Escanaba in da Moonlight

Has anyone seen this movie?

It’s a comedy about deer hunting in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. It stars Jeff Daniels. Heard it was quite funny. (And please, no spoilers.)

see it? I lived it (I live in Michigan, used to be married to a deer hunter). I heard it was funny (or at least it was to those who were familiar with the setting).

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I saw the play it was based on.

It is quite funny, in a rustic, crudish kind of way. In short, guys will love it, but it’s not a particularly good date movie. They filmed on location, so there is some reality to the film in addition to being written by a native Michiganian.

The story takes place at a family deer camp - a cabin to which the subject family has been going for deer season for years and years. The chief protagnonist has, in all his years, never bagged a buck. Hilarity, and a certain amount of surreal paranormality, ensues.

The film played in Michigan earlier this year, and the local theaters did big business, but I don’t think that Daniels could ever convince a national distributor to take the film. I’ll bet he makes money on the video release.