2008 SDMB Yahoo Fantasy Baseball

OK, boys and girls, it’s that time again…

Yahoo has opened up the fantasy baseball signups. It looks like they’ve added one new feature - I can just renew last years league and probably invite everyone in it (since I was commissioner last year, I think I have to do that).

Last year’s thread.

For those not familiar, this league has been going on for several years, with a core group of a dozen or so that have played for most of the seasons. We’re always looking for fresh meat, however, as we like really deep leagues (using going 18 players deep). Last year’s thread should have the info on the settings, and I’m sure someone will be along to post the exact settings and start the discussion on how we should do it.

So, let’s start expressing our joy that this time of the year is here, and start thinking of witty team names and a good league name!

And in more serious stuff - I am willing to be commissioner again, but don’t care one way or the other. However, with what appears to be the new feature of copying from last year’s league and sending out invites, I will say that maybe we should start that way, and I can then reassign the commissioner’s role to whoever we all decide on.

So, regulars (and newcomers), what say you?

Marv Albert Voice YES!

Oh shit yes.

Pretty please? With cherries? (I believe I will qualify as “fresh meat.”)

Why yes, yes I will.

So…about being fresh meat…I wish to be that meat.

Are we instituting position limits?

Sweet!!!

The most competitive fantasy sports league I’ve ever been in is back.

Good to hear from some regulars (and some newcomers).

Ok had some time…
Last year’s settings -
Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, LF, CF, RF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL
Stat Categories: R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG, W, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP

So a bit different from standard Yahoo - deeper rosters, with the IF and OF positions, plus the added twist of LF/CF/RF instead of generic outfield.
And then in stat categories we use OBP and SLG instead of average, and we add Holds to the standard five for pitchers.
Max Games Played 162, Max innings 1300.

Shall we start the annual discussion on whether Holds are a good thing or bad?

Plus anyone have any opinions of whether I should open up the league using the new feature Yahoo has for the previous year’s commissioner?

I don’t mind holds, but I’d like to see the max games and innings at least bumped up.

I’m back in, as usual, and looking forward to getting back to my contending ways after a down year last year.

I don’t have a problem with keeping holds, even though it’s still a voodoo science figuring out what constitutes one for scoring purposes. As far as an innings bump, I think 1300 is a fair number, since the year we did 1350, no one got that close as I recall.

Aye, no more than a few teams hit 1300 last year either, as I recall. It seemed to work pretty well.

I like holds inasmuch as they’re the least of evils, given our choices in the past.

And yeah, I’d use that feature to open up the league for this year.

I tend to annihilate the games played/innings caps.

Well, this league goes REALLY deep - 18 teams times 23 players means you are really digging the bottom of the barrel at the end of the draft.

I’m back for another go at it. :slight_smile:

Count me in!

Ill give this a go, trying to pay more attention to baseball as I now live in a city with a team!

Yay, I love obscenely deep leagues. It is the only place where my knowledge of backup middle infielders comes in handy. I’m in, if you have room for another newbie.

I keep trying to get involved in these things, and I keep coming in too late. Room for one more? I’m a relative novice at fantasy baseball, but I’ve been comically obsessed with the sport for most of my life.

Newfoundland has a team?

Any followup on this?