How do I change my Corolla windshield wipers?

You wouldn’t think I would need an internet message board to figure this out*, but trust me when I say it seems to be one of those things that is much more complicated than it should be. Actually, it probably isn’t complicated at all, once you know what you’re doing, but unfortunately, this is the first time my wipers have needed changing on my relatively new Corolla, and they just ain’t comin’ off, man. My husband is no help on this one; he got his Tercel wipers off with sheer brute strength and basically ripped them off. I’m hoping for a little more finesse, but hey, maybe that IS the method of getting wiper blades off Toyotas! I would go to a dealership and ask them, but the roads are so crappy right now that I’m not driving anywhere I don’t have to, and I’d really like to put my new blades on.

*I do have the owner’s manual with my Corolla, and the section on the wiper blades is basically, “You have two wiper blades.” Wouldn’t want to put helpful information like how to get the friggers off in there, would you? :mad:

I have a 2001; they were the same from 1998 through 2002. Are you trying to change the whole assembly, or just the little rubber inserts? In the former I might be able to help. The end of the wiper arm is bent into a U shape. There’s a clip you have to spring, and then you slide the assembly down towards the car. To put a new one on, you just put it in place and then slide it up until the clip clicks.

Hmm, I’m pushing the clip and I’m trying to slide the rubber assembly off, but it just isn’t budging. Sounds like I’m doing the right thing; I guess it does come down to brute force.

I was a late driver (33 yrs) , and had no particular intrest in cars until I owned one. (a 1979 honda Accord, bought for $300 at a police auction in 1994). I bought a Haynes Manual, and rebuilt that sucker.

By co-incidence, I was having trouble changing the wipers… not just the rubber bits, but the frame that held them on. I had bought some at a parts store, but the Haynes manual (generally a very detailed and handy guiude, assumed anyone clever enough to buy it would be able to understand a brief, non illustrated, explination.

So I asked my next door neighbour. He showed me how it can be done in about 10 minutes.

(I got another 70,000 Km out of that clunker, btw… best car (based on pennies per kilometre operating cost) I ever had.

Regards
FML

Some wiper blades will have some sort of metal release tab that is located on the wiper blade itself . These release tabs will be located in the area of the wiper blade that connects to the wiper arm . There will be one of two types of release tabs , one you push with your finger , or one that you push through a square hole with a small screw driver . Then pull the wiper blade at the same time as the tab is pressed .
If you do not see any type of release tab on the wiper blade . Then the only proper way is to find a flathead screwdriver , or butter knife . Right where the blade connects to the arm , just fit the screwdriver ( butterknife ) between the arm and blade where they connect and twist the screwdriver and the wiper blade should just pop off .
The new blades will be much easier to put on . You should hear a click when you put them on .

Take it to an auto parts stroe and act clueless.

I’ve had my '98 Corolla since it was new, and don’t worry it’s pretty simple.

First, you take off the old ones and second you put on the new ones.

Your new wipers should have come with instructions – either you just slid the old ones off because they’re held in place by a U-shaped hook, or they’re pinned in place somehow.

If they’re just hooked on (which sounds right – that’s what’s on my Matrix, and the Corolla’s basically the same car) you just need to use a little more force. You might have better luck by parking your car indoors for a few hours, then giving them a spritz of WD-40.

Dammit, Bobo.
(I just like saying that. :smiley: )

WD-40 and blade screwdriver - sounds good. Now, if we can figure out how the duct tape fits in here…

Terminology:
—The wiper arm attaches to the pivot at the base of the windshield.
—The wiper blade attaches to the other end of the arm, at the blade’s center. It has a rubber strip held into a multipart flexible frame.
—The insert is just the rubber that goes into the blade.

If you have a pair of inserts, do yourself a favor - return them and get a pair of blades.

I’m pretty sure your wiper arms are a “shepherd’s crook” design, as others have mentioned. The blade end of the arm is a “J” or “U” shape, into which the blade nestles. To remove the blade, find and press on the release tab that’s somewhere inside the U, and pull the blade out of the U. Make sure the tab is pressed far enough to disengage. Sometimes the blades don’t slide out easily. A little spritz of WD-40 usually overcomes this.

The new blades should have a plastic connector attached in the center of the framework. This connector goes into the U and clicks into place.

Just to add one little detail to Gary T’s post. If you are trying to disconnect a blade held by a U hook arm, turn the blade 90 degrees so that the one end is against the windshield. Then reach up just inside the short end of the U to find the release and press it. the blade then slides down the arm toward the car. When it has moved far enough (1/2-3/4 of an inch) you can the take the blade off the arm.

On our 1989 Corolla, the blades were held onto the arms by Phillips-head screws. No fancy clips or anything like that.