11th hour #metoo accusations

So, if women begin to feel empowered to report sexual assaults against powerful politicians and try to let voters know that the man running for office is a predator, in your mind that will give you “bragging rights.” Are you at all concerned that maybe these allegations are true? Does that in any way factor into your thinking? Follow up question: do you consider yourself to be a good person?

Obviously in some cases power and prestige can corrupt. But since when is this thread about successful people in general and not politicians? The post I quoted was a response to someone wondering if

(bolding mine).

White males make up the majority of our country’s leadership and high office positions, so the idea that, for example, Brett Kavanaugh, might be “willing to take risks and break boundaries” when it comes to women because that’s what it took for him to gain his success is a bit ridiculous. It also doesn’t mesh with the timeline of accusations in his particular case, seeing as they occurred during his HS and college years, before he was successful. What it does mesh with is someone who has grown up surrounded by wealth and privilege, who already has a sense of entitlement at an early age.

Would you blame a meterologist for a hurricane? A seismologist for a volcanic eruption? How can I tell if a predicted future allegation is true or not?

You are becoming increasingly incoherent, comrade.

Eh, celebrity entertainer & politician & professional athlete & CEO are all the same wine in different bottles. They are all people who crave power & recognition and apply their particular natural talents to getting it. People who crave power, but respect rules, tend not to get through the competition. Yeah, positions in government tend to go to white dudes because being White opens its own set of doors, but that’s just a detail. Kavanaugh is a sociopath who made use of the opportunities available to him. Same for Cosby, Spacey, any number of Entertainment industry executives… Race only affects some of the paths available to a sociopath, as does gender, intelligence, and personality.

Fine, they didn’t debunk that one sentence, I’ll go ahead and debunk it now:

Unemployment in general and unemployment specifically of the groups you mention has been on the decline, steadily, since 2010, in a trend that continues from President Obama’s first term through today. In other words, he’s taking credit for a trend that began long before he took office. There is no indication that Trump has done anything to increase the rate at which unemployment has been decreasing. Cite.

My challenge to you: point to anything specific Trump has done to cause lower unemployment among the named minorities. “Cutting taxes on corporations” is not sufficient, since monthly job creation numbers have not increased since the [del]deficit increases[/del] tax cuts.

Dr. Blasey did not make an 11th hour accusation; she made it in June/ July of this year. About when Kavanaugh’s name popped up nationwide.

I support her and believe she is speaking honestly, but naive to think her name would not come out.

I condemn one of my two senators, DiFi, for sitting on this until the 11th hour for political purposes. She should have immediately brought this up.

(I dislike Sen. Harris for what appears to me as generating sound bites for her expected Presidential run. There is little of substance coming from her.)

True, but the Democrats sat on it until the 11th hour.

So, you are blaming the victim for how the authorities handled the information. Got it.

Regardless if she has been used as a political football, if Dr Ford is reliable we are at risk of seating an unrepentant sexual abuser on the Supreme Court.

I know this isn’t your country but many if us here are concerned.

While Obama was President, Kansas City won the World Series for the first time in 30 years! Does that prove that Obama is not the Antichrist, or that he was born in Hawaii?

I dont think it will be as common simply because I dont think you will see a woman waiting 36 years to come forward again.

Women nowadays feel stronger and more empowered than ever. Society also helps them so therefore, if say a 15 year old girl was held down by a boy I dont think she will be as afraid of coming forward even if she was drunk and lied to her parents about where she was.

AND with the web girls will quickly tell all the BF’s who will tell her to tell someone.

Men, if they havent learned to control themselves and respect women, will be more afraid to try things.

So, to summarize - woman nowadays come forward more often and sooner. Men wont try this as often. Therefore we will see even fewer last minute metoo’s.

All true BUT he has been a federal judge for over 20 years. Why wait till now to grow a backbone?

It’s not about backbone at all – this comment shows you have very little understanding of how our society treats accusers. She didn’t come forward earlier because she had little or no reason to believe coming forward would have done anything but harm herself.

As has been noted many, many times before, our society, and institutions within it, generally treat accusers of sexual assault and rape – especially when the alleged perpetrator is wealthy and/or powerful – like utter crap. It’s no wonder that most women who are sexually assaulted and raped stay silent.

Apparently now Kellyanne Conway is saying, to CNN and elsewhere, that she is a victim of sexual assault. It appears that she’s making some kind of point of, “And I’m not complaining about it, so nyahh to Christine Ford and her allegations.”

My first thought: I believe her, and if she wants help and support, I hope she gets it.

My second thought: Why did she wait so long to come forward? Why didn’t she report it to the police right away? Why did she stay quiet about it until it was convenient for her to make a political point?

You may recognize the “second thought” as the same BS that Republicans are throwing at Dr. Ford. What’s good for the goose, right Kellyanne?

1., what iiandyiiii said, and

2., she might not have known. Do you know all the members of the various Federal benches? I don’t; I’d never heard Kavanaugh’s name until he was introduced as a SCOTUS nominee. And finally,

3., what iiandyiiii said.

I think you are wrong in many ways.
Do women feel stronger and more empowered than ever now? Very subjective. I would say, no not particularly. What I notice is that women are fucking angry, and that anger was lit by a serial sexual abuser winning the white house over a woman, and very much BECAUSE she was a woman. Being angry and feeling empowered are very different things.

The vast majority of sexual harassment of all kinds, and sexual assaults and rapes are not reported, not talked about to anyone, by and large (and that would include male victims too). For this to change, there would have to be an enormous tidal wave of change in almost every facet of life for women, at least in those parts that include men. That simply is not happening right now. So that statement is just a man’s totally wrong assessment based on his own completely ignorant subjective opinion. To be polite.

If you think “girls” get on the web and tattle to their “girlfriends” about sexual abuse, you are um, wrong. I could say "wrong’ in stronger terms, the very strongest terms I know. But I won’t. You will never know how hard it is for women to tell the truth. The #metoo movement is not about making telling the truth so easy everybody’s going to do it. It’s about making it possible at all. The vast majority of women, still, are silent.

If every single person in these boards explained every single instance where we’ve been sexually harassed or assaulted, we’d break the server.

I just have to respond to this part. In what way are women feeling stronger and more empowered? You may not have noticed it, but we’re in the process of dismantling access to abortion and the president just mocked the victim of sexual assault to a cheering crowd.

Right? In the why I didn’t report thread, I told of only one instance. I could tell a lot more stories. I just told my 40 year old daughter about a date rape that happened to me before she was born. She’s the first and only person I’ve ever told the story to.

I run into this a lot - and it really is this simple - you can both believe and support an accuser without doing a damn thing to the alleged offender. We tend to exist in a punitive “Let’s get the BAD GUY” type of world, but that is really kind of secondary. You can believe and support someone and allow the investigative process to work on the other side.