eBook on Forums/Message Boards now out!

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3391/t7x2.png

This is currently an eBook only, but I hope to have a print version available in about six weeks.

The introductory price is $0.99 (with equivalents in other currencies) from Amazon, at:

This look at the activity of using forums is perfect for beginners, but even experienced Dopers may find some interesting tidbits in the book. The full treatment of argumentation (including fallacies and other conscious and unconscious tactics for “winning”) may be of use to many who enjoy a good debate.

At 99 cents…why not give it a try? :slight_smile:

By the way, for those who are interested but who don’t have Kindles: there are free downloads at Amazon called “Kindle for PC” and “Kindle for Mac.” These are useful to have on the desktop as there are hundreds of free books available for them. They are very attractive to deal with given the good Search, choice of font size, and other features contained in the free software.

TABLE of CONTENTS
ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
Chapter 1: WHY HAVE YOUR SAY ON THE INTERNET?
A Very Brief History of Online Talk
What’s in This Book?
Why No List?
Why Converse with Strangers?
Basic Terminology
…Abbreviations and AcronymsChapter 2: CHOOSING YOUR FORUM – Looking Under the Hood
Site Focus
Access
Ownership
Size
Traffic/Activity
Moderation Level
Diversity
Atmosphere
Features: The Rules; Navigability
Features: Posting Conveniences
Features: Personalization–Profiles; Post Mini-Profiles
Features: Personal Contact
Features: Social Media Sharing
Features: Graphics
Features: Advertising
Features: Searchability
Features: Post Count Ranking & Other “Pecking-Order” Systems
The Mechanics of JoiningChapter 3: WHO ARE YOU? – Image, Influence, and Anonymity
The Debate
Choosing a Screen Name
Gender, Age, Ethnicity, and Beyond: Online Identity
Deception in Message BoardingChapter 4: ONLINE AGGRESSION and the SHREWD FORUM-USER
Forums and Fundamental Human Needs
“Trolls Are People, Too”
Humans Hate Being Ignored
Who Trolls?
The Varieties of Trolling
A Troll’s Best Friends: Those He’s Trolling
Troll Self-Claims and Cultural Support for Trolling
Commercially-Motivated Aggression
"The Nasty Effect"Chapter 5: LAWS, “LAWS,” NETIQUETTE, and STATUS
Laws
“Laws”
Netiquette
STATUS --Reputation, Ranking, Up and Down Voting, Karma, and Other ‘Respect’ Features
Early Rationales and Uses
Rewarding Time Spent
Rating, Respect, and Reputation: Voting on Posts
Rating, Respect, and Reputation: Voting on People
Rating, Respect, and Reputation: Feedback ButtonsChapter 6: ARGUMENTATION 101 – Identifying Fallacies and Other Non-Malicious Errors
The Use of Fallacies Online: An Overview
The Most Frequently Used Fallacies
Other Common Non-Malicious TacticsChapter 7: ARGUMENTATION 201-- Dealing With Disreputable Tactics
Often-Used Malicious Tactics
SOCK PUPPETRY
INTIMIDATION
PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY
HASTY, INACCURATE ACCUSATIONS --Overview
Inaccurate ACCUSATIONS of Commission of “The Tone Argument”
MOBBING
What Can be Done?
Dealing With It: Two Widely-Cited Views
Why Go to the Trouble?Chapter 8: A SOCIAL SUGAR-HIGH and SUBSTANCE, TOO --Impact, Influence, and Advantage
Forums as a Resource: Communication and Persuasion Skills
Forums as a Resource: Sounding Board
Forums as a Resource: Information Gathering
Forums as a Resource: Recreation; Creativity; Fun
A Few Final Forum FootnotesREFERENCES
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Do you have a non-Amazon version available?

Not yet. My project now is to format the ebook for printing. That will be through Amazon, also, as that’s the most economical option for me.

However, I will eventually have copies available for sale at my publisher’s site at www.duerpress.com. This will probably take a couple of months.

(Thanks for asking; I do realize that ebooks and/or Amazon are not to everyone’s taste. But a person has to start somewhere! ^_^)

Oh, ebooks are fine – I just don’t want the Amazon version. If I’m going to buy an ebook I want it in an open format. And I really like the reader on my iPad, so I don’t want to download the Kindle app for it.

That makes sense.

Just as a general observation: The “Kindle for PC” or “Kindle for Mac” free downloads are nice to have because there are so many free books available. There are a couple of reference books I like to use on it, when working on my desktop, because the K-for-PC has a good search.

I believe there are free videos that can be watched on it, too.

It may not float everyone’s boat, but I like it.

Most of the free ones are available in open formats as well, which can be shared between devices. I just happen to like the iPad reader (it has all of those searching/bookmarking/note-taking/highlighting features, too) and I don’t want to split my ebook collection between two different reader applications.

Yeah, that would be confusing.

It’s the old story: consumers lose out on some opportunities while competing formats battle for supremacy. :frowning: