2006 Primetime Emmy Nominations

We’ve got new rules in place that somehow keep the powerhouses from racking up multiple consecutive wins this year. Maybe that explains the diversity of the nominations. (The list can be checked here.

Here are a couple of my favorites

South Park “Trapped in the Closet”

Kyra Sedgewick for Lead Actress The Closer

Alan Alda as Best Supporting Actor in a Drama (The West Wing)

But I thibnk I would have nonmination Chadra Wilson instead of Sandra Oh for Best Supporting Actress (Grey’s Anatomy.). Dr. Bailey rocks!

What a bleak time for comedy tv shows, when the best choices are “Arrested Development”, “Curb your Enthusiasm”, “Scrubs” and “2 and a half men”.

…Actually this is the first year in a long time that I think the comedy selections are dead on… except for Two and Half Men… the studio lobbying ofr that one must have been off the charts.
Scrubs or the Office will win it this year.

Started at the same time, this thread is slightly longer. A mod should lock one of them up.

12 nominations for “24”??? What did they do, just divide by 2? There is no way that show deserves even one Emmy nomination except possibly for Kiefer. The show has become a parody of itself.

Which is bad, as it was a parody to begin with.

The 24 nominations aren’t so bad. A bunch of them are for editing, sound, etc, which the show does well.

Yeah, like how they edit out how long it really takes to get from point A to point B in LA? :smiley: What is the sound of a milliong people dying…?

President Weedyface and First Lady Thorazine were nominated! As was Bullshit! sans asterisk.

No Hugh Laurie, boo, hiss.

A very interesting article giving insight into why some shows and actors were and weren’t nominated (highlighting how critically important the selection of submission tapes is). Well done.

Did I miss something?

No nominations for Edie Falco and James Gandolfini for “The Sopranos”

That doesn’t seem right.

A lot of it comes down to the individual performance tapes the actors submit to the panels. Unfortunately, it’s impossible for voters to see every episode of every eligible series, so actors are required to submit an episode (two for supporting categories) that best represents their best work from the season. Not completely fair, but that’s how the system currently works, so if an actor chooses poorly, it can hurt their chances.

Here’s a great thread that’s itemizing all the episodes (being converted to YouTube clips) submitted by the nominated actors. Since I don’t get HBO, it was a fantastic opportunity to see the hilarious “Ski Life” episode from Curb Your Enthusiasm (Larry David’s submission).

I’m tickled that Lisa Kudrow was nominated for The Comeback. It took me awhile to get into the show – Valerie was so unlikeable – but it grew on me. By the end, I was rooting for her.

Deadwood wasn’t eligible this year, but I have high hopes for next year, especially for W. Earl Brown and Gerald McRaney. Standouts, they are.

They’ve just announced the jury winners (those selected outside the balloting process). Here’s the full list.

So Kelsey Grammer joins most of the Simpsons cast in winning a voice-over Emmy (though Harry Shearer still hasn’t won one yet).

And Robot Chicken can now call itself an Emmy-winning show!

I started a thread way back when about the death of the sitcom, and this list proves it…however, I think Curb Your Enthusiasm and Two And A Half Men are at least funny, unlike the other nominees.

Glad also to see Lisa Kudrow nominated…the show “The Comeback” took awhile to warm up to, but the payoff was worth it.

In what possible world is Two and a Half Men funny, but Scrubs and AD not?? Admittedly, I find 2.5 fairly humorous, but nowhere close to the comedic gold that the other two shows provide(d) on a weekly basis.

The sitcom may be dead, but really, if 2.5 Men is the best that can be found from the genre, good riddance!