2012 Winter concert season

So what are Dopers catching this season?

We’ve a surprisingly small lineup this year, though of course things may change as dates get announced or time opens up.

We’re hitting two awesome P-Funk shows. The first is at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, a somewhat formal venue to land the mothership in … but we bought out a box in the third tier and are taking the three-year-old Dudeling to his first P-Funk show! Given that he was born to Flashlight, it’s kind of a big deal to us.

The other P-Funk is at our favourite venue for them (B.B. Kings in the City). This time, our special guest will be both my parents. Got my mom into P-Funk years ago and she’s seen them there once before; this time round my dad will be along too.

After buying tickets about six months ago, we’re two weeks away from catching Leonard Cohen. No Dudeling for that one. It’s a bit sketchy in a way. Our nanny is on maternity leave and we don’t know if she’ll be available to babysit. It wouldn’t be a big deal, but CPS recently told us that it’s pretty frowned upon to leave him in a cardboard box for the night, no matter how many airholes we put in it. Go figure.

The only other thing we have set up is the Kodo drummers, again at NJPAC. We had the chance to sit in the second row, but thought it’s another thing the Dudeling would like. We again bought a good chunk of space up high to give us room to quietly take him to the lobby if need be.

What are the Dopers taking in? Any must-see shows we’re overlooking?

I just bought tickets this morning for the Philadelphia Orchestra’s “Messiah,” which I’ll be attending with my sister. It’s been years and years and years since I’ve been to a live performance of it, and this should be magnificent. (Esp. since we’ll be sitting with the angels at the top of the top tier.)

Really looking forward to seeing the Trans-Siberian Orchestra again Dec 16th (this will be the third time I’ve seen them). Our seats are 16 rows back from center stage. They did a Beethoven’s Last Night concert this past spring and I am really bummed that we missed it, it’s my favorite TSO album (I like their two non-Christmas albums best, although the Christmas stuff is quite good).

I’ve got my whole subscription to the Met to look forward to, with Aida up next. It’ll be my first time seeing an opera I’ve already seen once before, which will be an interesting experience. Don Giovanni was this last weekend. Not going on my list of personal favorites, but the flame effects at the finale were impressive–I could feel the heat all the way up in the rafters where I sit. Still to come are La Traviata, L’Elisir d’Amour, and Rigoletto. (And um, possibly something else–I just realized that I may have switched a ticket for something I already had in my subscription. D’oh.)

There’s a light season where I am at, too. I have not seen anything this winter, and am thinking of seeing Hot Water Music even though I don’t like a lot of their album music: they give good concert the couple of times I"ve seen them.

The next big concert for me is in March with Coheed and Cambria. Their song mix is awesome in concert, in that they play all of their popular stuff, plus regularly rotate amongst their more obscure stuff. Plus their opening bands are usually worth checking out, too. I’m even thinking of getting tickets to see them in other locations around the state. If I do, they will be up there amongst the acts I’ve seen the most live. Dashboard Confessional is number one, but Coheed will soon be tied with Saves the Day and Heart for second place.

Very nice. We just saw Carmen back in October, my first opera in years. My folks have been going a bit recently and I believe they’ve plans to take in Rigoletto (or was it La Traviata? Both?). Have you done their backstage tour? The folks did and couldn’t say enough good things about it–it sounded fascinating!

I have VIP tickets to see Skrillex on NYE, which should be pretty awesome and in a few days, I’ll be purchasing my Fleetwood Mac tickets

Seeing Medeski, Martin and Wood with John Scofield tomorrow. Been looking forward to it for months.

Well it’s winter here in Australia, but I’m looking forward to seeing:

First Aid Kit
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra)
Sarah Blasko (with orchestra)
Neil Finn & Paul Kelly

… all playing at the Sydney Opera House in the next month or two.

And Bruce Springsteen tickets go on sale on Wednesday. I will be sitting poised at my computer with credit card in hand.

You’re in for such a treat. Last time I caught them was about a year or so ago, maybe less. They were touring with Antibalas on a 20th year trip. Antibalas had an amazing first set, then MMW’s was all based on fan votes. Holy holy shit. A Bubblehouse encore. Amazing, amazing amazing. Babysitting is too tight to catch them in the City next week.

Just noticed Bobby McFerin tickets are on sale for a couple places within a drive. He’s also playing the Kennedy Center in May; tickets don’t go on sale until February. Choices, choices.

I am flying down to San Francisco in Feb. to check out The Who’s Quadrophenia Revisited gig, (it’s actually in Oakland) and am looking forward to that, and just booked my flights down to New Orleans for Jazzfest (this will be my 18th consecutive year) but that’s not until May, so I need to figure out something to tide me over in the meantime.

I just now saw that the new, up-and-coming Neo-Soul/Jam Band Alabama Shakes are going to be here in Salt Lake in March, so that’s something to look forward to. I saw them open up for Neil Young & Crazy Horse at Denver’s legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre back in August and was very impressed with their music.

Just added the Allman Brothers Band at the Beacon (though I may change that to Cirque de Sole) and scheuled in Galactic, the New Mastersounds and Balkan Beatbox.

Leonard Cohen was amazing. So many bands screw over the sound at the Garden, but he had some top-notch sound techs.

Any other updates?

(listen on, MPB, wherever you are)

That MSMW show was a scorcher! I saw Justin Bieber last Monday, mainly curious to see what Phish’s lighting director was doing (blowing little girls’ minds, that’s what), Furthur at the Ogden, small venue here, Ben Folds Five, Passion Pit, Mickey Hart Band, and Bela Fleck with the CO Symphony so far. Oh and Alabama Shakes, with a possible ABB at the Beacon too if we can coordinate visiting my husband’s parents in NY, his dad’s a head :slight_smile: I’m planning SXSW right now, but that’s for the Spring thread.