Tell me your moving horror stories.

I underestimated the amount of boxes I would need. It’s 6:30 and I haven’t even started packing my kitchen yet. We ran out of packing tape. I submitted the final documents today and JUST found out that the property manager’s home office has to send back an approval before we can sign the lease and move in. Our last day in this place has to be today. The power is transferring tomorrow and my entire place is in boxes. I’ve been running all over my house like a chicken with it’s head cut off and getting yelled at whenever I throw something out. I’m tired and achy and stressed and I hate moving and I’m never doing it again and if we’re not able to sign the lease tomorrow I don’t know what we’re going to do and sob.

Tell me your moving horrors. Preferably ones that worked out well in the end. :smiley:

A lot of the same sort of stuff. Moving from Dallas to Phoenix in late August isn’t a brilliant idea. It can get just a little hot in both places! Fighting with my SO about every little thing I wanted to get rid of. I was going to get rid of the DSL box. We were getting cable internet in the new place. We had to take the stupid dsl box because his mother, who lives 5 hours north of here, might want it. The stupid box is still on the top of a shelf 2 years later!

While unpacking, we got into a huge fight because I must have tossed out some of the cables for one of the computers. You would have thought I had left behind precious family heirlooms. I also got serious dirty looks because I’d tossed one of those freebie el cheapo tool kits that we probably got for signing up for AAA or something like that.

Moving is stressful and it sucks. But, a month later and everything is back to normal again.

Moving makes me cry and cry, and that’s even when we’ve had a two-week overlap between old place and new, totally-secured place. (We’ve–I’ve–got too much “stuff”. That’s the problem.) I can’t begin to imagine your stress. Moving truly sucks.

May your housewarming be soon and smooth.

Oh. Horror stories. Well, I once moved myself, all by my lonesome, in the November rains on the west coast. I found the new place, I packed up everything, I moved it all. I didn’t think that weekend would ever, ever end. But it did. And it was okay.

You mean, like a story where there’s a monster but it turns out that the monster is misunderstood and dies in an effort to protect someone else?

The one that comes to mind is when my then-boyfriend-now-husband and a friend of ours helped me move out of an apartment and drive the few hundred miles to the suburbs of Chicago; I had both my car and a moving van, so I was in the van, my friend drove my car, and my boyfriend drove his car back. We discovered, separately, two things upon starting out.

Apparently, my car’s front left tire had something go wrong with the “steel belting” - something either slipped or snapped in there (I forget what), so the drive was pretty bumpy.

Also, we discovered - because I couldn’t go any faster, and this was before everyone had cell phones so I couldn’t communicate this until our first break - that the moving van had a speed governor on it, so we were stuck going 55 on 65 mph highways.

I moved yesterday. My husband went to the new place with the movers while I stayed behind to clean. I got a text message along the lines of “queen size box springs won’t fit up that narrow/90 degree staircase.” I had just started to freak out - five minutes later I got another text “solved.” Apparently, they threw the box springs over the deck railing to the upstairs bedroom. I thought that was pretty ingenious.

I move every couple of years and thank God my company pays for a mover to come and pack me. Mostly I’m living overseas so much of my stuff was in storage. For the first time in 10 years, I’m back in the States and have all my stuff. Of which, I discovered, I have waaaaaaaaaaaay too much. Unfortunately, they don’t unpack me so I have an entire room filled to ceiling with boxes still. I’ve been here for nine months and don’t anticipate it being miraculously unpacked anytime soon…

My moving horror story ends well in that I’m still alive and healthy, but they took over two months to deliver my stuff, as opposed to the 7 day maximum they wrote in their contract, and lost many of my things, including my coffee table.

You win.

Property manager won’t even be in his office today until 2:15. I might scream.

Yikes. My story seems insignificant in comparison.

I had it all worked out. The moving truck would come in the morning, I’d be in my new place by noon, my new land line would be transferred, and Cablevision would come that afternoon to set me up with a new box. Smooth sailing all the way.

Except my phone line was down. And the Cablevision guy never showed. I had to use my GF’s cell to call them and the operator claimed I had cancelled the call. Best I could get was the next weekend. And the phone company claimed they did everything right, the problem must be on my end. The building manager claimed it was on their end. This went back and forth for a week. So I had no services for that first week. And all the complaining I did was either from my work phone or a borrowed cell phone that had maybe 3 minutes left on it.

Friends of mine were moving cross-country (from one Washington to the other).

En route, the moving van with all their possessions caught fire.

From what I heard (thirdhand), it was a total loss.

I think (so far anyway), they win the thread.

When we moved from Dubai to Prague all our stuff was trapped in customs for 3 weeks while we slept on the floor in a flat with no furniture or things… no kitchen either since it was a new flat. It took tons of paperwork and our lawyer to get things out of customs.

The worst long-term was the guy who showed up late, couldn’t stop talking about how much he needed a drink, and scraped peices of the veneer off the front of most of my antique dining set. He also broke my Great-GrandMothers telephone table, and the matching directory stand. and the Bombe chest for the front hall. . . sniff . . . I can’t go on.

Worst during was the time the movers conveniently forgot to put the piano in the truck. A friend and boyfriend had to up-end it and turn it sideways to get it through the door of the room it was in. I about had a heart attack, I was sure somebody would be crushed in the process, and that the piano would never be the same. I was a sobbing mess that time.

The absolute worst was very early in my twenties, when the two new roomates backed out at the last minute, on New Year’s Eve day, and the new tenant for my room arrived that afternoon. And the apartment’s office was not open, so I couldn’t switch to a one-bedroom, or really do much of anything except move all my stuff to a storage place (when I finally found an open one) and stay in a friend’s basement for a week. That one surely did suck.

I hate moving.

We moved 21 times before I left the nest. Most of them were “bad” moves. My wife occasionally mentions moving from our current place, and I get hives, figuratively speaking.

My brother and his young family were moved down from Connecticut by professional movers (paid for by his firm) who labeled and packed everything very neatly. It seemed like the easiest move in the world.

Then the tractor-trailer truck caught fire due to “spontaneous combustion,” according to the parties involved – the stored household goods got so hot in the blazing sun that they ignited. In January, in Connecticut. Although almost everything in the truck was “destroyed” as in, useless and replaceable by insurance, almost all of it was identifiable – charred T-shirts, warped dressers, and so on, strangely enough all the resalable consumer electronics were totally atomized – not a trace remained of charred TVs, computers, blenders, record players, and the like. Imagine the odds!

For some reason the fire investigators didn’t seem alarmed by this – maybe they’ve never seen any trace of consumer electronics survive a “spontaneous” fire, perhaps it’s very consistent where they work – and as far as I know no one was called to account for the robbery/insurance fraud. But the insurance companies for the van line and for the firm reimbursed my brother and his wife lavishly, so all they really missed were all the family photos (particularly irreplaceable were photos of her little sister who had died some years before).

And that’s not the family’s worst moving story. At one time I lived with my parents, sister, and maternal grandparents (my brother had already moved out) in a conveniently three-story house, so each generation could have its own floor. Then my grandfather died while on vacation, and my grandmother (who was in the terrible grip of Alzheimer’s) insisted the family put her into a particular nursing home with her friends – my mom didn’t want her to go, but Grandma made a huge issue of it, and once she was settled in there, would immediately forget her friends and forget she’d asked to be put there, and for the rest of her long life would rail at my mother for having “done that to her.”

Since Grandma was about to leave for the nursing home, my parents decided to move out of the big place – and my Dad announced it would be foolish to move into a new place together, since he’d decided to leave my Mom.

And so we began to sort through and pack up three generations’ worth of stuff while my Mom dealt with her own father’s recent death, her mother’s dementia and abandonment issues, and her husband leaving her, and my Dad tried not to talk to anyone, and my grandmother kept forgetting her husband was dead and wandering around looking for him. We kids couldn’t decide what of our grandparents’ things were supposed to be kept, and didn’t even know where anyone other than Grandma was ultimately going. Mom was essentially nonfunctional, and she’d never been very good at moving. Dad was essentially nonparticipatory and wracked with guilt.

The first big sweep up of junk produced so much trash that the trash pickup guys sent us a notice they wouldn’t be doing that again --we’d have to pay for a separate pickup. So for subsequent sorting and packing, my Dad hatched a scheme to keep our trash output low enough to avoid paying for the special pickup – after dark, each trash night, he’d roam the neighborhood with bags of trash, adding one or two to each neighbor’s pile in a way he hoped would not be noticed. Sort of like an evil, twisted version of Santa Claus.

Ultimately we all five ended up living separately, so the maximum possible amount of subsequent moving was involved.

That was the best move ever.

Edit: composed before Mama Zappa’s story. Wouldn’t be surprised if that case was also fraud.

I see I’m not the only one who parsed it that way.

First move ever as a married couple.
Move out date: Jan 31
Move in date: Feb 1
Husband: On assignment in Australia
Telephone: Disconnected a day early
Cell phone: In his name and with no international calling enabled
Movers: Showed up with a too small truck and at 5pm on Jan 31 say “Oh we’ll just make two trips”
Me: Sobby teary mess with the guy from Rogers begging him to enable international calling so I can have some help figuring out the solution.
Favorite exchange of the day: Well ma’am, just have your husband talk to us and approve the international calling and we’ll add that for you. But it’s him I’m trying to caaallll (imagine despaired wailing here) They did a 24 hr setup for me.
Friends: Show up with cars and stuff TONS of remaining stuff into them and save the day.
Cat: Climbed into friends basement ceiling. Dropped spare florescent light tubes on our heads while trying to escape. Found a way into the walls of my friends house, took 2 days to get her back out.

End Result: He’s not allowed to leave me with another move alone ever.

Number of moves that I handled while he was out of town after this: 2
Number of moves that he handled while I was out of town: 0

Bah!

{{{Sailboat}}} I know you’re probably long since over it, but still. . .

Mr. Neville helped his grandparents move, several years ago. The grandparents got into a huge fight with each other about ten boxes of Tide detergent that were in the old house. One of them wanted to give some to a neighbor, the other insisted on taking them all to their new home. They weren’t speaking to each other for several days over this.

Fortunately, they eventually did get moved, and did start speaking to each other again. They celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary this week. Oh, and they love their new home.

My story isn’t my move but me, in my young fresh-out-of-college days, helping a friend of my brother’s to move. We get to his apartment (not very big) and there are four big trucks there. I’m thinking to myself “four trucks? what can he have in his place?”
It turns out that we are moving stuff in his apartment, plus his storage unit, plus everything in his mother’s house (who has recently died), plus things from his mother’s storage unit.
Every location being 20-30 minutes away from the last location.
Then we drive almost two hours (because of traffic - major sport event on the way!) to his new house and unload most of it in there, then go to his new storage unit and put the rest in there.

At least, we were rewarded with free pizza from Pizza Hut! :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S. Did I mention he had two refrigerators he was keeping (one for the kitchen in the new house, one for the garage), two couches, pretty much two of anything that is a pain to move? And his mother’s furniture was “antique” so we had to be very careful with it? Thank God, no pianos.