11-year-old singer will make your jaw drop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAJYk1jOhzk

Just watch it. She’s 11 years old, and I honestly can’t think of a current singer who sounds better.

I’m not going to say that this girl isn’t talented; she is. But she’s 11. The music and entertainment industry sees dollars and they are jumping. It isn’t new, but if they put it out, people will listen to it, buy it, and spread the hype.

Again, not hating on HER. The production value on the video is great (except for that creepy boy looking for her). Do we need them to keep convincing the public that we need someone “younger and fresher”? Infant autotune awaits.

Flander, I take it you haven’t seen the movie Frozen. This is an interpretation (it’s far more than just a “cover”) of a major scene in the movie and those characters (the creepy boy for instance) are from the movie.

This is NOT a Lexi Walker video though. She’s getting attention for it but it’s an Alex Boyé video. He’s the “Ice King” singing. The arrangement is his. He takes various popular songs and “Africanizes” them. Sometimes the videos are big and epic, like this one, sometimes they’re filmed in amazing locations, like his Africanized “Paradise” (a Coldplay cover), and sometimes they’re very simple, and quite often surreal and humorous. Here is his “African Tribal” version of Lorde’s “Royals” and here’s his Africanized Symphonic cover of Adele’s “Set Fire To The Rain.” There are several more.

He has original songs too. His “I Am Gold” is interesting and has a great message. It’s pretty too… I haven’t heard the others yet.

He became a US citizen in 2012 and they had him come up onstage and sing the National Anthem. He said he’d sung that at least 100 times prior to becoming a citizen. Him singing it the day he becomes a citizen is moving, even though he does this crazy embellishment that I always hate, no matter who’s doing it. I forgive him.

I know this thread is about Lexi, and let’s hope she protects and keeps her voice, but she was a local singer invited to sing on HIS video, and he’s not exploiting her.

You are correct. :smack:

One thing to keep in mind is that, while girls’ voices don’t change as much with puberty as boys’ do, they do still change some. Yes, she has an amazing voice now, but what will she sound like in five years? Maybe she’ll be even more amazing, but it’s more likely that she’ll revert to the mean.

I also wonder whether she’s capable of live performance. Getting sound like that out of child-sized lungs has to be tiring. I’ve a hunch that that song was recorded in multiple sessions, with rest in between.

Until now she’s ONLY done live performances. Search YouTube and you’ll see various renditions, particularly Pie Jesu, Somewhere Over the Rainbow & the National Anthem. She’s known in Utah, as is Alex Boye (he was a member of the Morman Tabernacle Choir). This Boye video is and will get her (and Boye) national, if not international attention. It’s all up to her parents now, how to (or even if) transition from a local singer to the big time. Let’s hope they’re smart, savvy, get good advice, and follow it. I’m sure Boye will keep an eye on her too.

Flander, you should see Frozen, it’s pretty good. It’s almost certainly going to win the Oscar for Best Animated Film. “Let It Go” is one of the nominated Best Original Songs and is a favorite to win.

In the movie that princess has been hiding away most of her life because she can turn people and everything to ice. When she finally tries to be a normal person it all goes terribly wrong and she flees the kingdom for the mountains. In this sequence she uses her powers to build herself an ice castle where she can be Queen but not hurt anyone. One of the characters looking for her is her loving sister, who wants her back home. There’s a lot more to it, that’s just a synopsis to help you understand the Boye video.

I loved the ice castle sequence in the the movie because it’s so beautiful, but didn’t think much of the song. Now that I’ve watched the Boye video about 10 times, I love the song too. I’ll have to see what I think when I see Frozen again. I’m not into that belty Broadway stuff and it’s sung by a belty Broadway singer. I might like it even less because I’ll miss the Africanized elements.

And that awesome Children’s Choir! I wish I could see these people and this version performed at the Oscars.

It just occurred to me, regarding Lexi, that with THAT voice and control she has, she’s probably been singing like that long enough that I’d bet her parents thought about or were even pressured to put her on a show like America’s Got Talent or whatever. The fact that she hasn’t indicates that they do have their heads on straight, which means that Lexi probably does too.

Of course I’m speaking from ignorance because at this point I don’t know a thing about her or her family (though one article about her Real Salt Lake National Anthem has the Comment “A talented girl from a great family” which is nice). I see articles and appearances on Ellen in her future so we’ll soon know more. Unless her parents don’t allow those, which would certainly be fine.