Undetectable poison on "Dexter" -- SPOILERS [edited title]

[Nothing but spoilers here – twicks]
How did Hannah from Dexter poision that writer to death without trace?
Any explanation? Seems like a good poison since it can’t even be detected by tox-screen in the police station.

Hannah said it was something completely undetectable. She put it on the tip of his pen after noticing he had a habit of chewing on it. It was intended to take effect while he was driving, making it look like a car accident. It’s hinted she’s used it before (as she knows it won’t show up in a tox-screen).

How come Hannah have some undetectable poision, seems unrealistic. I know it’s a fiction but still…

In the Dexterverse, Miami Metro is almost completely useless. Actually, you could replace “almost” with “100%”.

Could you maybe not put information that needs a SPOILER tag on it in your title? Thanks.

Isn’t ricin pretty much untraceable, or is that just some BS I learned from Unsolved Mysteries (or similar)?

Welcome to the SDMB, oyster11. We ask that people avoid spoilers in Cafe Society, to accommodate people who haven’t seen the show/movie (or read the book, etc.) yet. Specifically, do not put spoilers in the thread title, and if the thread involves the discussion of plot points that are spoilers, add a warning stating so in the thread title. Please be careful about that in the future.

And prr, instead of just bitching at the newbie in the thread, you could report the thread and ask a moderator to fix the problem.

twickster, Cafe Society moderator

I bet any reasonably skilled botanist knows about all kinds of nifty poisons. Fortunately few have the desire to learn how to extract and employ them. On the Dexter-unverse scale of sheer implausibility, with Travis Marshall’s super-speed being the worst example, this is barely a ripple.

I’d use a recreational drug, writers are well known for being drug users(Stephen King says he can’t even remember writing some of his famous novels) so no one would think much if a drug came up during a tox screen that was used recreationally. Like LSD.

but then it has to be an overdose which isnt easy to do

Isn’t one of the tropes for tv crime shows “the tox screen can’t detect it if they’re not looking for it”?

So if she uses a chemical not commonly checked for in a screen, and if it causes death in a manner that pretty much looks like a heart attack (or causes a heart attack) then it gets ruled a heart attack. Neat and tidy.

What more if the cause of death is a car accident. A 35 year old dies from a heart attack, they’ll look closely. 35 year old falls asleep and runs off road or something similar, meh - not so much.

Iocane, I’d bet my life on it!