11:11

Does anyone know the significance?
Here at home when we were kids we had make a wish at 11:11, or if you call it before anyone else you’re the only one allowed to talk.
I tried to google it but I only found angels and numerology nonsense.
Can anyone help?

-Lea. :slight_smile:

I had never heard of this until my kids brought the “wish” part of it home from school. Now we do it all the time for fun.
As to the origin of it, I guess it’s a twice daily reminder that your clocks go to 11.

I wonder if the Europeans also make a wish at 22:22?

The wishes really don’t come true. Well, except for ones made at that time on Nov 11 in two years.

Those made on that day in the year 1111 probably worked, for those with clocks precise enough to know exactly when 11:11 was.

In Britain it’s 2:30.

Tooth hurty.

I’ll get my coat.

I made wishes at any time all the numerals on the clock were the same. So I could make a wish at 1:11, 2:22, and so on and so forth. The wish wouldn’t come true, though, if you looked at the clock again before it changed (so you couldn’t look again until 1:12 if you wished on 1:11).

11:11 and other fun clock things

OP, what are you asking? There are different answers depending on whether you want:

• The origin of the custom
  • Who practices the custom
  • Whether it is taken seriously or done as a game
  • The meaning or significance of the custom
  • What variants exist
  • Whether it “works” or not (hint: no).

If you’re just looking for a poll as to who else knows about this, you might ask a mod to move it to IMHO. As a brief run-down of the above, children have had superstitions which give them the illusion of control over a capricious adult universe for millennia, many of them involving time. With the introduction of digital clocks new customs arose based on the patterns: 11:11, 9:11, 12:34, etc. There are many beliefs about wishing, from shooting stars to birthday candles to dandelions, which are also used to tell time. The custom of wishing on a clock may be transferred, ultimately, from the dandelion belief, on which see Iona Opie & Moira Tatem’s Dictionary of Superstitions.

Slightly off-topic – there’s an upcoming independent film called 11:11, which deals with reincarnation. It’s scheduled for release on 11/11/10.

I never heard of any 11:11 significance, then I read this thread. Lat night I watched the movie Duplicity and there was a reference to making a wish @ 11:11.

Oh, and Julia Roberts looks more like a horse with each movie she does.

I have no idea whether this is relevant, but the armistice that ended World War I took place on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month (November 11 at 11:00 AM). (I used to think it took place at 11:11, but Wiki says no.) Anyhow, wishing a war would end and having that wish come true at a conjunction of 11’s might be the reason a combination of 11’s on the clock is considered fortunate.

No cites - just sayin’.

Armistice Day is now celebrated as Veterans day.

Anne, I’ve got that same rule. And, of course, that you can’t tell anyone your wish. In all honesty, I’ve gotten everything I’ve ever wished for on both clocks and necklace clasps.

That is extremely unlikely because the specific practice does not predate digital time displays, and pre-digital magical times tend to coincide with the canonical hours (noon, midnight) or natural time (dawn, dusk). That’s not to say that awareness of a significant historical event on calendrical 11/11 doesn’t add oomph to 11:11, but it’s probably not directly related.