How can I get rid of IOS 7?

I’ve had the misfortune of updating the software on my Iphone, and now the whole system is hideous. Everything is a horrible glaring white, and they’ve messed everything up so I don’t know how to use my phone any more.

How can I take my phone back to good old IOS 6, or at least change the graphical settings so that it looks back to normal?

(PS Please don’t anyone tell me how wonderful the new interface is, and how I will get used to it. I hate it, and that’s final!)

I don’t think you can unless you used software to save your 6.1.x iOS as a ‘blob’ the way the jail breakers do. Otherwise, Apple blocks ‘downgrades’ to earlier versions of the OS.

Might not work, but there’s this. (I skimmed the instructions. Good luck with that.)

But the new interface is wonderful and you will get used to it!

There is no legit way to go back to an earlier version of iOS on a device once you’ve updated it. You might be able to manage it through jailbreaking, but I don’t have any experience with this, and it would definitely void your warranty.

Sorry. I’m not a huge fan of iOS7 either. :frowning:

FWIW, there are a few settings you can change in 7 to make it more sixy.

If you don’t like the thin text, you can enthicken it by going to Settings > General > Accessibility > Bold Text. That might make the text more pleasant to read.

Also, right under the Bold Text setting is Increase Contrast. If you turn that on, it will replace the opaque backgrounds you see in views like Notification Center and Control Center with solid backgrounds.

Hope that helps at least some. I understand that you don’t like it now, but it’s not like Apple is going back to the old iOS ways anytime soon. 7 is the future of iOS. In the meantime, lie back and think of Cupertino.

Apple giveth, and Apple taketh away.

You hated it that much? I don’t like Apple or their products other than the iPod. I only have an iPhone because that’s what my employer pays for me to have. I much preferred my previous Android phone. But iOS 7 to me was pretty inoffensive - some GUI updates (which I mostly think are improvements) and some under-the-hood updates I’ll probably never notice. “Glaring white” - to what are you referring?

Hmm…I like the new iOS, but all of a sudden, I have nearly 40K unread messages, when before I had zero. Anybody have an idea of what’s up?

Unread messages or unread emails?

Mine is showing unread emails (which are indeed unread and long forgotten), where none appeared before. I dislike the little red reminder of them so much that I’ll soon be going into my email account on my computer to hunt them down and delete them.

Sorry. Emails. The little email icon is showing a bubble with “3…3” in it (indicating unread messages, and the “3…3” is verbatim, not some deliberate obfuscation of the number of emails I have unread), and when I tap on it, I see my two POP email accounts adding up to those 38K or whatever unread emails, where before the update, they were clear.

Yeah, for some reason iOS 7 wants to display the number of unread messages where iOS 6 didn’t.

I just went into my email account and had it display all unread messages, then Shift/selected all of 'em and used the “Mark as Read” command to keep them from showing up as unread in the little red bubble over the mail icon. Since you have so many messages you may have to mark yours as read 50 or 100 messages at a time or however many you can get your account to display at once.

Good luck. I don’t envy you the task.

Well, the old iPhone email would display an unread email count in a red bubble, but it wasn’t a number reflecting–I don’t know–all the emails I’ve never read on my iPhone? I’m not sure what the 38K number means. With the old Mail, I’d just log in, and whatever I had local that was unread would show up in the count. At least that’s how I think it worked. It’s only been a couple hours and already I forgot.

You’re right, new emails showed up in a bubble on my old OS too. What I meant was that all my old unread emails didn’t show up, only new ones for some reason. As far as the 38k number, my guess is that you’ve got “All inboxes” selected and 38k is the total number of unread emails in all your various email accounts. You might try clicking on your mail icon and selecting only the account you use mostly and see if that eliminates the large number of unread messages that are showing up. If it does, then you might consider just checking those other accounts manually from time to time rather than having them alert you via the mail icon.

If none of that helps, then I got nothin’.

:slight_smile:
Oh, wait, maybe I do. Try this…I don’t know how well it’ll work given the number of messages involved but it might be worth a try:

First of all, you need to get to the “Mailboxes” dialog. Tap the mail icon. If the heading for the list that comes up reads “All inboxes”, tap “Mailboxes” in the upper left corner. On the other hand if it already reads “Mailboxes” then you’re already there.

Click “Edit” at the upper right of the Mailboxes dialog. That will bring up a button you can check to display “Unread” messages. Check that button and then click “Done” in the upper right corner.

Now you should be back in the “Mailboxes” section only with a clickable field for unread messages. Open it and your unread messages should appear. Now, in the upper right corner click “Edit”. This should give the ability to mark all the messages as read. I imagine it will take a while given that there are 38k messages involved, but once they’re marked, click “Done” and you should be good to go.

My Android phone never screws me over like this. You should get an Android phone.

From the graphics in the various review articles I saw, I was certain I would hate the look and feel of 7. But, I upgraded, and, actually, it looks OK.

I did encounter a bug, though, which turned off my screen. The iPad was still fully functional, you just couldn’t see anything. Took a hard reset to clear it.

OP: while I’m not going to tell you that iOS7 is great and you’ll get used to it (although I think it is much nicer looking than iOS6, FWIW) I do wonder why you chose to upgrade if you disliked the look so much. It’s not like the new design was a big secret sprung on you by Apple - there have been pictures and videos of it all everywhere since it was unveiled back in June.

There’s a reason why I never do any iOS update until about two weeks after it comes out.

Ok, two reasons. First, the servers are always jammed solid for the first several days. I’ve seen devices rendered unusable because it fails. Second, I’ve seen releases with major bugs and I want to give them some time to know how to fix them before I jump in.

Prolly wait until after my vacation next week. Don’t want to be one of those idiots who decides that the perfect time to do an upgrade is an hour before they have to be at the airport.

Yeah…that’s only allowing me to mark them one by one. Guess I’m just gonna have to wait until they sort it.

When I opened up my mailbox this morning, it initially said I had over 2 BILLION unread messages, before checking the server and reverting back to the 38K number.

ETA: Oh, there it is again: “Updated Just Now 2,147,464,500 Unread”.

I’m guessing that you’ve actually died and are posting from Hell. You’ve got over 2 billion emails to read and the number appears to be increasing.

Get to work, Sisyphus!