost 20 years of success.

I can agree with a lot of the pimpslaps. When it comes to Eminem, I wonder if he is plain, peanut, or crunchy. Britney, her clone Aguleria, and the Backdoor Boys and their clones make me ill. There are a lot of worthy people to slam out there, as there always has been in popular music.

I wish there were more diversely talented artists out there like Annie Lennox. I think the Eurythmics are the best band to come out of the 80s.

Amen to Dave Matthews!

Pretentious arty farty hack.

I used to see him play the frat parties at college in Virginia, he sucked then, still does, and is adored by the same idiots who thought “Sweet Home Alabama” was the greatest song ever written.

Whoah there… I’m gonna have to disagree with this one. Dave Matthews and crew are arguably one of the best live bands around, and the fans have the bootleg tapes to prove it. Each member of his band is a great musician, and they join forces to create a delightful mix of rock, jazz, country, and some other stuff that doesn’t always fit neatly into any category. I also find his songs a refreshing change from the cookie-cutter tunes being cranked out by most artists today.

Yep, he’s arty… being an ARTIST, that’s not a bad way to be, wouldn’t you say? Name me a decent musician who isn’t.
Pretentious? How so?

I’m also not understanding the correlation between Dave Matthews and Sweet Home Alabama, but whatever.

Suo Na:

Um, for what it’s worth, she actually was a rape victim, and does a lot to raise money to help other rape victims.

I guess that’s why she married one. :rolleyes:

Hastur:

Oy. I have to disagree here. Her acting is passable at best, atrocious at worst, and pretty much everybody knows it. She has all the range of Keanu Reeves, with less ability to sell a line. As far as singing, well, that horrendous off-key rendition of “Ray of Light” at the Grammys or whatever a couple of years ago was pretty indicative of her skills. Madonna is, unfortunately, mistaken for a trendsetter when what she is is a trendrider. She looks for whatever genre is hot, and puts out an album of it.

Re: Dave Matthews–IMHO, one of those groups that fall, like Yes and Rush, under the category of “Extremely Talented Musicians Who Create Abominably Dull Music.”

Oh no! I kinda like Yes and Rush too. But to each their own… guess we won’t be swapping CD’s anytime soon :slight_smile:

In any event, I’m with ya on the Madonna thing.