If you like Halloween/Horror Films Check This Out...

Halloween is creeping up on us. If you love movies of the season check out the above link. A person has compilied nearly 900 (and growing) horror films. It is easy to click on their IMDB link to see if they would interest you. These films are from various eras and various genres. Some are real rarities! Tastes vary of course but here are a couple of my suprise likes:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816556/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 (Lake Mungo)

As Above, So Below (2014) - IMDb (As Above So Below with Honeysuckle Weeks sister)

Fright Night (1985) - IMDb (Fright Night with Amanda Bearse/Marcie Rhodes from Married With Children)

Hope you enjoy!!

All you need is It Follows.

eXistenZ is horror?

What’s so surprising about the original Fright Night from 1965? It starred Chris Sarandon and Roddy McDowell in addition to Amanda Bearse. It was a darn good movie, one of my favorites in fact, and spawned a crappy remake decades later.

DLed It Follows…willl watch soon. Any more reccomendations?

Tiny nitpick…1985 but Im sure it was a typo. It was a very entertaining movie.

Ive heard good things about The Babadook despite its bad name and the Mexican horror film Here Comes The Devil which is shaky cam/quick cut free.

Just finished It Follows. Excellent and elegant. Thank you for the reccomendation.

Phantasm 1-4 An excellent series. The first film was shot for next to nothing.

Here comes the devil was stupid. Lake Mungo and the Babadook were book very good.

Sinister (2012) - IMDb (Sinister) was very good with an excellent performance from Ethan Hawke.

Rosemary's Baby (1968) - IMDb (Rosemarys Baby) a classic old school suspense thriller. Gets flack from younger viewers for pacing but I dont agree with them.

Cool! We cannot have too many horror movie threads and I look forward to not only checking out some that are on her list, but also any recommendations any of you offer as a result of it.

Fright Night is fun, I don’t know what *Honey Suckle Weeks *is and *So Above as Below[/I ]is not my cup of tea. Yes, a thousand times yes to Lake Mungo,It Follows and Babadook.

Honeysuckle Weeks is on the British show Foyles War…a mystery series that occurs during and after WWII. One of the better shows ever. :slight_smile:

BTW…skipping obvious classics like:

The Exorcist
The Omen

I am not a torture fan so I havent seen Saw or Hostel or sequels. Should I bite the bullet and watch them?

My favorite old-school horror movie is The Changeling. No gore, just a very scary, moving ghost story done well.

The Pact (2012)
No IMDB link…on my phone.

Excellent character driven ghost story. No gore and little violence.

Liked it as well. Another great performance from George C Scott.

I’m not fan of the genre either but I think the first (and only the first) Saw is worth watching once. Yes, it’s torturey but the first installment has some pretty clever ideas and good suspense. Haven’t seen Hostel but have read the full synop and I have no desire to see it. YMMV.

As always, I cannot participate in a thread like this without pounding the table for my two favorites: The Ring and Session 9 and I will add Skeleton Keyand Ghost Story.

I can’t believe it’s already time for this year’s thread on good horror movies!

The Haunting, the 1963 film directed by Robert Wise and based on the Shirley Jackson book The Haunting of Hill House, is by far my favorite ghost story/haunted house movie. Excellent acting, superb set design, and very little in the way of special effects – but an extremely effective move.

The Innocents (1961) is an adaptation of Henry James’ book The Turn of the Screw, and it’s very, very good. Excellent performance by Deborah Kerr.

For something more recent, The Others (2001) is very atmospheric with a great story.

The Woman in Black (2012) was a pretty good attempt to adapt Susan Hill’s novel of the same name. It’s pretty effects-heavy at times (not to its benefit), and I think the ITV adaptation from 1989 is in many ways superior. The latter is available for viewing on YouTube. I so very much want to see the stage production in London sometime.

It occurs to me that all of the above recommendations are period pieces. Hmmph. It also occurs to me that none of the above are in at least the top 100 of the list referenced in the OP. Double hmmph.

As mentioned above, both the 1985 original and 2011 remake of Fright Night are very good – it’s a rare case in which a remake is (almost) as good as the original.

I’ve started, but not finished, The Babadook on Netflix-- I want to start from the beginning with my wife. What I’ve seen has been very impressive. I also heard and read very good things about It Follows, and I’m very much looking forward to seeing that soon.

I completely agree with your choices.

I don’t believe the woman who is compiling the list is ordering them best to worst. Its just a list that she continually adds to.

I have to recommend Lake Mungo; an Aussie mockumentary about a family who loses a child. No blood or gore.

I almost hate to recommend ‘Americas Most Haunted’ because its goofy. Its s very indie satire on ghost hunting shows. Its fun to watch while doing other things.

I’m surprised that El Orfanato (2007) hasn’t been mentioned yet. It’s a great ghost story, and I think it’s along the lines of *The Babadook *and It Follows.

Edited to add: What We Do in the Shadows, hilarious mockumentary

Without looking it up, are you refering to the American titled The Orphange? I honestly can’t remember if I’m thinking of an American remake or an original Spanish language film with subtitles. The film I’m thinking of is outstanding( so yeah, you’d think I’d remember if it was subtitled but I watch A LOT of horror). Big thumbs up, though!

Grave Encounters…a very good lost footage type film. Watch in darkness.