1980s Song Help Desperately Needed

I’m looking for a song from the 80s. My sister and I had it on a tape we made from a radio braodcast sometime in the early 1980s, probably the summer of 1981 or 1982.

I know next to nothing about the song, but here is what I do know:

The song, or at least the refrain part, was sung by a woman in an operatic, melodramatic style. It seemed like a sad song, but I was only 12 or so at the time, so who knows how well I understood it?

It was a fairly slow song, with some synthesizer or similar instrument doing the drum parts. I highly doubt it would have been considered New Wave.

These are the words I remember, from the refrain (though I am known for my mondegreens, so…)

“Midnight blue
I always think of you
Gone now, and forever
Oh, let the music play.”

I am pretty certain it was not done by Linda Rondstadt, Melissa Manchester, Lou Gramm, or ELO (though I could be wrong about the last). I’ve been able to listen to snippets of those on http://www.cdnow.com , and they don’t sound right.

In any case, I am looking to get my hands on the song for a project I am working on, but need to know who did it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ELO’s Midnight Blue"?

I don’t think so. The words just don’t seem right, but I’ll try to get a sample of it tonight to verify. Thanks for trying, I really appreciate it.

http://www.geocities.com/dexxus/l/049.html

???

::WARNING overuse of exclamation points imminent::

HOLY COW!! HOLY COW!! HOLY COW!! HOLY COW!! HOLY COW!!

That is IT! How do I make a smily to give you a HUGE KISS!!!

Coldfire deserves a kiss, too, for giving it the old college try.

THANK YOU!!! I am forever in your debt! Is there a question I can answer in return??

Your reaction is all the thanks I could ever want. That’s a big part of what the SDMB is all about - answering questions just for the satisfaction of answering a question. I was listening to a 1980’s compilation CD so your question just stood out. Judging by the comments on amazon about this disc, Midnight Blue by Louise Tucker, you are far from alone in your love of this music. I think I just might buy it myself.

BTW, I actually own this CD, so if you’d like to hear it, let me know. (It’s the least I could do after that great tip on Boston Beer Works.):slight_smile:

Mjollnir,
Thanks for the offer. I would like to hear a song or two. What do you think is the best song on the album?

I’m glad the BBW tip worked out for you. Did you find a good t-shirt?

I don’t know for sure that the CD I have is the one on amazon.com. The actual CD I have is Charlie Skarbek and Louise Tucker, which includes the song “Midnight Blue.” That is definitely the best song. The others are OK, but nothing great. If you wanna (taped) copy, let me know.

And. . .

Yep, I picked up two shirts from BBW–one with a pumpkin/jack o’lantern logo, and one with a weight lifter. I’m not a beer drinker, but I had to admit their pumpkin beer was pretty tasty.