14 k of g in a f p d

Just a passing thought, perhaps it’s 14 in a system other than decimal. Obviously binary is out, but how about octal or hexidecimal?

That would be lame, but if you can think of anything that makes sense of “k of g in a p f d,” I’m happy to torture the numbers to make it fit.

[QUOTE=danceswithcats]
Just a passing thought, perhaps it’s 14 in a system other than decimal. Obviously binary is out, but how about octal or hexidecimal?
[/QUOTE]

I tried many lame combinations on the supposition that “14” = “one for”.

[QUOTE=Chefguy]
14 kings of ___ in a full Ptolemy dynasty?
[/QUOTE]

Giza?

[QUOTE=if6was9]
Giza?
[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm…not bad.

[QUOTE=mittu]
meep!! I never expected all this from an innocent question. Apologies for abandoning the thread but I have had a lot of computer problems recently so my access is erratic.

I’m afraid I can’t shed any more light on the question, a friend of mine sent it along with others to me in a text message, they were all easy to answer except that one. I believe that he got them in a list from his work, I am seeing him later this afternoon so I will make sure that there isn’t a typo in the message he sent me. I would think he will be able to get the answer from whoever gave him the list at work so one way or another we should find an answer eventually.
[/QUOTE]
Sigh. Ugly International Incident avoided. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Colophon]
14 keys…?
14 knives…?

Just trying to come up with some more Ks that haven’t been thought of.
[/QUOTE]

14 kegs of Guinness in a…
14 kilos of grass in a…

ah, nevermind.

Well, I’m a Brit who tends to do reasonably well with this kind of puzzle, and I’m no closer than any of you Yanks, so I don’t think it’s a Britishism. Of course, it could be one that I’ve never heard of :).

[QUOTE=Walter Windchill]
That would be lame, but if you can think of anything that makes sense of “k of g in a p f d,” I’m happy to torture the numbers to make it fit.
[/QUOTE]

k of g immediately gives me Kingdom of God in my head. But p f d…I keep making it pdf in my head OR I keep changing it into v f d (because I am reading the last Lemony Snicket aloud to my youngest).
But, in looking in the dictionary, I DID find the coolest word for today’s current admin etc. It’s kakistocracy: government by the worst men in the state. :smiley:

14 kakistocracies in a pretty fucked democracy.

[QUOTE=Dead Cat]
Well, I’m a Brit who tends to do reasonably well with this kind of puzzle, and I’m no closer than any of you Yanks, so I don’t think it’s a Britishism. Of course, it could be one that I’ve never heard of :).
[/QUOTE]
Whew! I was worried that it was 14 knackers of gobsmack in a fettled petrol dodgem, or something…

[QUOTE=Chefguy]
Fourteen karat gold would seem to be a natural, except for the unnatural necessity of saying 14 karats of gold.
[/QUOTE]

It sounded awkward to me too, but on the off chance that it may be “official language” in the world of precious metals I exact-phrase-googled it and found that there were a few people who phrased it in that way, but nothing immediately apparent in any official context.

It was worth a try anyway.

As an FYI, I’ve seen these puzzles referred to as “ditloids”, which may help any further web search attempts.

Just wondering if this becomes the new “three words which end in -gry”?

hungry, angry, and… hm. What’s the third?

Kidding, kidding.

Interesting… I quickly learned by googling that word (“Ditloid”) that this puzzle was invented by Will Shortz, now editor of the NYT crossword puzzle.

Could it be 14 kinds of gas in a flat panel display?

[QUOTE=Walter Windchill]
hungry, angry, and… hm. What’s the third?

Kidding, kidding.
[/QUOTE]

Nugry.

[QUOTE=Quartz]
Could it be 14 kinds of gas in a flat panel display?
[/QUOTE]

Could be, except that it makes no sense.

[QUOTE=Inigo Montoya]
Nugry.
[/QUOTE]

That’s excellent.

It will be more excellent if it catches on and actually becomes a word some day. Then, the puzzle will just be a straight up puzzle with no stupid trick language, and will eventually move into oblivion because it is too mundane.

[QUOTE=Inigo Montoya]
Nugry.
[/QUOTE]

gryphon (you didn’t say WHICH end)

[QUOTE=Peter Morris]
gryphon (you didn’t say WHICH end)
[/QUOTE]

That has to be the best answer I’ve ever seen to that “puzzle.”