14 k of g in a f p d

[QUOTE=Walter Windchill]
I disagree that it’s close to making sense, since Ptolemaic rulers were not called Kings, and ruled Egypt, not Greece, and there were more than 14 of them. There were even more than 14 named “Ptolemy.”

[/QUOTE]

They ruled Egypt as Greek invaders. It is unusual but not unheard of to call Egyptian Pharoahs kings. And as to the last point, Egyptian history is not always a certainty. I’ll admit we know a lot more about the Ptolemaic period than we do about the Predynastic age, but it is possible that there 14 rather than 15 Ptolemys.

But I really don’t care. I swear.
-Lil

So do you doubt the existence of Ptolemy XV or one of the others? Just curious.

It’s not that I have personal feelings about any of the Ptolemaic dynasty. It’s equally likely, and probably more so, that there were fifteen kings named Ptolemy. We have king lists with Ptolemy XV’s name on them, so that’s certainly evidence. If so he was a child king who ruled with Cleopatra until she commited suicided and Ocatavion ordered him killed. So yeah, I guess I don’t like that like that answer either. I dunno if it’s for the same reason. It can’t really Auto Trader having a quiz question about Ptolemaic Egypt.
-Lil

[QUOTE=Walter Windchill]
So do you doubt the existence of Ptolemy XV or one of the others? Just curious.
[/QUOTE]

Did you not read my earlier post? Ptolemy VII never ruled Egypt. He was killed in infancy. So technically, there were only 14 Ptolemaic “kings”. It would seem this argument would be better served in a separate thread in another forum, so I, for one, am not arguing it further.

If you added the sevens and eights to a standard pinochle deck, you’d have 14 kinds of gin in a fortified pinochle deck.

Wow. I go out of town for a week and I come back to find…a debate about Ptolemaic Dynasties.

I love this forum. :smiley:

Actually, Chef, I did miss your earlier post.

In any case, I am pretty sure that the Ptolemic kings are not what the ditloid is about. Even if the word “full” is pointlessly inserted just to accomodate the “f,” the fact remains that nobody could call Ptolemic rulers “Kings of Greece,” without lexical chicanery beyond the ability of Auto Trader editors. Yes, they are Kings, and yes, they are “of Greece,” in the sense that they are Greek, but they didn’t preside over Greece.

“14 kinds of gin in a Finnish pub dammit”

“14 kinds of germs in a frozen pizza delivery”

"14 kinds of geek in alt.fan.danny-partridge "

“14 kinds of gup in a foully pooping dog”

“14 kinds of gizmos in a flat-panel display”

“14 songs of Kenny G in a Friggin’ Platinum Disk”

MUST be one of these.

I’d just like to say I know how to spell Octavian(not Octavion damn it). I make no claims on any other word.
-Lil

[QUOTE=percypercy]
It’s not that I have personal feelings about any of the Ptolemaic dynasty.
[/QUOTE]
It’s OK, this is a safe place. If there’s anywhere that you can admit your personal feelings about a Ptolemaic dynasty, it’s the SDMB.

[QUOTE=blaggard]
Damn, thought I was getting somewhere with 14 kilotons of gunpowder …
It’s more or less the power of the Hiroshima bomb, depending on where you look.
(fission powered device?) (Fissile plutonium?). Back to the drawing board.
[/QUOTE]

No, nuclear devices (and all explosives, for that matter) are rated in terms of TNT equivalence, not gunpowder equivalence.

Umm… according to post#39, this puzzler appears on an online Mensa test (link). I searched and could not find this question. Maybe it was an error and has been removed?

[QUOTE=TwoTrouts]
Umm.. according to post#39, this puzzler appears on an online Mensa test (link). I searched and could not find this question. Maybe it was an error and has been removed?
[/QUOTE]

See post #50.

[QUOTE=mittu]
Stay your pitchforks for the moment, please!

Just popping by to let you know I haven’t forgotten, will probably be seeing the guy at some point this weekend so i’ll see if I can find out when this competition ends.

I really hope the answer isn’t a groaner, I really really do… (my life may depend on it)
[/QUOTE]

[chirp chirp, chirp chirp]

[QUOTE=Wordworker]
Well, if you laid all the gravel end-to-end, you see…
[/QUOTE]
…then I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised.

[QUOTE=Siam Sam]
"14 kinds of geek in alt.fan.danny-partridge "
[/QUOTE]

Has anyone else tried to use the ‘a’ as something other than ‘a’? I don’t remember what I read two weeks ago. Maybe that’s why nobody got it yet because we all assume the ‘a’ is just ‘a’…

Haha, never mind me, they went over that on the first page…

[QUOTE=mittu]
Stay your pitchforks for the moment, please!

Just popping by to let you know I haven’t forgotten, will probably be seeing the guy at some point this weekend so i’ll see if I can find out when this competition ends.
[/QUOTE]
**Weekend Over! Hulk Want Answer Now! :mad: :stuck_out_tongue: **

Bump.

Bump.

Bump.

Sharpen pitchforks people…

14 kinds of galled in a fucking platitudinous diatribe!

Where is my answer?!?!?!?