The French and the Frogs...

Why do we call the French frogs? One of my co-workers claims it’s because they eat frogs, but other people are known frog eaters.

Usually around 3:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, our search engine is available for a limited time for just such questions. That is, assuming the gerbil has anything left to give.

So type in “french frog” or some such, and sit back and you will find thus:French =Frogs

The people on Guernsey are called “Donkeys”. I think they just have pet names for each other.

To begin with it’s not frogs but frogeaters. This pejorative name was first used by the people at the court in Versailles about the ruffians from Paris, and for some reason the expression has crawled out of France and become a nickname for the nation as a whole.

It may have begun as “frogeater” but I’ve never heard anyone use that term. Only “frog”. (And I’ve very seldom heard an American use the term, but lots of Brits. I think it’s a regional rivalry thing.)

Personally, I think the “french = frogs” thing has as much to do with alliteration as any other reason.

I thought the term came from badly-rendered fleurs-de-lys on banners and flags carried by the French armies during the constant unpleasantness between the English and the French a few hundred years ago. Apparently, the limeys thought the fleurs-de-lys looked like frogs, and started calling the folks who marched under those banners “frogs”.

Is this total crap? Where did I get this in my head? Anybody else ever heard it?

Frogs = French came from their gastronomical tastes, not their flags. It was traditional to refer to groups by their food tastes. German = kraut, English = Roast Beef, and (IIRC) the Dutch were referred to as John Cheese which was pronounced by them like Yan Keys and the Dutch in New Holland (New York) later became Yankees.

::why do I bother?::

If you read the link which I supplied above to our previous discussion, you will see the definitive word, In My Humble Opinion{IMHO}, supplied by tomndebb who just about always is on the mark when it comes to factual information.

He said

Now, Evan Morris spends a lot more time on derivations of words or phrases than you or I. I doubt that he posts info which he makes up out of his head or that he “heard someone say.” His site is one of the 5 or so most respected sources available on the internet for word/phrase derivation.

READ HIS EXPLANATION. If you can’t follow a link, then here is his answer:

So, here’s what we have learned today:

l. “frog” was probably the original term applied to a group you didn’t like. It dates to the 1300’s.

1. The French probably got the term applied to them around the time the British and the French were at war in the late 18th/early 19th century. It possibly/probably referred to the French like of frog’s legs and possibly/probably the “presence of frogs on the coat of arms of the city of Paris.”

I apologize sincerely to posters who have added posts which correctly applied the above information.

Swede Hollow wrote:

The story that appeared in one of my textbooks years ago said that Yankee came from an Indian chief’s mispronunciation of English as Yengees.

Dave Wilton, who writes a great word site, sums up the current theories about “yankee” here.

To summerize Dave, the best theory is that it is a diminuitive of “Jan.” The next best theory is the “Jan Kaas/John Cheese” story.

All others suggested derivations come in way back in the pack.

Another example is the French term les rosbifs to refer to the English. There’s actually an extensive footnote on this subject in the Arden edition of Henry VI Part I (edited by Edward Burns…I think). I quote:

I love those Arden editions…