101 Gadgets That Changed The World

Popular Mechanics put out the list.

Any additions or subtractions? Changes in order?

101 Gadgets That Changed The World
Full list:

1. Duct Tape
  2. Fiberglass Fishing Rod
  3. Stapler
  4. Roomba
  5. Aerosol Spray Can
  6. Quick-Release Ski Binding
  7. Super Soaker
  8. Blender
  9. Bra
  10. Picnic Cooler
  11. Digital Video Recorded
  12. Zippo
  13. Teflon Pan
  14. Flash Drive
  15. Ginsu Knife
  16. Hearing Aid
  17. Sunglasses
  18. Drip Coffeemaker
  19. Toaster
  20. Flashlight
  21. Leaf Blower
  22. Spincast Fishing Reel
  23. Swiss Army Knife
  24. Can Opener
  25. DVD Player
  26. Chainsaw
  27. Electric Blanket
  28. Safety Razor
  29. Printer
  30. Stopwatch
  31. Kodak Carousel
  32. Boombox
  33. Electric Toothbrush
  34. Coleman Lantern
  35. Binoculars
  36. Tape Measure
  37. Zipper
  38. Derringer
  39. Lunchbox
  40. Charcoal Grill
  41. Smoke Detector
  42. Moog Synthesizer
  43. CD-ROM
  44. Outboard Motor
  45. Hair Dryer
  46. Tape Recorder
  47. CB Radio
  48. Ballpoint Pen
  49. Car Jack
  50. Kindle E-Reader
  51. Push Lawnmower
  52. Cassette Tape
  53. Circular Saw
  54. Game Boy
  55. Leatherman
  56. Fire Extinguisher
  57. Sony Walkman
  58. Floppy Disk
  59. Polaroid Camera
  60. MP3 Player
  61. Pocket Calculator
  62. Wi-Fi Router
  63. Electric Drill
  64. Digital HDTV
  65. Wristwatch
  66. 8mm Camera
  67. Mircophone
  68. Digital Camera
  69. Microwave Oven
  70. Computer Mouse
  71. LED
  72. CD Player
  73. Camcorder
  74. Electric Guitar
  75. Blackberry
  76. Crescent Wrench
  77. Hi-Fi
  78. Sewing Machine
  79. Laptop
  80. VCR
  81. Answering Machine
  82. Remote Control
  83. Brownie Point and Shoot Camera
  84. Vacuum Cleaner
  85. Handheld GPS
  86. Transistor Radio
  87. Modem
  88. Typewriter
  89. Match
  90. Bicycle
  91. Dry Cell Battery
  92. Light Bulb
  93. Alarm Clock
  94. Phonograph
  95. Telephone
  96. Portable Air Conditioner
  97. Personal Computer
  98. Hypodermic Syringe
  99. Television
  100. Radio
  101. Mobile/Smartphone

Roomba? Are they really ubiquitous enough to have made any significant impact?

I’m a person in my 30s and I’m pretty sure my friends and I are the “target market” for such a tool and I only know one family/person out of all my friends who has one.

Yeah…the “boombox” changed the world-for the worse!
Thank God we now have Ipods-instead of blasting noise with boomboxes, the Ipod zombies listen in private…and other people don’t have to suffer

Ginsu Knife? :dubious:

Digital HDTV has changed the world? I mean, it’s nice and all, but I’m not seeing it as in the same category as bras, or duct tape, or the hypodermic syringe.

I might have added 3D printers to that list - though maybe that’s just a potential thing at the moment. The idea does have immense potential to change the world, though.

ETA: I also have some grave doubts about calling a bra a gadget, unless I’ve misunderstood and it’s not referring to clothing - in which case, I doubt its world-changing impact, if I’ve never even heard of it…

Exactly what my first thought was.

What’s portable air conditioner doing at #6? Some kind of sponsorship deal? I wouldn’t even have put it on the list.

And what would we do without our electric toothbrushes? Our teeth would fall out, because it’s not like we have some manual method that works.

I’d add the washing machine.

Super soaker?
:confused:

I don’t see the automobile listed. Maybe they don’t consider that a gadget.

The problem with the list is that some of them aren’t gadgets. They are just regular inventions or specialized products. I don’t think of duct tack as gadget for example and neither are DVD players, CD’s, or matches. A list that includes all technology would be much different.

A lot of room to debate what’s a “gadget”- I presume they mean something personally usable on a small scale. And some of the listings seem like near-duplicates: cameras, electronics, digital media, etc.

Derringer? :dubious: I’d have said “revolver” or “handgun”.

How about the Thermos?

Probably “vibrator” should be on the list. :smiley:

Oh, you’re right. “Electric toothbrush” must be a euphemism.

If so, then what does it mean when my dentist reminds me to floss?

1. The wheel.

2. Fire.

3. Shallow lists by an increasingly irrelevant dead-tree publishing house.

Of course those all changed the world. Every invention changed the world. Some of them just didn’t change the world nearly as much as others. Given what they claimed, the list is fine. If they’re trying to claim the 101 biggest changes to the world, though, they’re crazy. Where’s fire, or the wheel, or the spear, bow, or club?

The list should include the telegraph. It’s been superseded now by other technology but it’s impact at the time was bigger than the telephone or the radio or the internet. Those inventions were just improvements of existing communications. The telegraph was the system that first made it possible to have instantaneous communication over long distances.

I think you have to read the article to really understand their reasoning. The Roomba is important as the first mainstream personal robot. The Ginsu Knife for its infomercial marketing style.

Not saying I agree, but it makes a little more sense.

It means he wants you to wear a thong.

Alarm clock but not the clock itself, especially the chronometer that made longitudinal navigation possible?

Handheld GPS but not the compass?

The Super Soaker? The Leatherman?

This looks like a list compiled by bunch of stoners during after-school detention.

Awesome list but not in that order, and a few of the things on the list are just silly. Roomba??? seriously!!!

I agree that its impact was at least as great if not greater than the above, but the reason has at least as much to do with cost as it with speed. Optical telegraphs could get a message across all of Europe in less than a day, but required manned outposts every 2 miles or so. Resultingly they were so expensive that after the Napoleonic Wars they were almost (but not quite) completely abandoned.

For many pieces of information it doesn’t matter if you receive it some time in the day or within a few minutes (allowing for waiting for the telegrapher and transcription times) but both are huge improvements over around a week.