10 Greatest Cartoon Series of All Time

What would you choose as the 10 greatest cartoon series of all time? I’m talking about judging them on originality, artistry, humor, sheer viewing pleasure, most incisive/acerbic, most disturbing, whatever. The only guideline is limit your selection to 10.

Okay, though I’m no expert, here are some of mine, in no particular order:

1. Road Runner
  2. The Simpsons
  3. The Bullwinkle Adventure Hour
  4. Space Ghost
  5. Jonny Quest (the original)
  6. Rolie Polie Olie (great toddler toon)
  7. The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (before 3-D)
  8. Speed Racer (maybe)
  9. Scooby Doo (earlier years)
    10)Dudley Doo-Right

I know I’m forgetting a few. For reference, here’s the definitive list of cartoons from the 1950s forward: http://www.yesterdayland.com

1. Simpsons
  2. Futurama (the other Simpsons)
  3. Scooby Doo (despite the animosity generated towards it in the GD thread a few months ago, it has a soft spot in my heart)
  4. Powerpuff Girls
  5. Dexter’s Lab
  6. Family Guy (hey, a talking dog AND a baby…that’s damned original, IMO!)

All right…I can’t think of anymore…I guess I don’t watch as many cartoons as I thought. :slight_smile:

Scoobie Doo
Hong Kong Fooey
Whacky Races
Roadrunner
Wren and Stimpy
Goofy
Duckula

1. Advanced Dungeons and Dragons
  2. Snorks
  3. The Littles
  4. Rubik the Amazing Cube
  5. Punky Brewster
  6. My Little Pony
    …oh Ten GREATEST…damn!

Original versions, of course in no particular order

Road Runner
Jonny Quest
Tom and Jerry
Foghorn Leghorn
Bugs Bunny
Daffy Duck
Jetsons
Yogi Bear
Rocky and Bullwinkle
etc

1. Astro Boy
  2. Flash Gordon
  3. Herculoids
  4. Blackstar
  5. Simpsons
  6. Ren and Stempy
  7. Batman: The Animated Series
  8. Superman (The newest one)
  9. Spider-Man (The newer one)
    10.Cowboy Bebop
  10. Not really cartoon series but pretty much any of the older Warner Brothers cartoons and any of the Disney cartoons where the characters team up.

I’d also like to hand out a special kudo to Justice League, even though I’ve only seen the pilot so far.

Well, some great ones have been mentioned, but some of the best have been left out (particularly #2, and #4-#7)

1. The Simpsons
  2. The Critic
  3. Futurama
  4. The Tick
  5. Gargoyles
  6. Transformers
  7. Rocko’s Modern Life
  8. Ren and Stimpy (earlier ones)
  9. Dexter’s Laboratory
  10. Scooby Do (w/out Scrappy)

Easy. Though some of these are “great” out of default to either popularity, hi-concept, or theme. But some truely shine, reaching all categories.

1- Simpsons (you won’t find better, and solid writing)
2- Kimba the White Lion (“Jungle Emperor” in Japan)
3- Batman animated series (best “mature” series from America)
4- South Park (hi-concept cool)
4- Beavis and Butthead (the original South Park)
5- Nadia (Anime series)
6- Big-0 (extremely under-rated, and overlooked series)
7- The Critic (though it tries too hard to be the Simpsons)
8- Duckman (also tries very hard to be the Simpsons)
9- Dirty Pair (anime classic - today’s anime owes them a lot)
10- Warner Bros. series of cartoons (fits all categories).
RUNNER UPS:

Don’t ask me why, but I’m a sucker for a show I’ve only caught a dozen, or so times. I can’t even spell the name…it’s about a Chinese cat and her family…the cat can write caligraphy, and paint pictures with her tail. The whole series is set in early period China, I ust can’t get enough of it. It’s a very basic show aimed at younger audiences, but it’s damn cool.

Invader Zim is also very good. Nice hi-concept stuff…though I’ve known Johnen for a while, and his style hasn’t changed much over the years. I guess I’m jaded from behind the scenes.

ON A SIDE NOTE:

Traditional animation isn’t the only cool thing out there.
I also dig some shows that BLEND animation, and/or, use other live-action methods in a series:

1- Thunderbirds (marionette puppets)
2- Captain Scarlet (more puppets)
3- Electro Woman and Dyna Girl (female Batman camp)
4- Teletubbies
5- Space Ghost Coast to Coast

Jet Black

What the hell? Why can’t I edit my last post? I wanted to fix my bad typing.

Jet Black

In no particular order, cause that would be too hard and irritating:

1 The Simpsons
2 Rocko’s Modern Life
3 Batman (the dark American one)
4 Looney Tunes
5 Gargoyles
6 Futurama
7 The Critic
8 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (I was a kid, so shaddup)
9 Transformers
10 Two Stupid Dogs

I would say most of the cartoons on this list, and SpongeBob SquarePants.

Looney Tunes (particularly the Chuck Jones ones)
Tom & Jerry (but only the Chuck Jones ones)
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Tex Avery’s Futuristic Series
Battle of the Planets
The Simpsons
Wait till your father gets home (the original Family Guy)
South Park
Scooby Doo (before Scrappy)
Hysteria!

I really liked Hysteria!. I wish it hadn’t come and gone so quickly. I liked the focus on the history, and there was some adult humor to it.

I’ll toss in my two cents with “The New Mighty Mouse”, which ran for a couple seasons in the late eighties. That was back when the “big three” networks cared about their Saturday morning line-up, which may be why it lasted only a short while. But it was on late in the line-up and got the “Letterman” treatment: Nobody’s watching, so we can get away with more strange content. Seriously twisted and way ahead of its time, it looked like no other cartoon of its time but paved the way for many of the offbeat cartoons already mentioned.

If you mean greatest as in most influential, enduring, and iconic status, my picks are:

1. Bugs Bunny
  2. Road Runner
  3. Popeye the Sailor (yes, I know he was originally famous as a comic strip character; but beyond that, I think the animated cartoons stand on their own.)
  4. Tom & Jerry
  5. Rocky & Bullwinkle
  6. Flintstones
  7. Scooby-Doo
  8. Simpsons
  9. Batman

Ducktales, Tailspin, Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers, and Goof Troop need to be in there somewhere.

Simpsons is #1.
Tee one with the caligraphy cat is Sagwa. I don’t like it, but I do like Arthur.

1.) Sonic SatAM

2.) Simpsons

3.) Samurai Jack

4.) Gargoyles

5.) South Park

6.) Futurama

7.) Power Puff Girls

8.) Invader ZIM

9.) Batman

10.) Rocky & Bullwinkle

to Jet Black

the reason you can’t edit is because it taxes the servers A LOT when people edit. that’s what “preview” is for; it doesn’t have to modify the server’s HD to preview.

[li] Jonny Quest[/li]
[li] Scooby Doo[/li]
[li] Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour[/li]
[li] He-Man[/li]
[li] The Flinstones[/li]
(I can’t think of any more!)

1. Simpsons (years ago they would’ve been far higher on the list. I don’t enjoy them now, but it does deserve some mention)

2. Mr. T (I actually enjoy these more than Simpsons)

3. Duckman (paved the way for South Park)

4. Tick (sometimes disappointing, sometimes not)

5. South Park (I’m finally seeing quality in them. Do something long enough and you’re bound to get good at it.)

6. Batman: The Animated Series

7. Powerpuff Girls (a select few episodes)

8. Inspector Gadget (bonus points for the theme song)

9. Animaniacs (except for crap like the cat and dog, chicken boo, that little baby, that teenage monster girl thing, etc.)

The greatest cartoon of all time (and one that I’m surprised no one has mentioned)…

1. The Smurfs

Damn straight.

I think that would be Sagwa.

Let me note that I fully blame the producers of “Jonny Quest” for my pathological fear of large spiders.

One of the original episodes involved a mad scientist who built an (almost) indestructible mechanical war machine that looked like a tarantula on steroids. I still have flashbacks of that nail-biting background music as the spider marches along, resisting all efforts to stop it, including Race Bannon, Haji and, um, Bandit.