17,000 posts full of shit...yeah YOU, handy

I like Handy. There’s often (not always, but often) a little sting in the tail of some of those short posts of his.

You mean like this example, where someone is asking about 16-year-olds getting a checking account?

• Joe Random posts that 16-year-olds can’t enter contracts.
  • SnoopyFan posts what he/she claims to be 3 examples of contracts that they can, in fact, enter and suggests that there might be more exceptions, offering a few.
  • A half hour later, in the next post in the thread handy comes along and posts that 16-year-olds can’t enter contracts, and throws in a Judge Judy non sequitur.

auntnut, the ignore function only covers up the post. You still see the ignored person’s name, and a big blank space where the post was, saying that you’re ignoring this person, so click this link to see the post if you really want to. So that doesn’t speed anything up regarding loading time. Nor does it address Otto’s point about the level of misinformation coming from such a prolific poster. (handy was forbidden by the mods to post on any medically-related matters - at least in GQ if not elsewhere - due to this in the past.)

I’ll have to agree with The Loaded Dog. At first his posts can seem disjointed compared with the rest of the thread, but there’s usually a little bite to them upon sencond read…or maybe I’m just slow… :wink:

DANGER! DANGER!

It is a serious violation of board policy to discuss the ignore function. All o’ y’all might want to back away from that topic forthwith.

I admit, I let him get to me and started a pit thread myself. I even focused on bandwidth and his wasting of it. Nothing really came of that thread either.

My personal solution was to start giving him the “Handy treatment.”

If I do get hit by a bus anytime soon, you’re at the top of my afterlife shit list, pal. :smiley:

Otto, just today I was gonna ask you if you were a lawyer because I’ve often seen you post legal-type information that seemed spot on, and you’re handy at digging up statutes.

So, keep up the good work even though you haven’t spent three years getting Socraticized.

Re the OP: I’ve been hanging around here for a little while now and I’m wondering why I don’t seem to have noticed Handy one way or the other.

Not to worry. Most times when I see a post discussing the ‘ignore’ function, I just ignore it.

Whoops.

Nah, saying who is on it is against the board policy, not discussing it.

A: If you wish to ignore a poster, and cannot do so yourself manually, for whatever reason, their is an ignore feature enabled.
Which is fine.

B: Wow, I’m glad I have poster B on my ignore list. Goodbye idiot.
Which isn’t.

Eh. I’ve never minded handy. If I don’t find some of his posts useful, well, I just skim past them. No biggie.

As of now Q.E.D. posts 14.6 more posts per day than handy. handy has a 16957 - 6627 = 10330 post lead. 10,330/14.6 = 707.5 days(just under two years) until Achillies catches the tortise.

Enjoy,
Steven

(bolding mine)

Interesting choice of words, Taxguy :smiley:

some one has time on their hands, I see.

:smiley:

Well, yes. But the context of the current discussion is fraught with peril. A: “I find member X annoying!” B: “You know, there’s an ignore list.” A: “Ah yes, that’s much better!”

I’m just sayin’, is all, before people get themselves in trouble.

Thanks. I’m a (non-practicing) paralegal so I’ve been trained how to do legal research.

I made the decision a long time ago that not only was handy an idiot, but someone who would rather wallow in his ignorance rather than own up to his mistakes.

Oh, and he’s a sad, pathetic excuse for a human being.

DANGER!!! DANGER!!!
IT IS A SERIOUS VIOLATION OF BOARD POLICY TO SUGGEST SOMEONE IS A SOCK!!!

:smiley: :smiley:

WOAH!!!

Sorry about the size there, I meant 4, not 6.
:o :o

Quite frankly, as long as people don’t listen to his misinformation (does he ever actually care if he’s wrong? Does he make an effort to be right or just type the first thing that comes to mind?), I don’t give a shit if he posts that the moon is made of GWB’s droppings.

It’s when the thread concerns something of actual importance and he comes in with doggerel. And when it’s a newbie posting it, they don’t know to check his facts twice for him because he doesn’t. He can look mighty convincing to a newbie (speaking as a former newbie who once thought that handy, because he had so many posts, had to know something about what he was posting).

SOP around here, as far as I’m concerned (and I realize the partial irony in me, a big-postcount-doper, “flaming” handy for what he does), ought to be that you admit when you’re shown to be wrong about something factual (“2+2=17 for all systems!” “Nope. Cite.” “Oops, sorry!”). But if that were the case the number in the OP would be a lot closer to 30K, and handy wouldn’t have much time at all to teach innocent surfer girls the wrong words for stuff in ASL. And we can’t demand anything more than quantitative superiority when we know we can’t expect so much as qualitative mediocrity.

Of course, I’d rather, given the choice, see someone with 125 good, thought-provoking, honest and complete posts than someone with 500 handy posts. But we get what we pay for.

Not that anyone here (not even Kyberneticist), could do much by themselves to actually have an impact on this server, but…

Do you think that opening a thread on a subject that’s already been discussed several times in the past, presumably reloading the page a few times to read the new responses, and then posting to the thread 3 more times in the same day, is any easier on the server than Handy’s posting?