TIME Magazine: French people are "Frogs"

Apparently, racial epithets are okay for TIME editors to use:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1843168,00.html

I know it’s been even more fashionable since the Iraq War to have a weird hate on for France, but it is really necessary now for editors at large newsmagazines to use ethnic slurs?

Do you think it would be okay if I wrote an article about how the “Chinks” own a lot of US debt, or how the “Micks” have created a successful economy? Don’t fucking think so. I wonder how Mr. Saporito would like it if I called him a fucking wop, or a greasy dago. I’m guessing not much.

Wow…

They can’t really claim ignorance, can they? I remember back during ski team tryouts in eighth or ninth grade and one of my friends called a french Canadian a frog and our teacher raised holy hell. The teacher even threatened to shut down the ski team. Isn’t it reasonably common knowledge that it’s derogatory?

It is not the French now, **we **surrender…

Dang, I thought you were kidding, but there it is:

Of course, the article is using it ironically, that the US gov’t is adopting the methods of the “Frogs” it professes to disdain.

Whether or not that context mitigates it, I don’t know. Is “frog” really that offensive? Is it the French version of “nigger” or of “limey”? (I’m assuming the British don’t get all worked up by “limey”.)

It’s tongue in cheek. He’s not being entirely serious here. I mean, the essay also contains the lines,

"Italy? Sure, it’s had four governments since last Thursday, but none of them would have allowed this to go on; the Italians know how to rig an economy. "

and

“. And one more thing: the food snob French love McDonalds, which does a fantastic business there. They know a good freedom fry when they taste one.”

I think some people are being a bit too sensitive here.

Is Mick really offensive? The only people I’ve ever heard use it are Irish. I always thought it just referenced that a lot of their surnames start with Mc. A pretty neutral descriptor.

I’m not seeing anything wrong with the piece. It’s obviously used ironically.

I’ve only ever heard this from Americans. I thought it was that Michael/Mick is a very common name here, like Paddy.

‘Frog’ isn’t all that strong as far as racial slurs go–I’ve known French Canadians who collected frogs. It falls much closer to a childhood taunt. Still, it can be offensive, and I don’t know that it’s really appropriate for a TIME article.

You’ve only heard it considered offensive from Americans or you’ve only heard it at all from Americans?

It could have been worse. At least they capitalized it.

Maybe it’s a new editorial policy to attract readers.

“The Wetback Crisis: Greasers in Our Midst?”

“Kraut Industrial Conglomerate Signs Oil Deal with Russki Government.”

“Tensions Ease Between Yids and Ragheads.”

“Leaded Paint in Toys Traced to Heathen Chinee.”

Russki means Russian.

Well it’s better than Paddy, but sadly “Irish” itself can be used as a derogatory term when applied like “Irish Confetti” for bricks or “Irish Twins” for two children born to the same parents less than 12 months apart.

What?? I always thought Irish twins was funny! I got it from my grandma, who is Irish. Are people really offended by some of this stuff or are the ultra-PC types just offended on their behalf?

(Some are legit for sure; I’ve known French and French Canadians who are very offended by “frog”.)

Are you questioning my slur, you… um (what is your ethnicity? Help me out here).

Anyway, it may be a transliteration of “Russian,” but that doesn’t mean it can’t also be used in a derogatory sense. I was initially going to use “Polack,” but I don’t think they have any oil. I strive for plausibility in my bigoted tirades when possible.

But maybe you’re right, and I’ve lost the ability to recognize a proper ethnic slur. Perhaps I’ve been avoiding my family for too long. I really ought to visit more often.

Only heard it from Americans. I jokingly call my brother a “spud-eating mick” in a cod-NY accent though.

Is French even a “race”?

Perhaps Irish-Americans are tetchy about this but for obvious historical reasons Irish stereotypes only bother me when uttered by ill-meaning Brits.

And of course they should be! They are Canucks.

Re the “Irish twins” thing: my first sister and I, after all these decades, still like playing with the twins concept during the three weeks every year that we are both the same age. (Nitpickers need not apply. :p)